0 Ad

Whoever thinks about porting it will have to do some optimising and cutting down on the graphics.

Minimum:
- Windows® 2000 or greater (or Linux®)
- 1 Ghz Processor
- 256 Mb RAM
- 32 Mb Geforce3/Radeon 8500 (or equivalent)
Recommended:
- 1.6 Ghz Processor or greater
- 256+ Mb RAM
- 64 Mb Geforce3/Radeon 8500 (or equivalent)

Looks to me like those palm trees have self-shadowing enabled, perhaps not the most important detail when controlling your army on the battlefield :D

NLS said:
Minimum:
®??

- 1 Ghz Processor
Got a 600Mhz ARM, which can be overclockable to 800. This is way over an 1GHz x86.

- 256 Mb RAM
Got it. Moreover it is '256 MB RAM' I think. And it's 256 MB with a normal OS, not with a lightweight one.

- 32 Mb Geforce3/Radeon 8500 (or equivalent)
Ha, I don't know which CG the PowerVR is equivalent to, neither how much VRAM it has.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clock for clock the ARM was closer to a stipped down PII, so you're being overly optimistic. Also clock for clock it was around 20 times SLOWER than a core2duo.

Enverex said:
Clock for clock the ARM was closer to a stipped down PII, so you're being overly optimistic. Also clock for clock it was around 20 times SLOWER than a core2duo.

Slower than a core2duo, I can understand, but concerning the PII, I'm quite surprised...

It would probably require re-coding, but volumetric shadows can be done very cheaply on powervr hardware by using modifier volumes or stencil buffering.

Clock for clock the ARM was closer to a stipped down PII, so you're being overly optimistic. Also clock for clock it was around 20 times SLOWER than a core2duo
Its definitely not hugely faster than a P3, clock for clock, but i wouldn't go that far. The NEON unit is probably better than the MMX + SSE in P3. The main thing x86 has over it is out-of-order execution and 10-stage vs 13-stage. The omap3 has a better memory configuration and the nbench result suggest int and memory scores around P3.

Adventus said:
Clock for clock the ARM was closer to a stipped down PII, so you're being overly optimistic. Also clock for clock it was around 20 times SLOWER than a core2duo
Its definitely not hugely faster than a P3, clock for clock, but i wouldn't go that far. The NEON unit is probably better than the MMX + SSE in P3. The main thing x86 has over it is out-of-order execution and 10-stage vs 13-stage. The omap3 has a better memory configuration and the nbench result suggest int and memory scores around P3.

This is reassuring!

And what about the PowerVR SGX? Do we have any comparison possible?

That looks like fun too, a little older, but great graphics.

In order to run the Spring engine we need 512mb ram a 1ghz CPU (1ghz CPU can support about 500 units) with SSE a graphics accelerator equivalent to a Geforce 4MX. Will need some heavy optimisation to run at playable speeds. Getting the sgx to do the work of a Geforce 4MX will be quite some work.

Enverex said:
That page makes me sad when you can see all the other hardware that outpaces it though (the new iPhone for instance apparently, using the 535 rather than the 530 the Pandora uses).

Other things I read show it as being the 520 rather than the 535, although I don't think anybody is that sure. the 5*5 I think have a SIMD unit rather than scalar units, I think that might be overkill in a mobile device.

I don't think anybody is 100% sure exactly which SGX it is using, however it must be possible to glean an idea by simply running a test app on it and seeing how well it performs.

Of course, it might well be clocked higher (or lower) which would change the comparison somewhat.

The Pandora has the 530. The debate is over which one the new iPhone uses. Other than being an OMAP3, there's not much information I can find on it.

I believe this is the soc in the new iphone

Samsung S5pc100

It should have the sgx 530 @100mhz. What is the Pandoras sgx clocked at?

And there are some comparisons online that show the iphone vs the palm pre where the iphone seems to be faster at web browsing, but performs similarly to the pre otherwise. I will try and find a link to the comparison I read that showed this.

However, there has been talk of the driver for the sgx 535 "IMGSGX535GLDriver" being found in the 3gs. But it could be more advertising spin by apple, like this crappy comparison against older phones. If they have the best gpu available atm for the A-8 in their device, why are they being secretive as to which sgx is in the freaking thing.

You'd think they would be boasting in order to draw in tech savvy buyers.

Kloplop321 said:
It looks like Age of Empires, I liked that game.
I really love AOE too!

sold said:
I believe this is the soc in the new iphone

Samsung S5pc100

It should have the sgx 530 @100mhz. What is the Pandoras sgx clocked at?

And there are some comparisons online that show the iphone vs the palm pre where the iphone seems to be faster at web browsing, but performs similarly to the pre otherwise. I will try and find a link to the comparison I read that showed this.

However, there has been talk of the driver for the sgx 535 "IMGSGX535GLDriver" being found in the 3gs. But it could be more advertising spin by apple, like this crappy comparison against older phones. If they have the best gpu available atm for the A-8 in their device, why are they being secretive as to which sgx is in the freaking thing.

You'd think they would be boasting in order to draw in tech savvy buyers.

The Pandora's SGX can be clocked to 55 or 110mhz.

The iPhone is faster loading web pages, but at this point that is not indicative of any power difference between it and the Pre. Apple has had years to polish the iPhone's OS and increase speed, while the Pre is relatively new.

Back