Advantages the Open Pandora has over the Pyra?

Yeah, and I somehow highly doubt anyone but his ex-colleagues know him on a personal level. Then again, maybe more long-timers will happen by and force-feed me a plate of crow.

I just don't like negativity, much less having it hide behind a façade of realism, especially when something that's happened is done and over with (for the most part).
If you want to know more about what happened, dig the forums. All the evidence is there for anyone to find it. It makes no sense to try to defend him if you don't know him as well as "his ex-colleagues" either.

well, there's one quite big advantage for the pandora... it's (still) available... No offense meant there ED, but I doubt there'll be no delay before the pyra comes out... I'm fairly confident we can continue to use the old two months jokes...

also I'm wondering about the full-HD screen... that's way more pixel to push for anything that's soft based... and I'm not sure that something randered at a more resonable resolution and hardware scaled will look great, but well, we'll see...

well, there's one quite big advantage for the pandora... it's (still) available... No offense meant there ED, but I doubt there'll be no delay before the pyra comes out... I'm fairly confident we can continue to use the old two months jokes...

also I'm wondering about the full-HD screen... that's way more pixel to push for anything that's soft based... and I'm not sure that something randered at a more resonable resolution and hardware scaled will look great, but well, we'll see...
It's probably not going to be a full-HD screen, but 720p.

"Existing already" is indeed of course a strong point of the Pandora compared to the Pyra :) .

Another one could be the price: when the Pyra gets released it will probably be more expensive than the Pandora. Assuming you can still buy the Pandora by then.

Sticking to non-meta properties of the devices:

• The Pandora will probably have more externally visible LEDs (it has 6, I think the Pyra will have only one, albeit an RGB one).
  • The Pandora keyboard has slightly larger keys (same width but more height), which could be an advantage.
  • If you can put a Pyra battery in the Pandora, the Pandora will possibly have a better battery life than the Pyra.
  • The Pandora has speakers in the lid, the Pyra has them in the base. In some circumstances having them in the lid is better.
  • The Pyra will not have a mini-USB port.
  • The Pyra will not have a power switch on the outside, so you have to open the lid to turn it on.
Those are the advantages of the Pandora over the Pyra I can think of. All quite minor things, and I cannot imagine that anyone would actually prefer a Pandora over a Pyra, but you never know. Maybe someone has a large collection of mini-USB devices and does not like the hassle of adapter cables.

Yeah, and I somehow highly doubt anyone but his ex-colleagues know him on a personal level. Then again, maybe more long-timers will happen by and force-feed me a plate of crow.

I just don't like negativity, much less having it hide behind a façade of realism, especially when something that's happened is done and over with (for the most part).
If you want to know more about what happened, dig the forums. All the evidence is there for anyone to find it. It makes no sense to try to defend him if you don't know him as well as "his ex-colleagues" either.
Don't get it twisted. I'm not defending him. I'm trying to see if the negativity (and perhaps disgust) is with credence or not and to see why this one dude is a subject to vitriol on a personal level.

From what I've seen, his actions are absolutely deserving of said vitriol, and that's basically the end of it. Other than that, some/a lot of y'all took this shit too personal and end up uniting in a crusade against a ghost.

Well when the Pandora first came to be he was just an unorganized eccentric that was fairly likable, some of his later actions with the Pandora project and also the ICP2 made him a bit un-popular around here... He made a few amusing videos

Falling off roof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWAOQW5yGZY&list=UUIqIiuP-aB68u9shJSYk-EA#t=163

Hmm.. I can't seem to find Craig's old holiday video showing off the Pandora in the snow with Vodka and a funny looking fuzzy hat.
Yeah I watched that back in March of last year and that was a pretty amusing video. This was before I knew of all the sketchy things he did. He doesn't seem like a bad person, but his decisions and what he did to the community was pretty awful.

I think another advantage, and I may be wrong on this, but I remember hearing that not all of the Pyra's driver will be open source (I think that's what he called it). Some you wont be able to tweak with at all while with the Pandora I believe you have a lot more freedom as far as drivers go.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pandora SoC was PoP - Package on package. It brings pure joy to my heart hearing evildragon say it, and now the omap5 isnt available in PoP.

Well, life must go on i suppose.
We could probably get away with still calling it PoP if you like... after all the SoC and Memory will be mounted PCB on PCB. ;)

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
The pandora SoC was PoP - Package on package. It brings pure joy to my heart hearing evildragon say it
Out of curiousity: whats so "joyfull" about pop ? You'll save pcb space for sure, but the price is a more complicated and expensive assembly, or not ?

It's not over. People are still waiting for the Pandora they ordered. And the ICP2 they paid for. It's over for you since you were not part of these orders, but saying it's over is unfair for those who are waiting.  

It's probably not going to be a full-HD screen, but 720p.

"Existing already" is indeed of course a strong point of the Pandora compared to the Pyra :) .

Another one could be the price: when the Pyra gets released it will probably be more expensive than the Pandora. Assuming you can still buy the Pandora by then.

Sticking to non-meta properties of the devices:

• The Pandora will probably have more externally visible LEDs (it has 6, I think the Pyra will have only one, albeit an RGB one).
  • The Pandora keyboard has slightly larger keys (same width but more height), which could be an advantage.
  • If you can put a Pyra battery in the Pandora, the Pandora will possibly have a better battery life than the Pyra.
  • The Pandora has speakers in the lid, the Pyra has them in the base. In some circumstances having them in the lid is better.
  • The Pyra will not have a mini-USB port.
  • The Pyra will not have a power switch on the outside, so you have to open the lid to turn it on.
Those are the advantages of the Pandora over the Pyra I can think of. All quite minor things, and I cannot imagine that anyone would actually prefer a Pandora over a Pyra, but you never know. Maybe someone has a large collection of mini-USB devices and does not like the hassle of adapter cables.
Great Answer Thanks!

Back