3DS vs Pandora: Which is win?

Nitrozzy7

Still Fresh
So with the recent announcement of the price tag of the 3DS (300$), and with the known price tag of the Open Pandora (330EUR), I'm asking you this simple question:

Which is win?

My take is this:

The 3DS will waste most of its processing power generating the 3D image and the games will not be cheap for a while. On top of that it can't emulate older games without modifying it. And even if you do, it doesn't have enough power to play Quake 3 unlike Open Pandora (not that I'm going to play Quake 3. Just saying) Add a game or two for the 3DS and it's already more expensive than Pandora.

Open Pandora is.. well, OPEN. It has two analogue sticks and it's a portable Netbook. Plus it has more than enough processing power to generate 3D images. Though you'll need glasses, UNLESS

https://www.youtube.com/embed/8SDGG9HhbgQ?feature=oembed gets incorporated via a USB cam and a patch. On top of all that there's the battery... 10 hours on full use.
So, imo, Open Pandora wins!!!

And at all those who will argue that Open Pandora is a Pirate's Dream all I'm saying is this:

Piracy is when you reproduce or download something for commercial and NOT personal use. Not when you emulate it or downloading the preferable format. If you want to be legit then go buy the game you like and then download the appropriate format for the Emulator. Just remember it's for your own use only.

My take on this :

These 2 devices targets different persons. I was planning to buy a 3ds for my son's chrismas but with this release date.... But I wouldn't go for a 3DS for me : I've no usage/interest in the device, I've never played its DS. I'm thinking about a dingoo for my wife as she use my pandora more and more (she play with it more than me :D ) but she have no usage scenario for the keyboard or the pandora power (amoebea and ceferino aren't that power angry)

The ultimate way to know what gaming handheld is for you is :

- have a list of thing you want/will to do with it (I'm not talking about gimmick but about feature you realy plan on using)

- Have a real idea of when and where you'll use it (if it's only for your room, get a home console instead ; most my gaming time is in the bus...)

And get the device that match your need the most

My take is this: It's not about which "wins" or "loses". They're two different machines that, if both are to your tastes, will complement one another very well. This is the way it is for me, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Incidentally, $300 was not the announced price. No price in USD, GBP, or Euros has been announced. Just the price in Yen. :p

They have different purposes. This is like asking whether orange is a better color than silver. Orange is good for caution signs, but silver is better for GUIs.

Yeah, I really don't see these 2 systems in a "win or lose" battle with one another. They are both geared to a completely differant market. The 3DS will only be able to do what Nintendo allows, and maybe a little more, once the system is cracked, and homebrew is made available, but the Pandora is open from the jump, and will always be able to do more than what the 3DS can(minus 3-d of course).

I use my Pandora daily, and I'm still super excited for the 3DS. If it would have come out in Japan this year, I would have dropped 500 on it easy, and played until it was released in the states months later. Since there looks to only be a 2-4 week wait, I will just wait on the US release. But I'm a gamer, and I'm just into to playing fun and cool games. I can play Donkey Kong on my Pandora, and 10 minutes later I may be playing God of War 3 on my PS3, or Kingdom Hearts on my PSP.

I can't say for sure what the UK price will be, but I'm sure the US unit will be $250 or below. I've had every Import Nintendo system since the SNES/Super Famicom, and the price has always been 50-100 dollars higher in Japan. Even at 250-300, I think this system will fly off shelves all over the world, and be next years hot electronics device.

Chris

I can't say for sure what the UK price will be, but I'm sure the US unit will be $250 or below. I've had every Import Nintendo system since the SNES/Super Famicom, and the price has always been 50-100 dollars higher in Japan. Even at 250-300, I think this system will fly off shelves all over the world, and be next years hot electronics device.
^ I'm inclined to agree with this. As for the price, my guess would be that the UK price would end up between something like £150 and £175, for whatever it's worth. :p (You are correct in pointing out that the prices have typically been higher in Japan, too. I'm amazed by how many folks don't seem to be aware of that.)

My take is this: It's not about which "wins" or "loses". They're two different machines that, if both are to your tastes, will complement one another very well. This is the way it is for me, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Incidentally, $300 was not the announced price. No price in USD, GBP, or Euros has been announced. Just the price in Yen. :p
300yen that sounds cheap. :)

Haha. :p You're out of luck, the announcement specifically said 25000 Yen.

In light of the recent groundswell of developer comments "accidentally leaked" regarding Sony's new handheld, (definately NOT! going to be called PSP2.. place your bets)

It surely would be more pertinent to substitute it for the 3DS (just for the record, i couldn't care less) especially when you factor in the substatial homebrew community on PSPs with custom firmware.

