Linux and Pandora - compatibility from a newb

jimlefevre

Still Fresh
As an utter Linux Newb but a passionate Pandorite who is yet to receive their hallowed order I'm spending a lot of my time bookmarking and downloading things ready for the day it arrives.

My main interest is primarily the games world and feel fairly up to speed with the emulators and games through all the forums etc... but I have recently been finding myself on Linux games sites (most noteably http://www.linuxgames.com/ and also the http://www.wolfire.com/humble) and realised I didn't know what the deal is with what I should look for in terms of compatibility of general Linux games and whetehr they would simply work on the Pandora.

This also flows through to other programmes for instance any animation software (that's my main line of work so would be extremely interested) and games editing. Obviously there's also the wiki list of applications and games and this makes me realise it's not as simple as getting any Linux based games editor/animation (or indeed any) package and running it through Pandora.

With the Games editing I see that there's already a lot of talk about porting Game Editor and with animation there's Pencil and some others so I'm looking forward to seeing how these work...

I'd love to hear what are the rules/things to look out for if I ever see something that's Linux based and whether it would work on the Pandora?

Most Linux programs with source should be little more than a recompile from running on the Pandora. Some may need minor changes, such as screen resolution and controller changes. The biggest stumbling block is OpenGL: the Pandora only has OpenGLES (a subset of the OpenGL spec designed for portable devices) so anything that uses OpenGL may need to have its graphics completely rewritten.

But as long as we have the source, it should be possible. If it's a closed source program, even if it runs on desktop linux, it won't run on Pandora's linux: different CPU.

Speaking of Humble Bundle, Gish has been ported to the Pandora and reportedly runs quite well.

Speaking of Humble Bundle, Gish has been ported to the Pandora and reportedly runs quite well.

Oh crikey! That's my first few days sorted when I get mine! I've had such a glowing spot of admiration for Chronic Logic since someone sent me Pontifex years ago.

That's extremely helpful WizardStan, thanks. It's a tiny bit clearer and makes me want to see how hard it is to recompile (if I'm going to start learning a new system why not a new skill) so I can start to help out rather than post requests to port things.

Shame about the Open GL but there's many more things that don't use it that are just as interesting. I optimistically yet ignorantly say.

And if I haven't posted this on other threads I think it's you who deserves the thanks for getting the Game Editor over onto the Pandora. I'm stockpiling my excitement for July/August where I'm pinning my hopes on receiving mine (2350-ish in the queue).

Back