Pandora Vs 3Ds

fusion_power said:
Hard to access NEON

Everything else notwithstanding this part is not an issue. If anyone has problems with NEON it's their inability to use it, not the OS getting in the way. It's 100% available in user mode without any special tricks.

Last edited by a moderator:
wizboy said:
- Dreamcast had an Hitachi SH4 @203Mhz, 16MB RAM @110Mhz and it was supported by a PowerVR2 @103Mhz
curious numbers. any sources for those?

All those figures mean nothing if you can't do anything with it. I highly doubt Nintendo will allow homebrew given their aggressive attitude towards flashcards. No homebrew makes the 3DS worthless to me and thus not even worth thinking about a comparison.

mali said:
Afaik, the world ends in 2012. Links or it didn't happen ;)

e3-2010-ocarina-of-time-3ds-on-the-way-20100615014852708.jpg

Nintendo won't allow flash carts in the traditional sense but they really haven't done much to stop it in the past from where I'm standing. Flash carts are exceedingly easy to get and are available fairly quickly after nintendo hardware is released. They were a little tougher on wii mod chips but in my experience they are pretty lax on flash card enforcement for their handhelds. The games their self are sometimes written to only be a demo if a flash cart is detected but that's only for big releases in most cases and only delays pirating till someone makes a patch for that game. I know that Nintendo shut down a couple flash cart manufacturers but it hasn't affected the supply of flash carts in the market. I think Nintendo has a anti-piracy cost vs profit damage ratio they are willing to live with. It might take awhile but I'd put money on the 3DS getting hacked and a healthy homebrew community emerging.

darkblu said:
wizboy said:
- Dreamcast had an Hitachi SH4 @203Mhz, 16MB RAM @110Mhz and it was supported by a PowerVR2 @103Mhz
curious numbers. any sources for those?

... you're right: curious numbers indeed :(

I took them simply from Wiki but I double checked and it looks like there're differences between English and Italian pages :huh: !

UK: SH4@200Mhz, RAM@100Mhz, PoverVR2@100Mhz (from related PowerVR2 Wiki page)
IT: SH4@203Mhz, RAM@100Mhz, PoverVR2@103Mhz

... since the RAM sticks to 100Mhz in both versions, it was a typo ... my bad :(

Cheers :)

wizboy said:
I took them simply from Wiki but I double checked and it looks like there're differences between English and Italian pages :huh: !

UK: SH4@200Mhz, RAM@100Mhz, PoverVR2@100Mhz (from related PowerVR2 Wiki page)
IT: SH4@203Mhz, RAM@100Mhz, PoverVR2@103Mhz

... since the RAM sticks to 100Mhz in both versions, it was a typo ... my bad :(
looks like some kid thought it'd be oh-so-cool to skew the numbers in the italian page. /fundamental problem with wikipedia

the english page is correct ; )

Exophase said:
fusion_power said:
Hard to access NEON

Everything else notwithstanding this part is not an issue. If anyone has problems with NEON it's their inability to use it, not the OS getting in the way. It's 100% available in user mode without any special tricks.
The OS could turn off VFP/NEON and there's nothing a user app could do to regain access if the OS doesn't cooperate. But why would an OS do that? Can't say, but I've seen more stupid things :p

Bosbeetle said:
When we get to pandora 3 we should name it pandora 3d very retro by then :p

We'll have holograms by then right?

Pandora -- 3DS... Its hard to choose at first.
I imagine they might be near the same price, since the 3DS will for sure cost more than the DSi XL.
I think the Pandora is better because of all it can do, what you can do with it, and what it can emulate. With the pandora, we already know what it can do and is capable of at this point, and anyone can make games for it. With the 3DS, we do not know all of the information about it, its final design, or if it will ever have homebrew or piracy. We don't know what it can emulate yet, either. I would go for the Pandora now, and once (if) the 3DS ever gets hacked, buy one, so you have the Pandora, and a cool 3D handheld.

Games cost a lot... Mario Kart for $50 CAD? Nintendo must be BATHING in their profit! So thats why Nintendo consoles are sold for a lower price than the Pandora, and you don't have to pay upfront.

I still don't know why anyone actually thinks 3DS will cost > $300. The only unknown item in the pricing is the screen, and I doubt it'll cost so much as to throw off the price dramatically, especially not for an emergent technology that is attempting to be market proven by some big companies.

It might cost more than DSi (XL should be moot, form factor is more comparable to a DSi bump) but there's a long way to go from DSi price ($170) to Pandora price ($350). That's over twice as expensive!

They're not really comparable, I'll be getting both, the 3DS for Nintendo's awesome first party games and the Pandora for pretty much everything else. I wish I was at E3 to see what the 3D is like, there really is no way of knowing without trying it yourself (unless someone manages to record the 3DS screen in crosseyed 3D), and there's a few months until it's being released so I'll have to wait until then to see what the 3D is like.

Back