A Brief History Of Gp2x?

It does seem like the community is dwindling somewhat...

I've wondered why SNES emulation hasn't been advancing either. It seems a little odd that people are more interested in PSX emulation when SNES emulation hasn't been finished yet.

Besides the need for significant investment capital to produce such a device, I see a huge problem with the Craig2X (or whatever). It's to do with the unit's marketability.

a. What's its target market?

b. Is that potential market a subset of the already modest GP2X market/userbase?

c. Is that subset a sustainable/profitable/worthwhile market?

I hope he's planning on spending up big on expanding the market outside GP2X ownership otherwise, there's a real problem here.

-Many existing GP2X owners will not see the need to upgrade to a unit that is seen to depart from the featureset & value that attracted them to the 2X.

-Potential buyers outside the community are going to be reluctant to buy in to a product that has a larger ticket price (compared to well known devices) by an unknown company with zero brand recognition.

Hmm...

Well...

Now I have money in hand (or paypal rather) and the system in the shopping cart and am just convincing myself to click...

On the one hand, I really would like to get a GP2x with a control pad I find more tolerable...

But I could stand to replace my DS, and also stand to get a Slim before Sony come up with some way to fix it so that CFW is a bigger pain in the ass to get on the thing...

<_<

I want the F-200 the most, but then again, I am pretty sure I could get enough to purchase it again in a few weeks...

housemonkey said:
Well...

Now I have money in hand (or paypal rather) and the system in the shopping cart and am just convincing myself to click...

On the one hand, I really would like to get a GP2x with a control pad I find more tolerable...

But I could stand to replace my DS, and also stand to get a Slim before Sony come up with some way to fix it so that CFW is a bigger pain in the ass to get on the thing...

<_<

I want the F-200 the most, but then again, I am pretty sure I could get enough to purchase it again in a few weeks...
First of all, gamefaqs = worst. messageboards. ever.
Second, wait till a bunch of chumps get the F200 and see if its good, if not, hold back and wait till bugs are straightened out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lately I am apt to agree on the gamefaqs sentiment...

I think its slowly destroying my soul to be honest. :(

PoisonedV said:
housemonkey said:
Well...

<_<

First of all, gamefaqs = worst. messageboards. ever.
Second, wait till a bunch of chumps get the F200 and see if its good, if not, hold back and wait till bugs are straightened out.

Who you calling chump???? :angry: Jk :p

To be completely honest, I don't mind this topic going off the topic I set, as long as it's related to the GP2X. In fact, if people are talking about the GP2X / "Craig3X" / F200, then it gives a lot of what I'm saying less importance, which is a good thing. Keep chatting, keep spirits high. :)

The Craig3X is an awesome looking beast! Some of the things to be announced will truly amaze. Just don't hold too many assumptions such as 2D vs 3D. With horsepower to drive your favorite 3D based emulator, nothing is stopping people from making 2D games, and you will see a lot of surprises for sure.

I'm checking to see if my F200 will be on it's way today, if so, some quick initial thoughts will be posted at www.zodttd.com when I get it in my gadget grubby hands. :)

coldfis said:
-Many existing GP2X owners will not see the need to upgrade to a unit that is seen to depart from the featureset & value that attracted them to the 2X.

-Potential buyers outside the community are going to be reluctant to buy in to a product that has a larger ticket price (compared to well known devices) by an unknown company with zero brand recognition.
Just a short comment, I think the above are really non-issues, for the following reasons:

- The Craiginator will have every feature that made the GP2X attractive, and more. Every aspect of the GP2X will be more powerful or improved in some other way, as well as bringing a set of new, much wanted features that many users wanted to see in the GP2X in the first place, such as WiFi, high-res touchscreen, 3D accelleration and so on. So I think it's safe to say that whoever owns a GP2X today, will be buying the Craiginator too!

- The closest competitor to the Craiginator is likely to be the Nokia N800 (it is the only current device with a similar feature set), which has a considerably higher ticket price (£350 for the Nokia vs £200 for the Craiginator) as well as a considerably slower/older SoC (OMAP2 series). Brand recognition isn't everything. If the Craiginator proves to be well built and well supported, the N800 will have nothing on it.

As for 3D vs 2D, I think some people are forgetting that this thing will not only have the most powerful handheld GPU on the market, but also state-of-the-art 2D hardware accelleration, including HW accelleration for Flash, something that was much wanted on the GP2X and might bring even more great games to the Craiginator (Ultimate Flash Sonic, anyone? Or the original ZooKeeper, even.).

cappuchok said:
- The closest competitor to the Craiginator is likely to be the Nokia N800 (it is the only current device with a similar feature set), which has a considerably higher ticket price (£350 for the Nokia vs £200 for the Craiginator) as well as a considerably slower/older SoC (OMAP2 series). Brand recognition isn't everything. If the Craiginator proves to be well built and well supported, the N800 will have nothing on it.

Actually the N800 was £250 until a week or so ago.

Now their price has been cut to make way for the new N810; you can get one for £150 delivered if you shop around.

Not too mention the N900 being just around the corner with whats rumoured to be a 1.1GHz OMAP.

Firefox said:
cappuchok said:

Actually the N800 was £250 until a week or so ago.

Now their price has been cut to make way for the new N810; you can get one for £150 delivered if you shop around.

