A fast Atari Lynx emulation ?

I couldnt give a rat's ass for a Vboy emulator over a working Lynx emu. I could play the bmx part of california games for hours and electrocop as well since it's a long deep game.

Vboy? dont care, dont want, dont need. no offense.

Didn't the virtual boy have about 18 games and they were pretty much all in japanese.

Yep, lynx emu would be super sweet.

Lynx was an amazining handheld.. I still have it in some drawers..
I got Rygar, Electrocop Blue Lightning and California Games... My Lynx doesn't work with batteries anymore... it requires the plug, so I can't play those amazing games around.. I was dreaming about a Lynx, emu on the GP32, and I think I'm not the only one ;)

Later
Alessandro

It is very tough to emulate, I very much doubt you can get it to full speed on the GP32 unless it is entirely written in ASM (which won't happen).

Specifications:

"Mikey" - 16 bit CMOS chip @ 16Mhz, 65C02 @ up to 4Mhz
Suzy" - 16 bit CMOS chip @ 16Mhz
Graphics: 4096 color palette, 16 simultaneous, 160x102 standard resolution, 480x102 artificial resolution
Audio Processor: 4 channel, 8-bit DAC, handled by "Mikey"
Math Co-processor: 16-bit multiply and divide, parallel processing of single instructions

Compare that to the SNES which just has a single CPU running at 3.58 MHz and how difficult that is to emulate. 16+16+4 Mhz running under several badly documented processors, add a resolution which is higher than the GP32, an audio processor and a Math processor and anyone with just one bit of computer knowledge will understand that it will never happen on the GP32. It is no wonder it is not even emulated well on a 3Ghz PC.

You can ignore the artificial resolution. That means absolutely nothing. It just refers to the actual amount of physical pixels on an horizontal line. Counting the R, G and B channels seperately. If you did that on the GP32, it would have a resolution of 960 horizontally. It's just a nonsense marketing number.

Just to let you know, since my 68K core isn't coming along as well as I'd planned (Still quite unstable), I'm going to have a rest from it for a while and have a whack at this instead. It'll probably end up getting scrapped or postponed indefinitely, so definitely no guarantees.

I will let you know however if I ever get anything running. Going to start first with the homebrew scene, then hopefully move onto the commercial roms.

No point whatsoever in doing a port, so I'm going to start from scratch, but using the available documentation and source code out there as a reference.

Needless to say, I'll probably go almost insance trying to get it to work and give up, but hey, everyone likes a challenge :)

Thanks. No doub't it'll turn into a complain nightmare and result in me slinging the console across the room is a fit of anger, breaking it into several pieces, but hey, at least I'll have an excuse to buy a BLU then :)

Well, it's looking promising. The first homebrew demo is up and working on the gp32. Ok, it's only a simple sprite demo, and there no chance of it running any commercial stuff whatsoever yet (still quite some way off). But the fact it already runs some homebrew stuff proves that my 65C02 core is partly working :)

Now to implement the rest of the 65C02 instruction set and try to find a way to implement the rest of the Susie and Mikie chip without great performance penalties. I'm not going to bother to even look at sound support yet.

Hey Squidge - if you get stuck with the Lynx emulator, why not have a go at a BBC Micro emulator?

Also uses a 65C02.

Decent versions of loads of games.

Would make my day...

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruntfuggly posted on Apr 27 2004 at 10:32 AM said:
Hey Squidge - if you get stuck with the Lynx emulator, why not have a go at a BBC Micro emulator?

Also uses a 65C02.

Decent versions of loads of games.

Would make my day...
Bah! Lynx is much cooler to have than BBc Micro. BBC micro just looks like a shitty version of the C64.

Squidge posted on Apr 25 2004 at 10:10 PM said:
Thanks. No doub't it'll turn into a complain nightmare and result in me slinging the console across the room is a fit of anger, breaking it into several pieces, but hey, at least I'll have an excuse to buy a BLU then :)
Maybe you can get help from Skeezix. He has worked on the "Handy" emu I think.

Back