2GB version worth it?

SneHebNor

Looking at the pre-order stats, only 1.7% of all orders are for a 2GB version, while 98.3% are 4GB orders. From my own company I know that every product variant has their overhead for administration, production, and warehousing. Is it worth keeping the 2GB variants alive? Just curious, no critique intended.

Based on previous information, it seems only the 2GB version were developed and tested. It is not clear whether 4GB will works fine or not.

At current levels it's likely the 2GB units ordered can be populated with 512MB chips already in stock, perhaps offsetting the cost of a different CPU board configuration needing to be managed. If there were a sudden surge in 2GB orders it might be problematic, but that looks unlikely, so I see no reason to change things right now.

Based on previous information, it seems only the 2GB version were developed and tested. It is not clear whether 4GB will works fine or not.
As I understand it the 1GB memory chips are a drop in replacement for the 512MB memory chips. There is unlikely to be any issue because the circuitry needed to support each capacity is the same. Which isn't to say there shouldn't or won't be any testing, but even without it it's a pretty good bet that it will work.

- Neelix

As I understand it the 1GB memory chips are a drop in replacement for the 512MB memory chips. There is unlikely to be any issue because the circuitry needed to support each capacity is the same. Which isn't to say there shouldn't or won't be any testing, but even without it it's a pretty good bet that it will work.

- Neelix

Correct, instead of 4x 512mb for the 2gb version
we wil have 4x 1gb
which should have the same access speed, instead of going the 2x 2gb

Last edited:
Back