My bad, going on what's been said on the board. As I have absolutely no interest in anything Nokia, I couldn't be bothered to check around. Anyway, the 810 is still being based on the 400MHz OMAP2420 so I would still say the Craiginator will be the most cutting-edge handheld available on it's launch, if Craigix's estimates for availability matches reality. :)

zodttd said:
Not too mention the N900 being just around the corner with whats rumoured to be a 1.1GHz OMAP.
Can't find any info on a rumored CPU for this thing, but with the N800 being so recent and the N810 being just around the corner, I doubt the N900 will see general availability before the Craiginator, and at any rate it won't have some of the features much sought-after by the target audience for the Craiginator, most notably the N900 will have a lack of good gaming controls (judging from existing pictures which may or may not be representative of the actual N900, but given Nokia's track record I doubt they'll make it a true gamer handheld).
Besides, the quoted retail price for the N900 will be in the range of £350-£360 (according to various tech sites), so there we are again, the Craiginator will be cheaper (objectively) and better (subjectively, for the intended audience) than the closest competitor even if the N900 does emerge on the market before the Craiginator. :)

i remember back when zodiac entered the market.. More powerful, more money, cool looking device, analog controls, touch screen... Everything the GP32 and GP2x was lacking, and supposedly needed to be a hit. Talk on the forum was about devs, and users moving to zodiac... I bought the Zodiac, and today I am still reading this forum anticipating the arival of my f200

The craiginator (or whatever the hell you want to call it) sure looks enticing. I will most likely be interested in it. But I doubt the gp2x is dying away so quickly... It will take a while for devs to ramp up on the craiginator. The gP2x already has a decent user base, and people dont abandon so quickly... Especially for more expensive devices that may or may not take off. Between DS, PSP, GP2x the handheld homebrew market is already being saturated. It is hard to tell how well the craiginator will do if released too shortly.

The early adopters like myself of all these little gadgets are a very small percentage of the scene... I feel the gp2x still has a bunch of life left in it. Even if craiginator is released. I think the scene will take some time transition. That being said, every device slowly dies off when a new one comes out.. Nothing to be worried about. By the time the GP2x compleetly dies.. the new handheld will be ready to thrive.

MR.DO! said:
Between DS, PSP, GP2x the handheld homebrew market is already being saturated.
The early adopters like myself of all these little gadgets are a very small percentage of the scene... I feel the gp2x still has a bunch of life left in it. Even if craiginator is released. I think the scene will take some time transition. That being said, every device slowly dies off when a new one comes out.. Nothing to be worried about. By the time the GP2x compleetly dies.. the new handheld will be ready to thrive.
It would seem a fairly large percentage of the community either own all of the handhelds you mentioned, or at least feel that there is room for all of them. I myself will continue to use my GP2X long after I've bought the new device, since it makes a totally awesome handheld for NES, Megadrive/SegaCD and NeoGeo. I'm sure the new device will allow for improvements even on those platforms (nicer scalers for example), but the GP2X is perfectly adequate for them, and I don't think anyone on this forum will completely abandon the GP2X in favour of Craig's new device. Rather, most will use both devices for whatever they are good at, but might not buy another GP2X when their current one gives up.

cappuchok said:
I don't think anyone on this forum will completely abandon the GP2X in favour of Craig's new device.
I will.

cappuchok said:
Rather, most will use both devices for whatever they are good at
Remind me again what the GP2X is particularly good at? :)

MR.DO! said:
Between DS, PSP, GP2x the handheld homebrew market is already being saturated. It is hard to tell how well the craiginator will do if released too shortly.
I disagree. The Craiginator will not meet such problems for the following reasons :

-It's more powerful than any other handheld on the market
-It's a fully open-source device, the only other currently on the market of this kind is the GP2X, and the GP2X won't do much concurrence to the Craiginator due to the fact that it's low-endian as the Craiginator is high-endian.
-It's not just a handheld, it's a crossover device, a one of a kind, as it completely puts together in one machine a fully fledged gaming console, a PDA/internet tablet and to a certain extent an ultra portable personal computer, and because it's the only of its kind, neither the PSP or the N800/N810/N900 can directly enter in concurrence with it, as it enters in direct concurrence with them as it includes the abilities of each, safe for a few details which I can't even think of any.

Orkie said:
cappuchok said:
I don't think anyone on this forum will completely abandon the GP2X in favour of Craig's new device.
I will.

Same here, and I know at least one person who has a GP32, didn't buy a GP2X and is greatly excited by the Craiginator (donskeeto). Oh well I might just keep some code in my programs so that they can work on the GP2X, but I don't know for how long I'll keep doing that, as I'll probably stop caring about the GP2X at some point and sell mine.

Yea I gotta agree...

the concept for this thing is pretty much one-of-a-kind.

you might as well paint it red and brand a ferrari logo on it because when released it will leave the competition in the dust...

Still there has been that ugly history of most-powerful systems biting the dust when released...even though I'm pretty sure that this won't happen to the craiginator.

Only thing to grab outbeside this would be the asus umpc but thats not out for a while. and only reason I would get that is for the cheapness, and the programming, and maybe just maybe some 3d work in max, maya, or blender if the graphic card was up to spec.

I think you guys are missing my point.... This community of people who actually know what all the specs on this thing mean is TINY.. make the device $300+ and it gets even smaller.

i for one will most likely buy one and support it.. I was simply pointing out the majority of the GP2x community wont just drop their 2x's the day this thing comes out. There will be some that will, some that use both, and some that are not even interested.. But lets face it.. ferrari's are cool.. but how many people actually own one? And do they really leave the competiton in the dust? Having the most power and options in one little package is not always the best move... Especially when you have to sell it at a premium price..

To the few of us that understand what it offers, it is worth it.. but if it doesn't get enough support it will die off quickly. Especially in the unforgiving home brew community. This is what is so hard about bringing out a product.. You have to juggle a lot of variables to make it worth the time and money.

I for one hope both the gp2x and the new device have a healthy lifespan..

Back