Loading Os9xgp Savestates On My Pc...

Babymech

Still Fresh
I've got a small problem here, and I couldn't find anything about it on the boards, but I'm hoping someone will know - namely, how do you transfer and load savestates that you've created with Open Snes9x GP on your GP32 to your PC? Now that the sun's finally showing around here, I don't bring the GP32 with me as I did much as during winter - no more poublic transportation, thank god - but I'd still like to keep on with my Dragon's Quest 5 game at home, and I feel silly playing it on my handheld when I could be using my actual computer.

On the GP32, as most of you know, the savestates are in .ZA0 - .ZA9 format. Zsnes accepts .zs0 files and Snes9x seems to accept them in most formats. However, if I import my savestates over from the GP32, it doesn't matter what I do - even if I rename them, Zsnes refuses to recognize their existence, and Snes9x tells me that "Freeze File is not Snes9x Format" no matter what they're called. I've also imported over the .srm file that's grouped with the states, but I can't figure out anything to do with that.

Is it possible to load savestates from the GP32 on one's PC, and if so - how? Which emulator should I use, and is there some kind of conversion process I need to go through? Since it's supposedly possible to do it in reverse (play Zsnes states with os9xgp32) I figure this has to be possible as well, somehow.

What I would do, is open up the latest source (0.2) for OS9x and see how it stores the save state. And since OS9x loads other savestate formats from other emulators, simply look how they load those, and find the differences. The same data should be there, it might just be organized a bit different. Its just a RAM dump with a header file, you might be able to write a simple file loader / saver to convert the formats. It might be as simple as a modified header. If its just a modified header, you might even be able to use a hex editor to fix that up.

That is probably exactly what I'd do, if I were a genius, after which I'd go on to do away with air pollution and then I'd save the whales. Also, if I knew something about coding. So thanks, that's probably good advice, but I was hoping there was a way of doing this that wasn't in any way complicated or technical. Still hoping...

I am busy with like four projects at the moment, I dont even have time to play my GP32 let alone start another project, no matter how small it may be.

But for anyone who wants to take a gander, and maybe have a go at it yourself, here is a bit of info (mainly a function list) that may help you locate what you need.

(all of these are run via the function S9xUnfreezeGame)

The primary READ functions are:
ReadOrigSnapshot (normal Snes9x format)
Unfreeze (OS9x format)
S9xUnfreezeZSNES (ZSNES format)

and the save snapshot function is Freeze

All of these are/can be found in: SNAPSHOT.CPP and snaporig.cpp of the OS9x source code.

Akuma no Houkon, if you don't even have enough time to play your GP32, how come you are posting on GP32x so much? Like, since last month I have noticed you in almost every single post that has been made. :huh:

RockOut posted on Apr 12 2004 at 09:18 PM said:
Akuma no Houkon, if you don't even have enough time to play your GP32, how come you are posting on GP32x so much? Like, since last month I have noticed you in almost every single post that has been made. :huh:

Well like everyone, I do take breaks, coding constantly just gets one edgy. So I use the forums as a quick minute or two get away from programing. Obviously during this short break from coding, the last thing I want to do is code :)

And, well, there are not many games available that are fun for a one or two minute go.

And my longer breaks are usually taken up by actual life, family, videogames, books, or magic (real not that online crap).

Another project, not matter how small, is not something I want to do, I already have four game projects in the works (one 99.9% compelete, the others about %25...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back