Pandora Vs 3Ds

GuchaRU

Not long ago new Nintendo console 3DS was shown on E3.
Now I wonder about it - is pandora superior in any way over 3DS.
Personally i think not, they are about the same, except maybe keyboard and linux.
But 3DS have many other interesting hardware and pretty much powerful stuff inside.

ps- This thread is NOT trolling attempt in any way!
pps- I wait for my pandora now, and I definitely buy 3DS.

The 3DS is probably far more powerful than the Pandora...I don't think we know what the CPU specs are, but if you look at the videos of games on the 3DS, or tech demos of what the 3DS's GFX chipset is capable of, it stands to reason that the 3DS has a lot more power.

However, the Pandora obviously offers the advantages of being a fully open platform for development, a very nice LCD, full keyboard, dual SDHC slots, and nubs.

The two devices cater to very different uses: Pandora for more all purpose use, a 3DS purely for games. Many of us will probably have both! I'm still curious as to what price the 3DS will retail at though.

Hm... i think in raw cpu power they are about the same. But yes, there isnt any specs at the moment of 3DS processing power.

And yes, pandora indeed an open system :)
But I dont think that 3DS is only for games, it has SD slot too and there'll be image browser, video player, camera (even in 3D) and other stuff + homebrew.
I think both consoles are about the same in comparison but slightly different in MAIN purpose. Panda is for ALL stuff at once, but 3DS is mostly for game + other stuff if needed.

upd:
i probably created this thread because i think like "I didn't make a mistake buying pandora, did I? If there will be thing like 3DS. Someone please tell me that i din't." :) But i think I'll have a lot of fun with both of these consoles ^^

GuchaRU said:
But I dont think that 3DS is only for games, it has SD slot too and there'll be image browser, video player, camera (even in 3D) and other stuff + homebrew.

Well, we assume there will be homebrew, but no guarantees until the protection scheme is bypassed.

I feel like the golden age of homebrew on the DS was when everyone still had to use PassMe and FlashMe. After the R4 showed up, all anyone cared about anymore was playing DS roms. The GBAMPV2 did a whole lot for homebrew...

Last edited by a moderator:
That period definitely had more homebrew development on people's minds. I visited Drunken Coders every day. But have you seen the DS homebrew forum at Gbatemp? There variety of stuff is insane, even an x86 emulator.

Anyway if Nintendo wants to make anouther 6 year device it'll definitely have strong 'other' capabilities, browser could have flash, mp4/h264 video player (I doubt avi or mkv, who does that? :( )

Specs wise they haven't even announced the CPU yet, but I bet it won't be on the level of the A8. They haven't even said what specific GPU chip is in it, just the line it's from. It'll be years (if ever) that we see an N64 emulator on the 3DS.

For this comparison, if you want a UMPC with strong game functionality it's the Pandora.
Dedicated game machine with new titles and the possibility of a little extra functionality, 3DS.

I know I'll be getting the 3DS, but if I still don't have a job or my Pandora at the end of August...

quadomatic said:
The 3DS is probably far more powerful than the Pandora...I don't think we know what the CPU specs are, but if you look at the videos of games on the 3DS, or tech demos of what the 3DS's GFX chipset is capable of, it stands to reason that the 3DS has a lot more power.

I friggin doubt it, from what we know about the 3D it's probably behind in raw throughput (with typical TBDR friendly scenes anyway) and significantly behind in flexibility. I would place a really solid bet that it'll be further back in terms of CPU, because in commercial handheld design it makes the most sense to put your best foot forward on the GPU/vector front (see PSP). And I doubt it'll have any significant grunt in an additional coprocessor like OMAP3 has with its DSP.

What 3DS has behind its visuals is the great magic of having top tier developers with a lot of money, resources, and raw talent and experience. Oh, and the actual 3D effect probably does something for subjective image quality.

If you want a slightly more fitting comparison look at the best graphics on iPhone 3GS. Pandora isn't QUITE feature parity with its GPU but it's not that far off, especially for games that aren't multitexture heavy.

The 3DS has a DMP Pica @ 200 Mhz GPU which generates 15.3 million polygons per second. I don't know what the CPU will be.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/20/dmps-pica200-gpu-is-the-power-behind-nintendo-3ds-video/

Exophase said:
I friggin doubt it, from what we know about the 3D it's probably behind in raw throughput (with typical TBDR friendly scenes anyway) and significantly behind in flexibility. I would place a really solid bet that it'll be further back in terms of CPU, because in commercial handheld design it makes the most sense to put your best foot forward on the GPU/vector front (see PSP). And I doubt it'll have any significant grunt in an additional coprocessor like OMAP3 has with its DSP.

I fully agree ;) !

What could be deceiving is the fact that on Pandora we cannot see a custom 3D application tailored to its hardware.

Think about the following:

- Dreamcast had an Hitachi SH4 @203Mhz, 16MB RAM @110Mhz and it was supported by a PowerVR2 @103Mhz
- Pandora has an ARM Cortex A8 @600Mhz (base clock), 256MB RAM @333Mhz with a PowerVR SGX (PoverVR5) @110Mhz

From what I saw so far I'd say 3DS is not superior to Dreamcast (do you remember Soul Calibur graphics ; ?! simply impressive !!!) and if we take into account 3DS resolution (400×240) we can see it clearly.

No need to even further compare Pandora to DC ;)

Messy said:
The 3DS has a DMP Pica @ 200 Mhz GPU which generates 15.3 million polygons per second. I don't know what the CPU will be.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/20/dmps-pica200-gpu-is-the-power-behind-nintendo-3ds-video/

... I swear: I didn't see this video before writing my previous message :rolleyes: !

