A Nice Thread All About The Psp

okay I didn't know we could connect already... you connect directly thru the PSP or what? Very interesting.

Hey this may seem stupid to mention, but it surprised me when it happened the other day, and I thought this is a very cool little feature many people may never even find out about.

if you are playing a game, and the battery dies and the system shuts off, don't worry at all, for the system has not died, rather, it automatically enters sleep mode. So when you charge it up, as long as you have left that same game in the system (or even if you haven't... ) the game will resume from where you left off (if you have removed the disk the game will still play, and you can put the disk back in).

Why has no handheld before this had this feature!!!!

wonder what the updates will do.....

Anyone having problems with scratching their screens? As meticulous and careful as I am with it, and using a special lint free cloth (the kind you get at a place where you buy glasses) and spray, it seems I am unable to prevent small hairline scratches from accumalating. I tried buying one of those protective screen covers, but they are VERY hard to apply w/o getting dust underneath and hence air bubbles, and even when I did get it on perfectly and dust free, it really looked like crap IMO... I'd rather just not use it. Though it's apparent that the front face plate can be removed and replaced, it doesn't look to be too easy, the screws holding this thing together are VERY tight, and also, if you saw the photo shoot from Lik Sang where they take it apart, it's very apparent that you would have to damage the foam rubber seal that seals the LCD to the faceplate to keep out dust.... you can sea clearly in their pictures the seal is destroyed. So it doesn't look like it'd be something you could just pop on and off like a GBA or GP32.

Also, I'm not sure, but I think the mere act of inserting and removing the PSP from the slip case that came in the value pack, may be causing some scratches as well, as I always wipe the screen from top to bottom when I clean it, yet there are also horizontal scratches which must be from the case brushing back and forth horizontally across the face of the unit.

I'm selling my guitar in preperation of buying one of these, I think I'll wait until the UK launch though, as I wouldn't buy a Sony product without a warrenty.

I'm selling my guitar in preperation of buying one of these, I think I'll wait until the UK launch though, as I wouldn't buy a Sony product without a warrenty.
That's harsh, you any good on it? My Dad had to sell his super-expensive one when he had to buy a house etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm torn at the moment between getting it at the US launch or holding out for UK

its becoming apparent that the UK and US launches will be very close, but i'm thinking the price differences could be enough to justify the import.

i want to get myself the psp, a 512mb card and then three games, as with most things it'll be far cheaper to import!

So I WAS right, it is cheaper to import stuff from the US... is the exchange rate benefitting you all in the UK as much as it's hurting us in the US?

For guys who are still interested in importing the Japanese version, prices are dropping pretty dramatically on Ebay. I just saw two go today for 'decent' prices... a value pack with the demo disk for $320 US, and a value pack with Ridge Racers for $380 US. This is WAY down from how they were a few weeks ago, $500-600-700 area. If you think about it, the $320 US for a value pack, isn't even that much more than the actual retail cost of the thing. Remember, the Japanese regular pack is approximately $185 USD, I'm figuring the value pack adds at least $60 on top of that, so you're paying less than a $100 premium right about now to get an import. If I hadn't already bought one, I'd buy one :)

For anyone in the US, you guys should be aware, if you're not already, that at least one major chain has already started taking preorders on them (Gamestop), and if this is gonna be anything like the last few console releases, you really should preorder if you dont' want to scramble like mad to get your hands on one when they release.

So I WAS right, it is cheaper to import stuff from the US... is the exchange rate benefitting you all in the UK as much as it's hurting us in the US?

well its always been the case that electrical goods etc can be had for much cheaper from the US than the UK, we just get bent over here. when companies are selling stuff in the states it seems they just change the $ to £ and let us lap it up.

naturally the weak (comparatively) dollar at present has meant that this is even worse/better!

Back to the homebrew idea: gp32_console

This is taken from an article [http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,,1639233,00.asp] from extremetech about a conference offered by the chipset makers of the PSP.

"The host CPU block will also contain a security sub-block designed to protect data and help prevent hacking the PSP, its games, or the stored data. "

This is pretty much what all of us expected..look for a physical mod to override this, much like the xbox, etc.

More very good specs can be found therein.

Back to the homebrew idea: gp32_console

This is taken from an article [http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,,1639233,00.asp]  from extremetech about a conference offered by the chipset makers of the PSP. 

"The host CPU block will also contain a security sub-block designed to protect data and help prevent hacking the PSP, its games, or the stored data. "

This is pretty much what all of us expected..look for a physical mod to override this, much like the xbox, etc. 

More very good specs can be found therein.

That is ok I want the PSP for the commercial games anyway. It is better for the system if it takes awhile to be hacked. Big third party developers will tend to support it more if the system is secure.

Homebrew is what the GP32 is for anyway.

For guys who are still interested in importing the Japanese version, prices are dropping pretty dramatically on Ebay. I just saw two go today for 'decent' prices... a value pack with the demo disk for $320 US, and a value pack with Ridge Racers for $380 US. This is WAY down from how they were a few weeks ago, $500-600-700 area. If you think about it, the $320 US for a value pack, isn't even that much more than the actual retail cost of the thing. Remember, the Japanese regular pack is approximately $185 USD, I'm figuring the value pack adds at least $60 on top of that, so you're paying less than a $100 premium right about now to get an import. If I hadn't already bought one, I'd buy one :)

For anyone in the US, you guys should be aware, if you're not already, that at least one major chain has already started taking preorders on them (Gamestop), and if this is gonna be anything like the last few console releases, you really should preorder if you dont' want to scramble like mad to get your hands on one when they release.

Honestly while I want one bad, I will wait for the US release. The Japanese units are dodgy (just like PS2s were), and I don't want any dead pixels. And no one knows for sure if EVERYTHING will be regeon free.

Okay, first off even when they come to the US, I would count on dead pixels. As has been said before, even on high priced laptops and even televisions, dead pixels are just a fact of life... Personally, I dont' think I've ever seen a laptop that DIDN'T have one (at least)...

In Japan, Sony are honoring the warranty on units with dead pixels, but only if it is more than one... I've heard they will not replace the system/lcd unless it's at least like 3 or 4 of them. Sony are not well known for their awesome customer service in ANY region... I wouldn't expect their policy to be much different here. Secondly, pixels on the PSP are SOOOOOOOO small! they are so very hard to notice... it really just looks like another small speck of dust on the screen. I only notice the one dead pixel I have on very dark backgrounds, and even then I have to actively look for it.

Honestly I don't know in what other way one might consider them 'dodgy' unless they are thinking ahead to possible longevity problems.

And no, EVERYTHING will NOT be region free. Sony reps have stated very, VERY clearly, that games WILL be region free, but any other kind of media that may release on UMD's (movies, music) will NOT be. This is straight from Sony. Their reasoning on not region locking games is that, they understand the PSP is the kind of upscale gadget that businessmen and the like will want and buy... people who may travel a lot, and that when these people may be visiting other regions, Sony wants them to be able to buy games from whereever they are and have them work on their PSP's.

I'm very close to buying another Japanese one for my wife. Waiting til they dip down just a little bit more, sub $300 would be nice for a value pack (seen them as low as $320 so far).

Back