Release Zoom - a Zmachine interpreter

Awesome, very nice to have a new IF runner on the repo. We had a port of frotz and one of gargoyle, but neither has been updated for seven years now, and frotz apparently always needed patching before it would actually run.

It's traditional here to link the repo link in the OP, which in this case is http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=sm0kew0n002

Also, has anyone got this running on an actual Pandora yet? The screenshots on the repo seem to come from other systems, judging by the window furniture and more critically, the aspect ratio. I'd try it myself, but my Pandora is for now out of action unfortunately.

I do like the look of it though. Its cleanness reminds me of zip2000 on my RiscPC which is where I first experienced IF on a modern-ish system.

I've updated the preview with a pandora screenshot. Noted on the repo link, thanks. I've had it running on a pandora, does that count? ;)

What's the best IF you ever played?

For me, hands down, was Meretzky's "A Mind Forever Voyaging". It is art. Pls don't spoiler it. It's as if Ray Bradbury or Heinlein wrote interactive fiction. In fact i think he won some Sci-Fi awards for it. "A Mind Forever Voyaging remains today as a major milestone in interactive fiction-- a game that transcends its "game"-ness and becomes a truly captivating interactive novel."

[EDIT] On the other hand, its impact to anyone playing for the first time today probably wouldn't be nearly as great as it was in 1985. We are now used to games written with far more than 256kB to work with - with deeper plots and more extensive descriptions. But AMFV - no question - pushed the boundaries of the form, and did so brilliantly, while being unabashedly 'socially concerned.'

Last edited:
Hi all :)

I hope you'll find this piece of news interesting:

And also that one: https://github.com/MITDDC/zork

Cheers, Magic Sam

Hi again !

Just started a new game at multizork.icculus.org :)

Feel free to join ! The name is:

jvT2gT

I'm looking forward to playing this game with my fellow Pandorians and Pyrates !

Cheers, Magic Sam

• Love
Reactions: rSl
Back