A couple questions about the Pyra...

Pandora is officially 35ms, but I suspect it's more like 40.
Well, my mistake then. It's kinda hard to get a feel for what x number looks like since that specification is so often overlooked/left out of the spec sheet for game handhelds (even though it's absolutely critical imo).

Last edited by a moderator:
Concerning the response time, why is it harder to make a small LCD have a low response time as compared to larger LCDs such as monitors where they have 4ms response times?

It's not harder, but there's no demand for it. For most use cases, 30ms is plenty enough, and faster refresh times need more power. So most small LCDs are a compromise between usable refresh times and lowest power usage possible.

That is, imho, the most ridiculous thing ever :­/ You would think that companies would do things that are not harder nor more expensive by larger margins, in order to make their products unique. Just another sign of the stagnation of nations.

Sadness.

Edit: Also, I would like to thank you EvilDragon. You're dedication to communication and interaction with your community astounds me, and shows me that there are still amazing people in the world ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
That is, imho, the most ridiculous thing ever :­/ You would think that companies would do things that are not harder nor more expensive by larger margins, in order to make their products unique. Just another sign of the stagnation of nations.

Sadness.
Well, would you produce something if there is no customer for it?

I know one of the LCD companies I approached last year had a 20ms 720p LCD which was to be released in September.

I ordered samples in July and got the information in August that this LCD will not be produced because there was no demand from any customers.

They offered me a similar one - which was in fact the very same LCD (size, etc.) with a refresh time of 35ms.

They had enough interested customers for that one.

People prefer a 35ms LCD instead of a much faster 20ms one, huh? :huh:
35ms LCD use less power and usually are a bit cheaper in production.

If you have something like a cheap smartphone or use it for displaying something in an industrial area, you won't need the faster refresh time.

It's only needed for games.

So it totally depends on the usecase.

People prefer a 35ms LCD instead of a much faster 20ms one, huh? :huh:
Design is about finding the right balance between tradeoffs, not about maximizing stats.If price wasn't an issue you could have an all custom design.

Would you pay 3 times more for your Pyra? Most people won't.

Back