A Brief History Of Gp2x?

MR.DO! said:
Especially in the unforgiving home brew community
If the community were that unforgiving, do you think the GP2X would've attracted any buyers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Orkie said:
MR.DO! said:
Especially in the unforgiving home brew community
If the community were that unforgiving, do you think the GP2X would've attracted any buyers?

Its an affordable way to run emus and homebrew.. Flawed for sure.. but it beats the hell out of jumping through hoops to run your games like you have to on PSP .. Plus It was the only real solution when it came out. Hell once the PSP came out it took a chunk out of the gp2x community.. And the PSP is a pain in the Ass to deal with compared.. I feel the gp2x's sucsess had alot to do with timing of release.

Now you have options.. hell even the iphone is going to support homebrew. Not going to be the same walk in the park for the craiginator with all the choices now..

when gp's came out you had Gba + Gp2x.. not so much out there...

now

PSP + DS + Iphone + Gp2x + craiginator... Lots to chose from depending on what you are looking for.

Granted the commercial machines are a different market.. but they do effect peoples wallets enough to turn them off from buying an open source device.. Especially if they are some what capable of supporting homebrew

Again this is all just opinion.. I am not completley disagreeing with you.. Only time will tell i guess what will happen with the scene

MR.DO! said:
I think you guys are missing my point.... This community of people who actually know what all the specs on this thing mean is TINY.. make the device $300+ and it gets even smaller.

i for one will most likely buy one and support it.. I was simply pointing out the majority of the GP2x community wont just drop their 2x's the day this thing comes out. There will be some that will, some that use both, and some that are not even interested.. But lets face it.. ferrari's are cool.. but how many people actually own one? And do they really leave the competiton in the dust? Having the most power and options in one little package is not always the best move... Especially when you have to sell it at a premium price..

To the few of us that understand what it offers, it is worth it.. but if it doesn't get enough support it will die off quickly. Especially in the unforgiving home brew community. This is what is so hard about bringing out a product.. You have to juggle a lot of variables to make it worth the time and money.

I for one hope both the gp2x and the new device have a healthy lifespan..

Well mainly because this is still in production phase...if a prototype had already been put then most likely more people would know about it.

and no most people won't drop their 2x's... no one is really expecting them to. And yes ferrari's are cool, people that actually own them very few...granted. Do they leave competition in the dust? I would agree except I haven't paid attention since Michael Schumacher retired but that was only last year and granted thats F1 a whole different side of spectrum.

And granted yes all power but no options isn't always but the best but yet it caters and carries options and crossover through different products no it doesn't have every single option available but it does carry some options...and if it carried anymore it would be like a ps3, big, bulky, overly priced, and slightly lacking in the appeal department.

MR.DO! said:
Plus It was the only real solution when it came out. Hell once the PSP came out it took a chunk out of the gp2x community.. And the PSP is a pain in the Ass to deal with compared.. I feel the gp2x's sucsess had alot to do with timing of release.
What on Earth are you rambling on about?

cappuchok said:
Anyway, the 810 is still being based on the 400MHz OMAP2420 so I would still say the Craiginator will be the most cutting-edge handheld available on it's launch, if Craigix's estimates for availability matches reality. :)

I don't see the Nokia tablets as a threat to the Craiginator.

I've got an N800 and it's utterly brilliant as a pocket web browser and media player. It would be truly awful for gaming though, the controls are just completely wrong for that sort of thing.

I wont buy a Craiginator unless it can run GP2X games... you think it would be possible?

PoisonedV said:
I wont buy a Craiginator unless it can run GP2X games... you think it would be possible?
well, even for homebrew you have to subtract fenix, python, java, as well as programs using sdl that have been released with source (from the list of gp2x programs that can't immediately be ported).

that still leaves some stuff but perhaps the authors will port.

Well, I figured that maybe, possibly, the architecture would be close enough to do ports with only minor source changing... I am kind of dissapointed cause I only got my GP2X 4 months or so ago.