For me it's a redundant question, i am sure i will be blissfully happy when i finally recieve my Pandora (the glory days of gaming in my pocket, what's not to like!) - and let's face it, if you are at all interested in game design genius & innovation (for most of us here, surely that's a given) then a new Nintendo console is an absolute no brainer.

On second thoughts if Sony included dual (properly designed) analogue controls then....

Last edited by a moderator:
Both has a place in my Budget:

The Pandora to play Homebrew and Emus

The 3DS to play 3DS Games, and DS Games,

but first i will get my Pandora...

but i would like both...

As with many here, I have already bought my Pandora. I will also be getting a 3DS on or close to release, providing it's no more expensive than the Pandora. The DS has been my most used system this generation, since it's home to games that play like I remember them. The Pandora will be awesome for playing all the games up to the Playstation/GBA eras, and the DS is home to modern games that have 8/16-bit sensibilities, and all I've seen suggests the 3DS will be just as awesome.

The 'PSP2' leaks/comments reminds me of the early PS2 announcements that effectively killed the Dreamcast. Now, I'm not suggesting they're a deliberate ploy, but unless they come up with some significantly different games from on the PSP, I'll pass. I always said I'd pick up a PSP eventually, but while there are games on it that appeal to me they've been released so irregularly that the hype doesn't build up to must-have levels for me.

Anyway, waffle waffle - they both win, 3DS and Pandora.

The 3DS will waste most of its processing power generating the 3D image and the games will not be cheap for a while. On top of that it can't emulate older games without modifying it.
Why not? You don't have to generate a 3D image in the 3DS.

If you just send the same image to each eye you'll get a 2D picture, which is fine for emulating 2D games.

Much more of an issue is the fact that 3DS is going to have stronger anti-piracy measures than ever, which makes running homebrew extremely difficult.

But as most people have said, they're entirely different products, you can't really compare them.

I'm waiting on whatever the 3DS Colour/SP/Lite is anyway. :p

They have different purposes. This is like asking whether orange is a better color than silver. Orange is good for caution signs, but silver is better for GUIs.
And then you get subjectivity: Silver is a terrible colour for a UI, way too gaudy. :p (Although better than orange, I agree)

You may as well ask which is better: a laptop or a smart phone? They're basically the same thing, right? Both mobile computing environments. The laptop can't make phone calls and the smart phone can't play WoW, but otherwise they're apples to apples, eh? :p

To the original poster. I am assuming that you said the 3ds doesnt have enough power to run Quake 3 due to your extensive use with the product. I thought not. No one knows what it can or cant do since we dont have one yet and I assume the homebrew scene will take a while to develop. Based of specs. (dual arm11 chips at 200mhz, pico graphics processor) I think it does indeed have a chance to run the likes of quake 3 but I wont know til I tried it.

Hmm Phillips CD-i vs 3DO that's a more debatable topic.

Hmm Phillips CD-i vs 3DO that's a more debatable topic.

CD-i does have Zelda and Mario games … oh well, maybe not really, in facts.
wacko.gif

Zemtex from EBA:
Last time I played on a handheld was when I played Pokémon on my friends gameboy colour...

But I still have had a close eye on the 3DS and PSP.

This new device sure is powerful and Open source sounds really good but then again this handheld seem like a more Hardcore gaming device for people who knows alot about tech and wanna fiddle with stuff.

I think this device will have trouble getting customers because it needs to prove itself and kinda show what it can do that the 3DS and PSP can't or show something it can do better that the 3DS or PSP already can do.

This handheld really came under the radar for me and I don't like how it looks, not that it is that important but people do buy with their eyes most of the time.

It feels like a fat brother of the DS that look really "box like".

But then again you shoud not "judge a dog by it's hair."

I would not buy it because I wanna know more about what it can do and what games I will be able to play. The pricetag is a factor also.

I mean PSP and 3DS got their names behind them and people know what they get when they buy those handhelds. When they see this Open Pandora handheld they will think it is some kind of a chinese fake ripoff, no seriously they will.

One thing that would be good was if they would show it at a gameshow or something like E3 or gamescon or something simillar. :)

This is just my take on the matter when it comes to handhelds I only care about the games and what the device can do, when it comes to the hardware I also do care and the Open Pandora is a powerful machine indeed.

To Mr. EvilDragon:

Going to E3 and demonstrating a non geeky aspect of Pandora will certainly help the handheld. Do some non-geeky promotion people!

Last edited by a moderator:
CD-i does have Zelda and Mario games … oh well, maybe not really, in facts.
wacko.gif

OK, but IIRC some of the worst Mario, and Zelda games ever,

You may as well ask which is better: a laptop or a smart phone? They're basically the same thing, right? Both mobile computing environments. The laptop can't make phone calls and the smart phone can't play WoW, but otherwise they're apples to apples, eh? :p

Yeah, but a laptop can make phone calls. :p

Which wins?

They both do. Different features, different advantages.

Back