Zsnes Is Better Than Snes9X

rsuryase

I noticed ZSNES performs better and is more compatible than Snes9x. Unfortunately, according to wikipedia, ZSNES is written in low-level language so there is no possibility of porting to handhelds.

A lot of games cannot be played on Snes9x, so does this mean it'll never be playable on it's ports too? Pocketsnes and others are based on Snes9x. These games are not playable.

Treasures of the Rudra
Super Fire Pro Wrestling X
Clock Tower

They won't be playable on a straight port, seeing as it's the same emulation code. I'm not sure what the issues are with those particular games, but in theory someone could either fix whatever needs fixing to get them to work or find a workaround of some kind, so I wouldn't say never :)

Pocketsnes is fantastic, and I don't think 3 games not working realy justifies a full port.

ZSNES isn't more compatible than SNES9x... the PocketSNES ports are branched off of pretty ancient SNES9x code and has gone through tons of modifications that pretty vastly separate it from original SNES9x.

What is the point of this thread?

Exophase said:
ZSNES isn't more compatible than SNES9x... the PocketSNES ports are branched off of pretty ancient SNES9x code and has gone through tons of modifications that pretty vastly separate it from original SNES9x.
Actually it is, games not playable on Snes9x are playable on Zsnes, like the games I mentioned. The sound is better too on Zsnes on some games. Even with the modifications, games not playable on Snes9x are still not playable on Pocketsnes.

Back in the day, people prefer Zsnes over Snes9x too.

Exophase said:
What is the point of this thread?

Just wanting to point out which games are not playable, there's more of course. Hoping for a miracle, so someone can rewrite ZSNES and port it because it is a better emulator than Snes9x.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my limited experience, on PC, snes9x functioned better with less glitches than zsnes, and was superior due to the vast amount of options for video and sound processing too.

From Zophar's Domain, "This [Snes9x] is now one of the best SNES emulators around, and it stands only second to ZSNES in terms of compatibility." http://www.zophar.net/snes.html
The reviews favor Zsnes too.

Pocketsnes seems to be based on Snes9x 1.42 because the saves state are compatible with one another. Snes9x 1.52 save states is different and almost triple in size which will make it harder for hacking but compatibility has improved a lot. Maybe someone may want to port Snes9x 1.52 to Wiz.

Snes9x recently had an update but Zsnes hadn't seen an update for 2 years though development is said to continue.

There are 2 newer Snes emus with great promise, Bsnes and SnesGT (no updates for 2 years). I wonder if they have been ported to other devices. Probably requires to much CPU power to be ported.

The listings on zophar.net are for the most part very out of date. ZSNES hasn't been updated in years, and the last version actually removed some per-game hacks, worsening compatibility. SNES9x was updated recently and has been increasing substantially in accuracy. It's also using the same bit-perfect audio emulation as is present in BSNES, but the audio emulation has been known to be superior to ZSNES's for years. There's just no way that ZSNES is competitive compatibility-wise right now.

BSNES has very high accuracy and compatibility, but is too slow for handhelds and probably won't be any better for years. Even mainline SNES9x is too slow. You could talk about ZSNES being "ported" to other platforms, but since it derives so much performance from its x86 ASM technique it's hard to say if it'd even perform similarly after being rewritten with "similar" ARM ASM.

Back