If it were to go the route of the MMSP2+ seeing quick ports, if not instant recognition of GP2X software, would be possible. But the MMSP2+ was a heaping pile of crap. :(

PoisonedV said:
Since when are physicists geniuses in the market? You mean, economist?
His title paraphrases a quite famous physicist's book... I'll leave you to work out whom.

woogal said:
From the look of this post I think it's quite rare that you even visit the real world. Why in fucks name would Craig be single handedly putting devices together himself? Did Bill write every line of Vista on his own, before sitting in front of a laptop burning millions of dvds and putting each one into the boxes by hand? Never heard of companies, factories, production lines?
i agree, will craigix have a factory that make containers full of cnators or will all the craiginators homemade like cookies or what? Also productions costs rises like mentos+coke if you made a small number of consoles...

Coming from a product design/development background, I look at the Craig2X concept (the marketable product, not the technology, which sounds interesting and full of potential) and have a few nagging doubts about it.

The old "build it and they will come" motto rarely works out on the real world unless you have plenty of marketing capital and connections.

The one thing the GP2X was good at was establishing a brand and detecting a market.

Even though there seem to be a vocal group of disgruntled GP2X owners on this forum, I'd guess the greater majority of GP2X owners are very happy with the device and will have a degree of loyalty toward any future GP products.

The Craig2X, on the other hand, would seem to have a much smaller potential userbase (initially at least) made up of a number of people who are dissatisfied with the GP2X and dont like the alternatives (PSP ect). These are going to be a nightmare to market to, should there be even the slightest little thing "wrong" with the new handheld.

Actually, I love the GP2X (even the stick!) and am *still* quite looking forward to the "Craig2X" (although I won't be able to justify the cost for a while). Since the guys behind 99% of the GP2X's sales (and marketing) in the Western world are the same guys who are involved with this new handheld, I can't see how the potential userbase will be much smaller.

This machine is quite a different beast to the GP2X, and due to the substantial difference in prices, I don't believe they will be direct competition. Its real competition will be UMPCs and Nokia's beasties -- and against those, the USPs will be dedicated gaming controls and open source.

Eclipse said:
i agree, will craigix have a factory that make containers full of cnators or will all the craiginators homemade like cookies or what? Also productions costs rises like mentos+coke if you made a small number of consoles...
While you used to be able to build your own PCBs for older equipment (think 1980s computers/consoles) which used DIP components, making one by hand (or even having them made in bulk and soldering components on yourself) is out of the question for a modern SOC based system. The components are all SMD, and some are BGA meaning the pins are physically under the chip. You need to have these sort of things fabricated in a factory. And if you're already having parts like case halves built in a factory it's a no brainer to get the whole thing done that way.

If I had to hazard a guess the machine would cost a lot less if there were a huge batch being made. But with such a small audience an initial investment which resulted in a warehouse full of handhelds that won't sell would be catastrophic.

coldfis said:
Coming from a product design/development background, I look at the Craig2X concept (the marketable product, not the technology, which sounds interesting and full of potential) and have a few nagging doubts about it.

The old "build it and they will come" motto rarely works out on the real world unless you have plenty of marketing capital and connections.

The one thing the GP2X was good at was establishing a brand and detecting a market.

Even though there seem to be a vocal group of disgruntled GP2X owners on this forum, I'd guess the greater majority of GP2X owners are very happy with the device and will have a degree of loyalty toward any future GP products.

The Craig2X, on the other hand, would seem to have a much smaller potential userbase (initially at least) made up of a number of people who are dissatisfied with the GP2X and dont like the alternatives (PSP ect). These are going to be a nightmare to market to, should there be even the slightest little thing "wrong" with the new handheld.

I think the main difference with your assumption is that a lot of devs are doing stuff for free here. The content of the new device will be very important, and I'm pretty sure Craig knows how to get them on board.
Advertisement will follow reviews, forum discussions etc. I also think most people here are not loyal towards GP but to the devs. There is a lot of appreciation for what they do and if the majority of the devs choose the Craiginator the gp32 community will follow.

I only hope that there will not be a lot of other great devices from China that will devide the devs. I see Rlyeh wants to dev for the Jxd 301 already and there will be coming more competition for sure.

Back