Idea regarding the new 3D engine...

GP32 Kirby

Website
Visit site
I've taken a look at the shots of the new 3D engine that ThunderZ's been workin on and saw the video, and I'm really impressed by it. Since it's just a 3D engine and not a proper game, my idea for this would be to develop some sort of "Design your own 3D game" utility that can be used on your computer, so you can create your own custom levels, textures, in-game engine properties etc. and then export your work as a special .fxe file (containing all the created data/textures/models and the 3D engine to execute them)

So whadaya think? From the looks of the screens and videos I'd say you could make your own custom first person adventures or shooters with the engine, but what about different genres? Imagine seeing Mario 64 clones being developed for the GP32! :D ..Oh yeah, they should be called Mario 32 in that case.. ;)

Either way, keep up the great work 'Z! :D :D :D

thats a brilliant idea as people who lack the programming skills but are great at making low poly 3d models could make some seriously impressive stuff. Just imagine quake running in a lovely way or even quake 2 which is horrible ultimate ;) would be great 2 show off 2 n-gage owners/ gba owners who are getting some pretty slick looking games recently

well, tools are needed anyway, at least some kind of map editor and import/export tools, creating own content should be easy, if the engine is free for everyone...

If it is a port of the CUBE engine (which I believe it is), there will be tools available to create maps for that, so hopefully they will work for the gp32 version

actually, the original PC version of Cube has an edit mode where you edit the map from a first person view in realtime. i don't know of any external editors. but i asked ThunderZ, and he said the maps in his engine are hardcoded in C, no realtime edit mode as in the original. i'm sure there will be some sort of editor sooner or later.

I can make low and high polygon models, getting pretty damn good at it too. I would like to make a game for gp32 but I don't have the time or programming skills. At least the port of this new engine eliminates one obstacle. Either way it's a good idea and a great step to bringing more games to the community. I'm looking forward to it. :)

A custom level editor made specifically for gp32 would be nice, or even an editor that you can use on your gp32! Maybe i'm thinking too far ahead. ;)

wow that yeti3d engine looks great! considering it was programmed for the gba dont you think maby a port to the gp32 would look even better. especially since it has more power then the puny gba.

Maby we can get the author of that engine to help out thunderZ and make a awesome engine. quite possibly one that will be able to run quake or quakeII!. :D

firepika posted on Oct 21 2003 at 02:19 AM said:
Maby we can get the author of that engine to help out thunderZ and make a awesome engine. quite possibly one that will be able to run quake or quakeII!. :D
If the Engine is out (=Public) you can always convert/rebuild the Quake levels, Ask a nice coder to make a menu for you and you've got quake :p

Last edited by a moderator:
firepika posted on Oct 21 2003 at 01:19 AM said:
wow that yeti3d engine looks great! considering it was programmed for the gba dont you think maby a port to the gp32 would look even better. especially since it has more power then the puny gba.

um, it seems you didn't get it or something. again, ThunderZ's engine is a port of Yeti3D

Dozer posted on Oct 21 2003 at 09:02 PM said:
oh so the gameboy advance can run all this as well?! Does the gba version just run really slow or can the gp go even better than this?
From what I've seen, chances are the GP32 port of the engine on GBA is faster, smoother and at higher resolution display. :) Check out the video at GP32 News in the news archives, and compare it's speed and resolution with those screenshots on the Yeti3d page (link mentioned earlier in this thread...)

Back