Questions About Pandora

link222

Still Fresh
Hi, (sorry for my english, I speak french)

I'm thinking about buying a Pandora and I'd like to know if you can install linux application that has not been ported on Pandora like ZSNES 1.51 ?

Thanks

link222 said:

I'm thinking about buying a Pandora and I'd like to know if you can install linux application that has not been ported on Pandora like ZNES 1.51 ?

Thanks

Intel Linux apps won't run without a recompile. Likewise OpenGL programs won't run without being ported to OpenGL-ES.

Last edited by a moderator:
link222 said:

I'm thinking about buying a Pandora and I'd like to know if you can install linux application that has not been ported on Pandora like ZNES 1.51 ?

Thanks

In general, the answer is yes. For ZSNES, no.

It depends on the language and libraries used. ZSNES specifically is written in x86 assembly, which can only run on x86 processors, which is not what the Pandora has. There are compilers written for almost every other language.

Some applications use OpenGL, whereas the graphics chip on the Pandora supports a subset called OpenGL ES. These, if the source is available, could probably be altered to run properly.

Many, many, many applications could run on the Pandora without alteration. In order for it to be done without any hiccups, you'd just need to wrap it in a PND file, which essentially tells the program what it needs to run from an sd card.

Line O said:
paulguy said:
"zsnes (btw im too stupid to learn the name of the emulator)" :p
Charming.
He's to dumb to be charming. If he cant behave he should shut up, the place is going to be crawling with noobs asking questions, and getting names wrong now that the Panda finally is in the happy new owners hands.
B!

Mr B said:
the place is going to be crawling with noobs asking questions, and getting names wrong now that the Panda finally is in the happy new owners hands.
B!
Pandora.

:D jokes. I agree with the sentiment, we don't need newbie flaming here.

maplesugarlover said:
Are there any noticeable differences between snes9x and bsnes ?, besides bsnes running slower.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but the big deal about snes9x is that it's easier to port to other platforms than the other snes emulators out there. I've never heard of bsnes, so can't say what the pros and cons of that are.

Mofokubik said:
maplesugarlover said:
Are there any noticeable differences between snes9x and bsnes ?, besides bsnes running slower.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but the big deal about snes9x is that it's easier to port to other platforms than the other snes emulators out there. I've never heard of bsnes, so can't say what the pros and cons of that are.
http://byuu.org/bsnes/ Bsnes runs every super nintendo game (except 3 obscure ones, I think) Flawlessly. The author strives for acuracy over speed , so it runs slow. If I play super mario world 2 on my 2ghz core 2 duo laptop , the frame rate drops during intense scenes and on the start screen.

Back