30$ bounty for a pc-98 emulator

Lets add here that xnp2 (Which already has pnd btw) might be a good starting point.

It can already run intro for TH 1-5, but that's it. It probably misses a whole lot of opcodes for the PC98 model TH 1-5 used to run so, those would need to be implented.

For what's it worth, I've heard that the original np2 can run TH 1-5 with right bios settings, so there would be some help there.

Can someone please port the lastest xnp2 sources to the Pandora with the i386 core support ?

I'm not looking for touhou games particularly, but in pc 98 games in general, i've tested "Kuro no Ken / Blade of Darkness" and its not working... I suppose this is because the current version (16-05-2011) doesnt support i386 instructions...

Thanks in advance :)

Can someone please port the lastest xnp2 sources to the Pandora with the i386 core support ?

I'm not looking for touhou games particularly, but in pc 98 games in general, i've tested "Kuro no Ken / Blade of Darkness" and its not working... I suppose this is because the current version (16-05-2011) doesnt support i386 instructions...

Thanks in advance :)

I've compiled the latest version, and it seems to compile the i386c core to the build however, is there way for me to confirm this?

Also it's shame, but the arm core isn't compatible with pandora that is there, the arm assembly looks really odd..

Great :)

Can you please upload it in the repo if its fully working (at least as good as the old port) so that I can try it ? I will test the game "kuro no ken" and tell you if its working...

Also, if you have the file EMM386.EXE or any protected mode i386 executable you could execute it and see if its supported...

Great :)

Can you please upload it in the repo if its fully working (at least as good as the old port) so that I can try it ? I will test the game "kuro no ken" and tell you if its working...

Also, if you have the file EMM386.EXE or any protected mode i386 executable you could execute it and see if its supported...

It seems it's not compiled in. It will need configure option --enable-ia32, to enable i386c emulation, however this seems to bork the whole build.

I'll keep investigating.

K, got it compiled. It needed bit hand tuning since the build system is broken.

However Touhou seems to work now too :) The speed isn't amazing though. It would be nice if someone wrote arm core for the i386.

I've just tested, the app doesnt work at all, when I launch the emulator the led of the SD card blink a little, but nothing happens ...

It would be helpful, if you could post the contents of the /tmp/pnd_run.programname.out file.

@mcobit:

here it is :

=======================================================================================

PND : /media/SD2GO/pandora/menu/xnp2-ia32.pnd

PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs

APPDATADIR : /media/SD2GO/pandora/appdata/xnp2-ia32

APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>

EXENAME : scripts/xnp2.sh

ARGUMENTS : <unset>

=======================================================================================

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/xnp2-ia32"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/SD2GO/pandora/appdata/xnp2-ia32=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/xnp2-ia32=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/xnp2-ia32"

[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application (scripts/xnp2.sh ) ----------

/mnt/utmp/xnp2-ia32/.np2//sav/: Operation not permitted

[ FAILED]--- Starting the application (scripts/xnp2.sh ) ----------

[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/xnp2-ia32': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 2

It seems the problem is in this buggy path : /mnt/utmp/xnp2-ia32/.np2//sav/

@ingoreis:

xnp2 is a great emulator, and its very close to working perfectly on the Pandora, the i286c version is fullspeed at low frequencies, so I really think even the i386c version would be fullspeed easilly, at least at 1 ghz...

Weird, I tested the PND and it worked well. Is your SD formatted to fat32? I used this on ext2 SD.

Fat32 might not like // in their paths file on unix filesystem it's fine. However I can see if I can fix this bug on xnp2 too.

Edit:

APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat
Ah seems like you are using vfat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure that the "sav" folder isn't included in the PND, that could cause problems too.
It isn't, I do have a brain. It's bug in the linux port of this application, and vfat "limitation".

However, I do have .np2 folder there with ready font. However that should not cause a problem since it's not created if it exist.

@kamui_kun

See if this PND fixes it for you. If it does I'll upload it to repo.

http://cloudef.eu/pnd/xnp2-ia32.pnd

Also, give output if it still fails.

Last edited by a moderator:
It crashed at first, but then I checked the log, and created this folder manually : "\pandora\appdata\xnp2-ia32\.np2\sav" and now its working perfectly :)

The emulator now support CD images, so CD games like Policenauts should work now...

Also, I tryed "kuro no ken", and its now working perfectly...

Thanks a lot ;)

Back