Atari Lynx Emulation

sareks

Casual gamer
Hi, I wanted to share my experiences for Atari Lynx Emulation so far.

I have a Pandora 1GHz Edition. Feel free to respond, so we can help ppl that don't know much about it yet.

1) Mednafen Lynx - doesn't load any roms, always kicks back in rom selection screen after picking a rom

2) Handy - funny, loaded the emulator once, then it told me the "BIOS checksum doesn't match" what the PND expects,

I said "continue anyway", then the emulator quit, ever since I couldn't get it to run (always kicks back in the Pandora Mini Menu after starting Handy)

Hope this helps newbies (like me), would appreciate supporting comments. Thanks

PS: If there are more Atari Lynx Emulators, please add them to this topic

I wouldnt worry about it, i mean are there really any good games on the Atari Lynx?

Chips Challenge is good.

You need to have the right BIOS. I have Handy working right on my Pandy...but it WASN'T easy, I remember that much.

You really should just use Handy.

I do not understand what your obsession with mednafen is...but you seem to be in love with that emu above any and all others.

You really should just use Handy.

I do not understand what your obsession with mednafen is...but you seem to be in love with that emu above any and all others.
had problems with both emus

Well, sounds to me like you're having any number of problems with mednafen. I mean, what's up with the love affair?
Read the thread, dude. I am simply looking for emulators that work (besides save load states with full screen). Care to share your experiences with handy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, sounds to me like you're having any number of problems with mednafen. I mean, what's up with the love affair?
Read the thread, dude. I am simply looking for emulators that work (besides save load states with full screen). Care to share your experiences with handy?

Handy works perfectly. It IS a bit difficult to get working right in the first place, but once you have it working right with the BIOS, it works great.

I assume that it would be every bit as difficult to get Lynx working on this mednafen, because you need the same thing...the BIOS.

I'm just trying to understand why you seem to have this love affair with mednafen...I mean...EVERY single emulation out there you always speak glowingly about it, and trash the other ones. Just trying to figure out what's up there, I mean, is this mednafen all THAT great?

The emu's I have are all working nicely.

Mednafen lynx emulation is based on Handy. To get mednafen working with lynx emulation you need to place a lynx bios file in the pandora/appdata/mednafen directory.

http://mednafen.sour...n/09x/lynx.html

Hey WTF !! I never tried to use a BIOS with it !! It never asked me for it !! LOL !! Now works great !! :D

Anyway the BIOS goes to "pandora/appdata/mednafen/.mednafen" ;)

EDIT: and seems you have to define keys with ALT+SHIFT+1

Mednafen lynx emulation is based on Handy. To get mednafen working with lynx emulation you need to place a lynx bios file in the pandora/appdata/mednafen directory.

http://mednafen.sour...n/09x/lynx.html

Hey WTF !! I never tried to use a BIOS with it !! It never asked me for it !! LOL !! Now works great !! :D

Anyway the BIOS goes to "pandora/appdata/mednafen/.mednafen" ;)

EDIT: and seems you have to define keys with ALT+SHIFT+1

See, Handy DOES ask you for it, so you woulda known ya needed it!

Handy works perfectly. It IS a bit difficult to get working right in the first place, but once you have it working right with the BIOS, it works great.

I assume that it would be every bit as difficult to get Lynx working on this mednafen, because you need the same thing...the BIOS.

I'm just trying to understand why you seem to have this love affair with mednafen...I mean...EVERY single emulation out there you always speak glowingly about it, and trash the other ones. Just trying to figure out what's up there, I mean, is this mednafen all THAT great?

Wrong, I was just listing all emulators that work for me and the ones the don't work, since Mednafen is one of them I had to list it as well. So how did you get Handy to work? Details please. Thanks

Again mednafen's lynx emulation is based on Handy. However mednafen might have some features that are common among all the platforms it emulates that Handy may or may not have such as movie recording, proper vsync to avoid tearing, frame advance mode, fast forward, etc. Please note that I haven't compared them directly, so I don't know if Handy has all these features.

Wrong, I was just listing all emulators that work for me and the ones the don't work, since Mednafen is one of them I had to list it as well. So how did you get Handy to work? Details please. Thanks
In order to get Handy to work, you need a "lynxboot" file in your handy folder in appdata.

SO...you run Handy once to create the appdata folder. THEN you get your lynxboot.img file and place it in the folder.

Then you should be good to go.

In order to get Handy to work, you need a "lynxboot" file in your handy folder in appdata.

SO...you run Handy once to create the appdata folder. THEN you get your lynxboot.img file and place it in the folder.

ok, did as you told me.
1) without bios files, it told me to select it

2) when I put the bios file in the directory you mentioned, the emulator wouldn't even start and let me choose, instead it would go right back to the mini menu

ok, did as you told me.
1) without bios files, it told me to select it

2) when I put the bios file in the directory you mentioned, the emulator wouldn't even start and let me choose, instead it would go right back to the mini menu

You should put "lynxboot.img" in SDCard/Pandora/Appdata/Handy

If you do this, it should work properly.

You may not have the correct lynxboot.img file.

The file size should be 512 bytes

Size on disk should be 32KB (32768 bytes)

Somewhat unrelated, but has anyone built Tile World (Chip's Challenge)?

I don't have a pandora but it will most likely compile without changes as it only needs SDL.

Somewhat unrelated, but has anyone built Tile World (Chip's Challenge)?

I don't have a pandora but it will most likely compile without changes as it only needs SDL.

Not sure what it has to do with Atari Lynx emulation.. But yeah it was built and lives on the old repo http://dl.openhandhe...?0,0,0,0,25,150 it was put together 2 years ago so hopefully it still works fine with all the firmware changes.

Back