What we were talking about :huh: ?! ... oh, yes: Soul Calibur on DC :lol: !!!

wizboy said:
Messy said:

... I swear: I didn't see this video before writing my previous message :rolleyes: !

What we were talking about :huh: ?! ... oh, yes: Soul Calibur on DC :lol: !!!

Well, here is another one with the sgx rendering a similar scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ToYOgP9f9U
I don't know why they seem to use the imagetech demos on the 3ds, but maybe the gpus arn't that different ;-)

The choppyness in this video is because of the recording, it should all run fluid.

Messy said:

http://www.engadget....endo-3ds-video/

It has a DMP Pica anyway. The 200MHz part is just what DMP specs that particular chip as being capable of running at. We don't know what it'll actually be clocked at, but look at it this way: IMG markets performance figures for SGX running at 200MHz, but no one actually clocks it that high in handheld SoCs (okay, maybe in S5PC110, dunno). These days some companies appear to come closer, but OMAP3530 for instance only goes up to 110. With Nintendo's emphasis on battery life it stands to reason that they're not going to clock the hell out of this and it's more likely we'll see something at a clock speed lower than contemporaries than higher. Granted it's hardly apples to apples comparing this chip at some clock to other chips at that clock but I don't think it's a totally different ballpark.

I guess maybe that samurai demo was done by some third party altogether..? Would make sense.

mali said:
Afaik, the world ends in 2012. Links or it didn't happen ;)
Well, i read about 3DS on some forum and there were link to detailed specs of 3DS hardware what already revealed. And sorry but i dont have that link now. And of course you dont have to believe me :) ))

^ It has nothing todo if I believe you or not, but these internet myths often get out of hand. People knew the iPad had a Cortex A9 design, yeah right ;)

Exophase said:
Messy said:

http://www.engadget....endo-3ds-video/

It has a DMP Pica anyway. The 200MHz part is just what DMP specs that particular chip as being capable of running at. We don't know what it'll actually be clocked at, but look at it this way: IMG markets performance figures for SGX running at 200MHz, but no one actually clocks it that high in handheld SoCs (okay, maybe in S5PC110, dunno). These days some companies appear to come closer, but OMAP3530 for instance only goes up to 110. With Nintendo's emphasis on battery life it stands to reason that they're not going to clock the hell out of this and it's more likely we'll see something at a clock speed lower than contemporaries than higher. Granted it's hardly apples to apples comparing this chip at some clock to other chips at that clock but I don't think it's a totally different ballpark.

I guess maybe that samurai demo was done by some third party altogether..? Would make sense.

I think that the OMAP3630 clocks at 196 or there abouts. No idea about the Galaxy though. I think we looked at this a while ago and I posted a link and everything ;)

quadomatic said:
I feel like the golden age of homebrew on the DS was when everyone still had to use PassMe and FlashMe. After the R4 showed up, all anyone cared about anymore was playing DS roms.

Haha it's so true!

Exophase said:
Oh, and the actual 3D effect probably does something for subjective image quality.

It most certainly does! I am an avid stereoscopic 3D gamer (I own one of those nvidia 3D vision kits) and I can definitely say that the 3D effect makes a HUGE difference in subjective image quality. Something about having actual depth to the image makes everything look a lot higher detail than it would in "2D+" (3D images rendered on a 2D screen, the standard way you're all used to looking at your games).

I find myself replaying old games from the early 2000's and just loving the shit outta their graphics when in stereoscopic 3D, you've never seen Unreal Engine 1 games look so pretty until you see them in true 3D. Deus Ex (my all time favorite game ever, ever) in stereoscopic 3D looks better than UT3 does in plain ol' "2D+" :D

With a lot of modern games, the 3D effect is actually diminished by all the post-processing effects they use to "increase the realism." I always have to turn the graphics settings DOWN on modern games in order for them to look BETTER in stereoscopic 3D. For example, COD5, I run it on maxed settings when not using my 3D vision... but then when I enable stereoscopic 3D I turn everything down to the minimum detail settings and it STILL looks better subjective image quality than it does without the 3D enabled.

Hopefully that gives you all an idea of how much of an impact having a real third dimension to your images actually makes.

monkeyo2 said:
I think 3DS games will have more depth to them........

:D :D :lol: :p :D :p :lol:

edit: oh yeah, and of course I'll be sleeping in the line to get a 3DS on release day... even if it means eating one meal a day for two months to offset the costs... I'm CRAZY for 3D! It's this horribly addictive indulgence... worse than crack (not that I'd know what crack is like, lol). Regardless, Pandora >>>>>>>>>> 3DS.

andys said:
I think that the OMAP3630 clocks at 196 or there abouts. No idea about the Galaxy though. I think we looked at this a while ago and I posted a link and everything ;)

192MHz, although I'm not sure that's not overclocked. What is actually using an OMAP3630 right now? Current Droid?

I'm sure, in theory the Pandora is more powerful than the 3DS.
But I'm also sure, the 3DS will use all of his hardware Power directly without compromises (or does the 3DS also have a "FULL" OS underneeth? ). The Pandora at the moment has many "Handbrakes" on, that prevent to use the Hardware like it could be possible. Bad Drivers, missing HW Accelerated Kernel, Hard to access NEON or finding good usage of the DSP Chip... many SW uses SDL which doesn't use Hardware Acceleration, Full Linux and Window Manager between Hardware an Software...
All this stuff eats CPU Power so I hope our talented Coders will find a way to improve the Usage of the OMAP Chipset of our beloved Pandora. :)
Then I guess we can better compare the Pandora Power with the upcoming Nintendo Handheld.

Back