Advantages the Open Pandora has over the Pyra?

Okay. I presume this Craig guy wasn't too high up on the accountability index when the Pandora was made?
Well when the Pandora first came to be he was just an unorganized eccentric that was fairly likable, some of his later actions with the Pandora project and also the ICP2 made him a bit un-popular around here... He made a few amusing videos

Falling off roof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWAOQW5yGZY&list=UUIqIiuP-aB68u9shJSYk-EA#t=163

Hmm.. I can't seem to find Craig's old holiday video showing off the Pandora in the snow with Vodka and a funny looking fuzzy hat.
LOLWTF?

Did he consider hiring Michael Bay to edit that video? Wow...

Anyway that "unorganized" characteristic is probably why he's not well-liked anymore? I did (sort of) read that Insane Clown Posse 2 thread about how he cancelled that project. I don't think it's too far-fetched to assume that that was derivative of his lack of organization.

I suspect the Pyra will be heavier (bigger battery) and is bigger by a mm or two in one dimension.
Nope, ED said not a single mm increase would be tolerated.
Not exactly true. I believe the current prototype case uses the same depth and length of the Pandora, however the width has been increased slightly to accommodate the bigger battery. ED has stated that there will be no more increase to size tolerated, however. I'm crossing my fingers hoping for any possible size reductions as the case and board revisions continue.

I suspect the Pyra will be heavier (bigger battery) and is bigger by a mm or two in one dimension.
Nope, ED said not a single mm increase would be tolerated.
Not exactly true. I believe the current prototype case uses the same depth and length of the Pandora, however the width has been increased slightly to accommodate the bigger battery. ED has stated that there will be no more increase to size tolerated, however. I'm crossing my fingers hoping for any possible size reductions as the case and board revisions continue.
I'd prefer a slight size increase if that gets us a better (less crammed) button layout.

But I'm fine with what we already have.

Craig in a nutshell:

• Instrumental in bringing the Pandora and iCP into being.
  • Known for weird videos involving, tea, vodka, an ushanka, falling of the roof, jaffa-cakes and various combinations thereof
  • Somehow (though incompetence, bad luck or malevolence) managed to leave OpenPandora Ltd without enough money to ship outstanding orders, which had already being outstanding for several years
  • Started to organise the development of the iCP2. Delays. Financial problems. Mythical worldwide LED shortage. Cancelled.
  • Has now left this community, owing large numbers of people pandoras, iControlPad(2)s and a credible explanation of what happened.

Some people would say I've been a little harsh on him here. Most probably wouldn't.

The only reason the pandora project didn't sink like a lead colander is because it got rescued by an evil dragon with a plan and some investors.

I think you're being fairly level. And since people tend to shout at me for being too nice to craig, I expect they'll blast you, too :D

I actually got a bit of sad nostalgia out of that. I miss the vodka-in-snow-video and the alcoholic jaffa cake thingie. I did find the one which ends with his girlfriend filming him eating noodles with his hands at four in the morning, though.

Scary thought: Those videos where made when Craig more or less had his shit together.

Craig in a nutshell:

• Instrumental in bringing the Pandora and iCP into being.
  • Known for weird videos involving, tea, vodka, an ushanka, falling of the roof, jaffa-cakes and various combinations thereof
  • Somehow (though incompetence, bad luck or malevolence) managed to leave OpenPandora Ltd without enough money to ship outstanding orders, which had already being outstanding for several years
  • Started to organise the development of the iCP2. Delays. Financial problems. Mythical worldwide LED shortage. Cancelled.
  • Has now left this community, owing large numbers of people pandoras, iControlPad(2)s and a credible explanation of what happened.

Some people would say I've been a little harsh on him here. Most probably wouldn't.

The only reason the pandora project didn't sink like a lead colander is because it got rescued by an evil dragon with a plan and some investors.
Interesting...

So basically he's the kind of person who starts something he's either unable to finish or can't find a way to finish. Man, there must have been more than a few trials and tribulations here because of that.

