2Nd Review Case Should Arrive Soon.

Funny there are still people getting disappointed by delays. You should think they would get used to it by now :)
I am here for the long run, just waiting patiently. Would be nice to see it in a couple of weeks, but if it takes 6 months I will still be here (unless the competition has copied or improved the Pandora concept).

I like the idea of showing communication with suppliers. Just the bare facts, no interpretations and no predictions.

craigix said:
What would you do?

buy michael a ticket to china.

sorry, that's what i'd have done a few months back. but then, i am notorious in not trusting chinese plastic companies :)

by the way: does it still stand that the cases are not the bottleneck as you said about a week back?

thanks and good luck with the factory.

Last edited by a moderator:
b_o_b said:
Funny there are still people getting disappointed by delays. You should think they would get used to it by now :)
I am here for the long run, just waiting patiently. Would be nice to see it in a couple of weeks, but if it takes 6 months I will still be here (unless the competition has copied or improved the Pandora concept).

I like the idea of showing communication with suppliers. Just the bare facts, no interpretations and no predictions.

That's what I'm thinking. Delays should be expected with this device, given its past experiences.

I'm actually impressed with the speed of modification that the factory has put forth. It sounds like they are changing it right when they see a mistake, rather than waiting for Weston to tell them about it.

Hey i appreciate craig taking the time out to talk. but thwat i dont appreciate is this b_o_b Icon, coming on here and having to comment, about people being disappointed in the dealys. there was no yelling or screaming or name calling or anyhting, craig answred me back the best he could and vice versa. this dude shows up and has in effect put me down and anyone, that asks questions. i can only say to him, i dont give a hoot and holler whether your init for the logn haul. what you said has nothing to do with the topic, you just wanted to do somebad mouhting , well before you say anyhtign again, look in the mirror. my aplogies for ranting, but it wasant at the team at all, as you can see in theposts. one of the blanks just has to be heard, and try to rain on everyone else.

:( , im sad, im afraid ill have to drop the towel

i have to figure out how to get $$$ fast since i have to pay off some university grade rights.

anyway ill stick around until i get some cash back

Gerald, b_o_b didn't call names. He just posts his opinion like everyone else. Let's all be civil :)

craigix said:
For once they probably will meet this date, the last cases were almost there, the changes are minimal this time.

Why should it take 2 weeks to do "minimal changes"?

I've been following the project forever, I was one of the paypal people who got burned and still reordered, and I've been waiting patiently till today.

Here's what you do. You said you own the mold. So you demand they overnight the mold to you (Which is 99% done?) and then say "Since you guys have taken over six months to do a '45 day project', we're not paying you anything" once you have it. Take it to a _PROFESSIONAL_ company in England, and tell them "We'll give you (the same amount you didn't pay those _incompetent_ people in China) if you can do the last few fixes and give us 10,000 cases in three days." Since they have a 99% done mold, they will be thrilled at the profit margin, and jump right on it.

Problem solved, all done by the 10th, and we MIGHT get our Pandoras within 18 months of our orders.

BUt maybe that's all just crazy talk - to expect some sort of ACCOUNTABILITY from the mold manufacturer.

I know you said that you had to do the mold in China because of the costs, and China was so much cheaper, but taking five times the "promised" time to do it, which was still 3 times longer than it had any right to be, ranks right up there with Marcel DuChamp's Fountain in Dadaist glory as a joke.

I'm more than a little sick of waiting, and 10 days for "MINOR CHANGES" is more than a little absurd.
They need to get them done, and now.

@thingie1234

We are already WELL into the cases with the Chinese factory. Jan 15th isn't that much longer.

@Craig

Thanks man. The onus is on the Chinese factory.

thingie1234 said:
craigix said:
For once they probably will meet this date, the last cases were almost there, the changes are minimal this time.

I've been following the project forever, I was one of the paypal people who got burned and still reordered, and I've been waiting patiently till today.

Here's what you do. You said you own the mold. So you demand they overnight the mold to you (Which is 99% done?) and then say "Since you guys have taken over six months to do a '45 day project', we're not paying you anything" once you have it. Take it to a _PROFESSIONAL_ company in England, and tell them "We'll give you (the same amount you didn't pay those _incompetent_ people in China) if you can do the last few fixes and give us 10,000 cases in three days." Since they have a 99% done mold, they will be thrilled at the profit margin, and jump right on it.

Problem solved, all done by the 10th, and we MIGHT get our Pandoras within 18 months of our orders.

BUt maybe that's all just crazy talk - to expect some sort of ACCOUNTABILITY from the mold manufacturer.

I know you said that you had to do the mold in China because of the costs, and China was so much cheaper, but taking five times the "promised" time to do it, which was still 3 times longer than it had any right to be, ranks right up there with Marcel DuChamp's Fountain in Dadaist glory as a joke.

