A Brief History Of Gp2x?

What seems to be a complete lack of documentation is probably going to prevent any serious development for those chinese handhelds. Also there are tons of them, they're so generic they probably stop being made once any one of them is sufficiently reverse-engineered enough that any decent development can be done on it...

b_o_b said:
I think the main difference with your assumption is that a lot of devs are doing stuff for free here. The content of the new device will be very important, and I'm pretty sure Craig knows how to get them on board.
Advertisement will follow reviews, forum discussions etc. I also think most people here are not loyal towards GP but to the devs. There is a lot of appreciation for what they do and if the majority of the devs choose the Craiginator the gp32 community will follow.

I only hope that there will not be a lot of other great devices from China that will devide the devs. I see Rlyeh wants to dev for the Jxd 301 already and there will be coming more competition for sure.
I tend to agree with your point about devs, the community will surely follow their lead.

But, given a future scenario where there exists a GP3X and a Craiginator, I wonder if the divided communities will be less viable? It'd suck to have two (or more) non-compatible platforms with communities that are half (or less) as active as the present GP2X community.

Perhaps my concerns are unfounded and multiple platforms can co-exist and thrive?

I guess it depends on weather the number of people interested in homebrew is set to increase in the future, or if we have already reached saturation point. Recent GP2X sales figures might shed some light on that?

Last edited by a moderator:
It seem from your article that you want people to buy the f200 to save the "community", it dosent say anything about bying it as its a good handhand.

2 years later and we have a touch screen and a d-pad.......wow

lets all hold hands, pat each other on the back and suport the f200. not that its any good. but thats the the point, is it ?

@KoH

Whats wrong with the f200?

I dont get why people are so negative about the GP2X and Gamepark?

It's an inexpensive, opensource, niche-market product made by a small company in Korea. If that describes a product you want to buy, buy it. If not, buy something else. Simple!

Some people here carry on as if GP raped their dog.

Im not having a pop at anyone, im just replying to zodttd's orignal post.

Personaly I dont see any point in the f200 atall, 2 years later and no improvments apart from the things that should have been there 2 years ago.

However what I belive is irelivant in this thread, as zodttd asked what people thought of his article, thats what this thread is for ?

I thought when I read the article that it was more about getting people to buy the F200 to save the community rather then beacuse it was a handheld thats actually worth buying.

so thats what I wrote in here, a honest "on topic" reply.

Can't see how im acting like someone "whos dog's just been raped by GP"

KoH said:
Personaly I dont see any point in the f200 atall, 2 years later and no improvments apart from the things that should have been there 2 years ago.
It is a mistake to advertise it as a must-have upgrade for F100 users. But why shouldn't GPH improve their product for future waves of customers? Think of it like this:

If you buy a 2007 Honda, and a few months later the company will release the 2008 model with a few added niceties, will you look at Honda with the same eyes as you look now at GPH? Will you think they released the 2008 model to get every 2007 model owner to buy the 2008 model, too?

KoH said:
You could use the same argument about the DS. The Lite is basically what the DS should have been from the start too. The original was clunky, had crappy buttons and D-pad, and the screens were dim and faded, all they did was fix that. You could get mad at Nintendo too for releasing the DS lite and not improving the speed, screen size or resolution etc. At least GPH added a feature in the touchscreen.

KoH said:
I thought when I read the article that it was more about getting people to buy the F200 to save the community rather then beacuse it was a handheld thats actually worth buying.

so thats what I wrote in here, a honest "on topic" reply.

Can't see how im acting like someone "whos dog's just been raped by GP"
Well your comments are a bit negative, so you could explain it like that and really a device with or without touchscreen is a whole different ballgame. It is a huge improvement and for the ones with enough cash and not the patience to wait for the Graig2x it will be a great pre-Christmas toy.

As far as the subject of this thread concerns Craig already explained he doesn't need to sell F200's to finance the Graig2x so the content of the thread deviates a bit from the start topic.

Back