A Good Purchase?

binary_bronco

Still Fresh
Just saw this usb-to-usb mini cable that doubles as a wrist-strap. The thing is that with that little keyring and metal end I don't think it would be usable as a wrist-strap on the Pandora. Even if this doesn't work the way I want I may still buy it to connect my Pandora and a PC that doesn't have bluetooth or wifi(as most desktops don't). Hoping for comments and opinions, thanks!

youd be better off just carrying one of these around with you so every desktop, notebook, netbook, wtfeverbook has blutooth
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11866

The strap thing looks a little bulky, but I kind of like the concept. For two bucks, why not? If it sucks you can just wrap it up and give it to someone for Christmas.

I'd probably avoid those cheapo BT adapters though. I bought a similar one once, nothing but trouble. Eventually I found an Asus adapter around the same size for less than $20.

Gruso said:
I'd probably avoid those cheapo BT adapters though. I bought a similar one once, nothing but trouble. Eventually I found an Asus adapter around the same size for less than $20.

Not arguing as to whether or not you had trouble with it, but I have that very one from DealExtreme, and I've had no problems with it under several OSs. Nice and cheap too. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough, I haven't used that particular model so your advice is more valid than my blanket warning. :) Mine was from ebay. Blanket warning still applies to any cheapo USB devices from ebay, more often than not they are dreadful.

I always thought that to get the most out of a connection from the Pandy to the PC we would need a USB-OTG cable (mini-a to -b or whichever it is). I would prefer to have the Pandora as a slave device when hooked up to my system.

fearofshorts said:
I always thought that to get the most out of a connection from the Pandy to the PC we would need a USB-OTG cable (mini-a to -b or whichever it is). I would prefer to have the Pandora as a slave device when hooked up to my system.
You just need a regular USB-MiniUSB cable for that, like the ones used for hubs/cameras/everything. :) The OTG adapter is only required when you want to host a device. (When connecting Pandora to a computer, the computer is the host). Check the USB FAQ link in my sig for pretty pictures.

DaMummy said:
youd be better off just carrying one of these around with you so every desktop, notebook, netbook, wtfeverbook has blutooth
$1.98? O.O
My BT adapter sticks out about 3 or 4 cm, and cost me $40 :(
Granted that was 7 or 8 years ago, I think.

I have this same bluetooth adapter. It works like a charm, even pairs with the Wii Remote. No drivers needed. The only issue is the cheap casing; I need to super glue it sometime, but no complaints otherwise.

WizardStan said:
DaMummy said:
$1.98? O.O
My BT adapter sticks out about 3 or 4 cm, and cost me $40 :(
Granted that was 7 or 8 years ago, I think.
welcome to dealextreme

The key with DX is to order stuff you think you'll need in about a month. If you order stuff you need now, you'll be upset at how long it takes.

In other words, order your pandora-related stuff now.

That BT adapter on dealextreme uses a common broadcom chipset, the same chipset is used in a majority of the ~$20 mini bluetooth adapters available at bigbox stores

Elanzer said:
That BT adapter on dealextreme uses a common broadcom chipset, the same chipset is used in a majority of the ~$20 mini bluetooth adapters available at bigbox stores

I have one and it works ok. Linux support too. Just don't expect it to work up to 100m.

Thanks for the tip - I ordered one of those DealExtreme bluetooth doodads. Should come in handy. I'll let you know how it works in our "harsh Aussie conditions", Gruso. ...unless I forget or change my mind. :D

Gruso said:
You just need a regular USB-MiniUSB cable for that, like the ones used for hubs/cameras/everything. :)
Speaking of those, I use one of these for my travel USB cable needs - it's got tips for just about every common usage. Well worth the £2 (and it comes in a neat little zippered bag, too).

Just wanted to put that out there. :p

Prometheus said:
Speaking of those, I use one of these for my travel USB cable needs - it's got tips for just about every common usage. Well worth the £2 (and it comes in a neat little zippered bag, too).

Just wanted to put that out there. :p
When looking to buy these retractable USB cables, be cautious. Many times the manufacturer will leave out the power and ground leads, leaving only data+ and data-. Inspect the details carefully. Most times, the wire will be flat and have valleys separating the lines. If there are only 1 or 2 valleys do not use the cable. There should be 3 - always. Many devices will act oddly, fail to work at all, or in some cases will be damaged by cables with missing power and/or ground lines. Since this particular product works well for Prometheus, it probably isn't an El-Cheapo cable like ones I have encountered.

MacAlly is a brand I've encountered before, and this thing is probably the most expensive-feeling cable doodad I've ever handled. :lol: (The price is just typical BigOffers fare - they probably got a bunch of excess stock to clear out.)

Back