I'm more than a little sick of waiting, and 10 days for "MINOR CHANGES" is more than a little absurd.

problem 1 with your plan: they already paid the full amount to the chinese factory (as per ed's message a few days ago).

i'm sure there are others.

thingie1234 said:
craigix said:

1) the OPT already paid off all the cash

2) production cost are pretty much higher, since material and personel are much more expensive in UK near 600% to a awesome 1800%.

3) Quality is usually low because they have to meet profitable margin. not everything in china is bad, actually most of the consumer electronic for the world comes from china & taiwan

4) usually comunication is the cause of the delays, really i work in this place and i do get well paid because its hard for them to understand each other.
not only because the language but because most of the time you speak with a salesperson instead of someone that understand the actual issues or that is working on the mould himself.

5) minor changes are the hardest since if they mess up here they could render useless the mould. also final treatments to the mould if furter required takes the most of the time since theres also queue for using specialized machinery.

6) im pretty sure you've got another account on the boards and used this one to bash over the project. a lil cross reference with ip address and i would get you. (really they should not allow more than 1 account per ip/user) (sorry for those that have shared connections)

thingie1234 said:
craigix said:

The problem with that is that they've already paid the factory, in full. Or at least that's what I had gathered from the posts. I am of the opinion that they should either send Michael over to China until it's finished, or pay for overnight shipping on all further revs. The overnight shipping would probably be cheaper and nearly as effective in cutting the turn-around time down.

mali said:
Gerald, b_o_b didn't call names. He just posts his opinion like everyone else. Let's all be civil :)
I thought he had the same vibe as Gerald1. Explains a lot.

Craig, thanks for posting the email. We are with you guys. It's appreciated, but i'm curious if the revisions due for January 15th completion include the silkscreening aspect of the cases as well? :unsure:

emil10001 said:
The problem with that is that they've already paid the factory, in full. Or at least that's what I had gathered from the posts. I am of the opinion that they should either send Michael over to China until it's finished, or pay for overnight shipping on all further revs. The overnight shipping would probably be cheaper and nearly as effective in cutting the turn-around time down.

i would suggest a 3rd party consultancy firm, i believe there are a lot of cheaper options to get someone to get the things straight

craigix said:
Jaguar said:
and here we go again, with another famous , exact date, jan. 15th. oh well, i give up.

So I post one of my more cryptic posts and you moan there is no exact information. We post what the factory tells us and they miss the date.

What would you do?
The factory emails is a very good idea, and greatly appreciated! Please don't end this service before it has a chance to make a differance! The only problem now is that once again, members where thinking the new cases where coming, and now we know there not due until after the 15th. This is where the lack of communication creates problems. We havn't seen the emails from a week ago, but I'm guessing they alluded to more cases being done, and shipped asap, and now they deliver the email we all just read.

Now EVERYONE should know that the new cases will not arrive this weekend, and we should not expect them until after the 15th. This is a good thing, and it should be seen that way. Now we won't hear one thing one day, and then be told something else on another. Craig, Ed, and Michael have been filling in the blanks, to make members happy, and that is where the error has been made. Anytime information is communicated thru multiple persons, it is slightly differant, from person to person. The more people included in the chain, the more distorted the information can become. Now if everyone is getting the same info direct from the factory, the only problem anyone should have is the same old problem, "what is the factory doing", and why are they moving so slow.

Now every member can make there own guesstimations as to what the factory emails mean. Now lets all move forward, and hope for the best on the 15th!

Chris

There was not a single more reliable injection moulding company which could have made the cases for a decent price?

I definitely agree with hch, I would also send MWeston over to China to talk to the manufacturer directly and stay there until the case has met the proper standards and looks good enough to Mass produce. BUT I can see a couple potential problems with this scenerio:

1. It costs lots of $$$ to send someone to China
2. MWeston may have a full-time job and not enough vacation time to go for a trip
3. Language Barrier, I'm guessing that MWeston went to a Canadian School such as myself and did not have a chance to learn Mandarin or Cantonese just French so an interpreter/guide would probably need to be hired as well.

My question to our community is this: If MWeston was possibly able to take time off to go to China would anyone be willing to contribute to a "Michael Goes to China" Fund?

I mean if we have everyone donate $10 and we got at least 500 forum members to contribute we could raise 5 grand to send him on his way. I would probably be willing to pay double that to have a Pandora in my hands that much faster. I was pricing out flights and it looks like it would be around $2000-4000 to fly him out there and back with Air Canada.

i work as an interpreter and i can only say its not a cheap go, and even less if it hast to deal with technical engineering issues.

and even so, it would be near useless since they wont give him 24/7 attention, they dont have only OPT as a customer, they might have several bunchs of people dealing with all the requests needs deadlines and more.

consultancy firm would be more usefull less cost and you get a plus you dont have to hire a translator/interpreter

Back