ZZT

Rigor Mortis

In a recent thread, I mentioned how it would be useful if more game development tools were ported to the GP32. I would like to suggest ZZT as a possible port.

The original source code for ZZT was apparently lost, however there are open-source ZZT clones, such as this project...

www.planetzztpp.com/about.html

If this is any incentive, there are hundreds of games that have been created for the ZZT engine, also, ZZT is an old game so it has very small filesizes, and should be simple to run at full speed on the GP32.

Oh yeah, I remember ZZT. I used it a little bit back in the day, but after a while, I decided I would be better off programming my own games.

One thing about ZZT though, I would think that the actual editor would need to be PC based. I can't see designing those games on the GP32 itself. So you would have the editor on the PC and the interpreter on the GP32.

But other than that, I see no problem. Almost anything with a CPU can run a ZZT game, so power wouldn't even be an issue.

You're right, you would need to create the games on the PC and just have the interpreter on the GP32.

I never got around to learning to create my own games, but I played many games by others. There's many types of games available for ZZT - RPG, adventure, action, and puzzle are the types I've played

Well why would u wanna make a game on the gp32?

all games made for the gp32 are made on the pc so why bother making it for the gp32? the layer for ZZT on the gp32 so u can play games made by zzt is a good idea.

What is zzt its not a language is it?

:ph34r:

NiN^_^NiN posted on Jul 26 2003 said:
Well why would u wanna make a game on the gp32?

all games made for the gp32 are made on the pc so why bother making it for the gp32? the layer for ZZT on the gp32 so u can play games made by zzt is a good idea.

What is zzt its not a language is it?

:ph34r:
ZZT is an ASCII-character based game engine.

Actually, come to think of it - ZZT would run without needing to be ported if the GP32 had an x86 emulator.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZZT...interesting. I personally spent too much time on a clone of ZZT called "Megazeux" (or MZX for short). It had more graphical and coding options.

All of the ZZT ports I know about would be easily converted to the GP32 within hardware considerations, except one (only 6 buttons). Source code for MZX may be floating around somewhere, as the author has since abandoned it.

Back