Zsnes

Spandangle

Still Fresh
why was snes9x chosen over zsnes to be ported to the pandora?
i find zsnes to be far superior to snes9x

if there is something im not considering please inform me

I think Zsnes has a lot of x86 asm in it.

The current Pandora SNES emu will be much improved by adding the ASM CPU core from the GP32/GP2X/Wiz builds, although that said, it's already full speed now with the C core, which is pretty amazing - But more optimisation means lower CPU clock which is always nice.

This is why:

ZSNES is a free SNES emulator written mostly in x86 assembly with official ports for Linux, MS-DOS, Mac, and Windows.

EDIT: Ninja'd by craigix! :ph34r:

bwg2021 said:

Because zsnes is completely in x86 Assembly.

Last edited by a moderator:
mcobit said:
bwg2021 said:

Because zsnes is completely in x86 Assembly.

Call me daft but is there not a way to convert x86 ASM to ARM ASM? Surely there must be equivilent instructions, so therefore it could be a one-off job?
There must be something I'm missing as it can't be that simple.
Isn't this what an emulator does (but in realtime)?

Please don't flame me on this, I'm feeling very fragile at the moment.

Miner49er said:
Call me daft but is there not a way to convert x86 ASM to ARM ASM? Surely there must be equivilent instructions, so therefore it could be a one-off job?
There must be something I'm missing as it can't be that simple.

Please don't flame me on this, I'm feeling very fragile at the moment.

It's been a long time since I touched any assembler so I wont put my head on it, but I would say it is RISC vs CISC, two different processor architectures.
With CISC (mainly PC) you have deditacet registers and complex instruction set, with RISC (ARM in Pandora, Amiga, PowerPC..) you have many all purpose registers and a reduced instruction set. There too are pretty far from each other, I bet a convertor would be rather difficult to make, but then again, dynamic recompilers are even further beyond my comprehension and they do exist ;)

/me pokes the fragile Miner :lol:

Miner49er said:
It could be done, theoretically. I don't know of an existing compiler that would do it.

Miner49er said:
It's what a recompiler does, yes.

There likely will be several things going on..

- likely PocketSNES will get ported (which has quite a bit of ASM in it)
- probably the ASM CPU core from PocketSNES will get added as an option to Snes9x4d4p
- and likely optimizations to snes9x4d4p

Snes9x4d4p is only about a week or two old, so its still pretty young (as a pandora port, its been an ongoing project for dingoo for some time.)

But expect lots of good SNES action :)

jeff

Back