A most humble apology and a retraction

ZXDunny

Deep avatar
To Craig and the Pandora team -

Many apologies for my earlier comments, and many thanks for the email. If I had a hat, I'd eat it. Looking forward to tomorrow now :)

D.

He made a post about how some1 before him in the queue got an dispatch email, I guess he got his too,, congrats

Yeah, email was sitting in my inbox when I got back from walking the dog. I am rather chuffed now!

D.

Yeah, email was sitting in my inbox when I got back from walking the dog. I am rather chuffed now!
It is still a little curious that orders aren't being sent out exactly in the order emails were received. Based on the evidence, I'm imagining some kind of multi-queue system (like, if there were 3 or 4 workers that normally package stuff, when you order it may randomly go into one of their queues to be packaged): if they had a steady flow of outgoing, you wouldn't really notice when one ordered a few minutes earlier gets processed a little later by someone else, but because of huge delays and close monitoring of timestamps, we do. This would also explain why they can't give an exact queue position: "Well, you're position 180 in PersonC's queue, which should put you somewhere around position 540 overall, but PersonA tends to work faster than the other two, so she might get through an extra 40 before PersonC gets to your's, but then again... why don't we just say somewhere between 500 and 600?"

I've seen a similar system at other plants before. As a contract consultant, I replaced a few of them with superior priority queue systems.

i believe you owe us a 1000 word review once you receive you unit, thats the only way we'll let you back into the club

i believe you owe us a 1000 word review once you receive you unit, thats the only way we'll let you back into the club

Or even make a hat out of rice paper, eat it and post vid on youtube.

Congrats, Dunny. :) I'm looking forward to reading your first impressions, if you're planning on publishing them.

I'd especially love to know how the new nubs are (mine has the old-type nubs, from the point when they were testing them and cherry-picking the ones that passed :p ), although I suppose that might be more than a bit difficult to describe if you haven't experienced the old ones. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats, Dunny. :) I'm looking forward to reading your first impressions, if you're planning on publishing them.

I'd especially love to know how the new nubs are (mine has the old-type nubs, from the point when they were testing them and cherry-picking the ones that passed :p ), although I suppose that might be more than a bit difficult to describe if you haven't experienced the old ones. :lol:

I expect I'll get a full and frank review up when I get it - should be here monday (if not today, but post around here is spotty to say the least) and I'm on a run of four night-shifts for the following week, so I'll get plenty of use in - once all the patients are asleep I have nothing to do for the remainder of the shift :)

Really hope there's nothing wrong with it, but there's been at least one person needing to RMA even with the new hardware. As I said, porting SpecBAS is going to be my top priority and so I need to get Lazarus and FPC installed sharpish, which will be a nightmare I suspect. I've already got source that compiles fine for linux. My main concern is that my interpreter relies heavily on pointers, which might be stored in memory backwards!

Let's wait and see, eh?

D.

@ZXDunny

It takes a big man to aplogise, especially when you could have just kept quiet about getting your email.

I look forward to reading your review, so far the best review that I have had was from the look on the face of the bloke on the train yesterday when I was surfing the web & playing on SNES emulator.

What is SpecBas? Operating system? You have any screenshots? Thanks. You are going to love your Pandora.

I expect I'll get a full and frank review up when I get it - should be here monday (if not today, but post around here is spotty to say the least) and I'm on a run of four night-shifts for the following week, so I'll get plenty of use in - once all the patients are asleep I have nothing to do for the remainder of the shift :)

Really hope there's nothing wrong with it, but there's been at least one person needing to RMA even with the new hardware. As I said, porting SpecBAS is going to be my top priority and so I need to get Lazarus and FPC installed sharpish, which will be a nightmare I suspect. I've already got source that compiles fine for linux. My main concern is that my interpreter relies heavily on pointers, which might be stored in memory backwards!

Let's wait and see, eh?

D.

Hey Dunny.

Could SpecBAS be used to build 2D games on the Pandora? I wanna make some games, but the whole toolchain/C Linux environment kinda puts me off :huh:

Hey Dunny.

Could SpecBAS be used to build 2D games on the Pandora? I wanna make some games, but the whole toolchain/C Linux environment kinda puts me off :huh:

SpecBAS is the BASIC interpreter that forms the core of the OS, SpecOS. It kind of replaces DOS with a BASIC interpreter, very much like the Sinclair Spectrum did. The idea is that you just boot up and get coding.

SpecBAS is basically the prototype, and can be used to code apps for x86 PCs in both windows and linux. It's based heavily on the old Sinclair BASIC (Timex for our 'merkin chums) and then extends the language in ways it wasn't possible to go on the old 8bits.

It allows 256 colour screens of any size (so long as it's supported) with a windowing system, it plays music from MOD/MP3/S3M/WAV etc, supports sound sample playing over multiple channels, and it has all sorts of wonderful new commands for working with procedures, functions etc. It still uses line-numbers (which some hate, some like) and it's very, very quick for an interpreter. I ran a speed-test of a mandelbrot generator on a real speccy and SpecBAS - SpecBAS was much faster, and it was worked out that the speccy would need a 9.6GHz z80 to run at the same speed. Of course, you can't compare a z80 to a dual-core 1.6GHz intel, but there you are.

SpecBAS is under development - I'm implementing sprites soon, and image-loading routines (you currently have to decode them yourself in BASIC), and I eventually plan to support 3D with OpenGL in some form.

It has a few dedicated followers, mostly because it's just so damned easy to get stuff done in it.

And I want to port it to the Pandora, yes, so people can use it to write games.

Edit: Videos of it in action here: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZXSpin

but be aware that those are *old* and it's grown a lot faster and more capable since.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
SpecBAS is the BASIC interpreter that forms the core of the OS, SpecOS. It kind of replaces DOS with a BASIC interpreter, very much like the Sinclair Spectrum did. The idea is that you just boot up and get coding.

SpecBAS is basically the prototype, and can be used to code apps for x86 PCs in both windows and linux. It's based heavily on the old Sinclair BASIC (Timex for our 'merkin chums) and then extends the language in ways it wasn't possible to go on the old 8bits.

It allows 256 colour screens of any size (so long as it's supported) with a windowing system, it plays music from MOD/MP3/S3M/WAV etc, supports sound sample playing over multiple channels, and it has all sorts of wonderful new commands for working with procedures, functions etc. It still uses line-numbers (which some hate, some like) and it's very, very quick for an interpreter. I ran a speed-test of a mandelbrot generator on a real speccy and SpecBAS - SpecBAS was much faster, and it was worked out that the speccy would need a 9.6GHz z80 to run at the same speed. Of course, you can't compare a z80 to a dual-core 1.6GHz intel, but there you are.

SpecBAS is under development - I'm implementing sprites soon, and image-loading routines (you currently have to decode them yourself in BASIC), and I eventually plan to support 3D with OpenGL in some form.

It has a few dedicated followers, mostly because it's just so damned easy to get stuff done in it.

And I want to port it to the Pandora, yes, so people can use it to write games.

Edit: Videos of it in action here: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZXSpin

but be aware that those are *old* and it's grown a lot faster and more capable since.

D.

Whoa - that is looking nice ;)

Being familiar with Speccy Basic, then AMOS and Blitz Basic - I'm looking forward to see where this goes :)

Good work Dunny! Hope you enjoy your Pandora. :p

Hopefully mine will be with me next week....

Python+pygame are really good for that, and are included in the Pandora by default. You might want to consider them, but SpecBAS could be good too.

[/offtopic]

Back