I think you're being fairly level. And since people tend to shout at me for being too nice to craig, I expect they'll blast you, too :D

I actually got a bit of sad nostalgia out of that. I miss the vodka-in-snow-video and the alcoholic jaffa cake thingie. I did find the one which ends with his girlfriend filming him eating noodles with his hands at four in the morning, though.

Scary thought: Those videos where made when Craig more or less had his shit together.

You know what? If I could have these ideas pop up in my head, sort of start working on making them come to fruition, and utterly fail at them, I'd try eating noodles with my hands at the asscrack of dawn too. That would drive me insane as it would those around me.

A big advantage is the two moths™ joke. ;) If ED continues his plans we will loose all delay jokes! In the end even order numbers will not matter at all!!!

The pandora SoC was PoP - Package on package. It brings pure joy to my heart hearing evildragon say it, and now the omap5 isnt available in PoP.

Well, life must go on i suppose.

starts something he's either unable to finish or can't find a way to finish.
And probably keeps a lot of money for himself in the process as well. See what happened with the ICP2 and the fact that nobody knows where most of the money went.  
That's definitely quite the negative light you're shining on Craig, especially since he's already proven to be not responsible and not organized.

Perhaps too much of the money was to fund the development rather than the manufacturing due to mismanagement of finances as well as incorrectly predicting the cost of development. Most of these independent projects have a budget that covers the bare minimum costs, so what would he have left to pocket? Change?

This ain't the same as what happened with that board game Kickstarter project. That was just straight fleecing people.

Perhaps too much of the money was to fund the development rather than the manufacturing due to mismanagement of finances as well as incorrectly predicting the cost of development. Most of these independent projects have a budget that covers the bare minimum costs, so what would he have left to pocket? Change?
Look, I don't want to start the discussion again here, but he got more money that he asked, and he did not spend it on development because nothing was fully produced even in small quantities (apart from a small PCB population for prototyping). So basically, the large remainder of the money is in his hands and nobody knows what he did with it. Now, if you want to continue that conversation, please go in the "they're throwing in the towel" thread. This is not the place.

Look, I don't want to start the discussion again here,...

Maybe you shouldn't have started our exchange with:

And probably keeps a lot of money for himself in the process as well. See what happened with the ICP2 and the fact that nobody knows where most of the money went.
because starting a discussion of this topic is what you *almost* did. Continue.

...but he got more money that he asked, and he did not spend it on development because nothing was fully produced even in small quantities (apart from a small PCB population for prototyping). So basically, the large remainder of the money is in his hands and nobody knows what he did with it. Now, if you want to continue that conversation, please go in the "they're throwing in the towel" thread. This is not the place.
And since no one knows what he did with the money, why dwell on it and draw conclusions like, "He fleeced us!!!" Even when other people's money's involved, there's no point in dwelling on it. It's done and over with.

But I digress. If you didn't want to start this discussion, even though you did actually start this discussion, good on ya for stoppin' it I guess.

even though you did actually start this discussion, good on ya for stoppin' it I guess.
you were asking about Craig. Questions get answers. :p  

And since no one knows what he did with the money, why dwell on it and draw conclusions like, "He fleeced us!!!"

Clearly you don't know the guy enough. You're still new here, I don't blame you. 

even though you did actually start this discussion, good on ya for stoppin' it I guess.

you were asking about Craig. Questions get answers. :p
And those answers sometimes spawn more questions and the entire trivia ends up becoming a discussion. Which you weren't too keen on having, even though that non-intention was unclear at first.

And since no one knows what he did with the money, why dwell on it and draw conclusions like, "He fleeced us!!!"

Clearly you don't know the guy enough. You're still new here, I don't blame you.
Yeah, and I somehow highly doubt anyone but his ex-colleagues know him on a personal level. Then again, maybe more long-timers will happen by and force-feed me a plate of crow.

I just don't like negativity, much less having it hide behind a façade of realism, especially when something that's happened is done and over with (for the most part).

Anyhow, bringing the thread back on topic, I understand the Pyra won't have analogue line-in, unless that situation has changed recently, which will curtail my music making on Pandora escapades.

Back