A Battery Question

someboddy

Still Fresh
Will the battery be a unique component or one I can buy at any local electronics store?

The battery will be included with the Pandora, but I believe it'll be a standard one. I don't know about local electronics stores, but without doubt you'll be able to buy them from whichever Pandora retailer you choose.

I believe Craigix or MWeston stated in another thread that they decided to go with a non-standard battery to increase runtime. However, you could order a replacement battery from Pandora suppliers.

Squidge said:
I believe Craigix or MWeston stated in another thread that they decided to go with a non-standard battery to increase runtime. However, you could order a replacement battery from Pandora suppliers.
5/6 years down the line, that's gonna seem like a big mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
The battery is being custom made for the Pandora. Spares will be available from Pandora distributers. There may be an extended 5Ah battery as well.

Forum source
FAQ reference

That sux. I'm already going through alot of pain to import the thing here to Israel. Don't want to do it again if the battery dies on me...

They asked the community what we thought, and the majority said 100 hours with a custom battery sounded better than a standard battery. I think it's cheaper for them too that way.

Edit: I'm trying not to repeat information. I just want to clarify that most members of this forum agreed it was a good idea, so don't complain. ;)

I hate to rain in, but in 5-6 years if you are still playing the Pandora and you haven't thought about getting a second battery as a spare then it'll be your own fault if you can’t get one. However the battery they have for the Pandora is not a typical rechargeable. It should hold up quite a bit better than what your laptop or Razor phone use.

Nova said:
5/6 years down the line, that's gonna seem like a big mistake.
In 5 - 6 years, everyone will be using the Pandora II running on the OMAP 4000 ;)

As for the spare battery, don't buy one at the same time as the console if all you are going to do is throw it in a cupboard until your main one dies. They do not like that at all. Cycle them every month or so.

C B Felterbush said:
I hate to rain in, but in 5-6 years if you are still playing the Pandora and you haven't thought about getting a second battery as a spare then it'll be your own fault if you can’t get one. However the battery they have for the Pandora is not a typical rechargeable. It should hold up quite a bit better than what your laptop or Razor phone use.
Hm. It doesn't make much sense to buy LiIon or LiPol batteries in advance, as both types (they're actually more or less the same type) deteriorate with age, even when not used. So if you buy a battery too long in advance, you've simply wasted your money as you'll end up with a busted spare as well.

Also, I believe the Pandora's battery will be a LiPol battery and, unless Craig has access to some magical kingdom where superduper batteries are produced, it won't have any significant edge over other LiIons or LiPols. Pandora's battery has one advantage: Its large capacity means longer runtime between recharges, so the 300-500 full recharge cycle of the typical lithium battery will be stretched over a longer time period.

Squidge said:
That kind of sux, :( in about 5 or 6 years then it might be impossible to buy a new battery.

hope it's possible to modify the pandora so you can use your own batteries somehow.

But still can't wait to buy one :D

Edit
Damit i didnt saw the last to posts when i postet this one

Like Squidge said, if this thing does well, in 5-6 years we'll be hopefully playing a pandora successor with an OMAP 4xxx or 5xxx (that does fullspeed dreamcast emulation :lol: ). If not, there will be something out there that will have advantages over the original pandora for homebrew and emulation play.

Squidge said:
In 5 - 6 years, everyone will be using the Pandora II running on the OMAP 4000 ;)
yeah and it will run XBOX 360 games, and playstation 5 games :p :D, i think i'll skip the first one and goes directly to pandora II can't wait.

When will pandora II hit the stores?? :lol:

In 5 to 6 years, if you do still care about your Pandora, I am sure there will be a way to attach a differing battery of the same voltage, after all, they will be smaller then :)

I dunno, if it ever comes down to it we can probably use a off-the-shelf battery, it just will be too big and stick out a little, or a little smaller with reduced run-time.

I don't mind either of those, but I doubt it will come to that, I think replacements will be available for a while.

But who says the custom battery supplier will be around in 6 months, nevermind 5-6 years? Will they be able to source another supplier?

Just playing devil's advocate :)

Batteries are a strange thing - I'm still playing my 20 year old NES without problems. When they change the AC standard, I'll have to stop ;)

yodaofborg said:
In 5 to 6 years, if you do still care about your Pandora, I am sure there will be a way to attach a differing battery of the same voltage, after all, they will be smaller then :)
you might be right, then we can make a panodra light.

but still im the kind of guy that sometimes like to dust off my old handheld and play some games, like my old 1989 gameboy and some G&W.

fishybawb said:
But who says the custom battery supplier will be around in 6 months, nevermind 5-6 years? Will they be able to source another supplier?

Just playing devil's advocate :)

Batteries are a strange thing - I'm still playing my 20 year old NES without problems. When they change the AC standard, I'll have to stop ;)
Nah. You'll just use emulators.

Hey, people are already making Pandora batteries for the PSP and claiming this a hardware hack! I'm sure with a little work, future batteries will be able to be modded to fit an open system :)

Like I said If you can't get one or dont have one that will work it will be your fault.

MacGyver could run his Pandora off Peanut butter and a gum wrapper.

Back