Your Holy gaming Grail for Pandora 2..?

all we need is a FPGA that can be configured as a modern PPC chip

with that, and the wii/xbox/etc firmware...

...your pandora will cost a fortune, weigh a tone, and draw a kilowatt

Last edited by a moderator:
I read somewhere that Steam is coming to Linux... so if you buy the Pandora 2 for gaming a PS2 emulator is not a must :)

Using x86 might be feasible in a few years time, at the cost of battery life...

..we could run Windoes! :lol:

x86 processors are terrible for handheld devices not just because of battery life, but also because they heat up. A fan is an absolute must for x86 processors. I doubt it could be made to fit into your pocket with that requirement.

x86 processors are terrible for handheld devices not just because of battery life, but also because they heat up. A fan is an absolute must for x86 processors. I doubt it could be made to fit into your pocket with that requirement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom_%28system_on_chip%29

I wasn't referring to the latest i7 ;)

all we need is a FPGA that can be configured as a modern PPC chip

with that, and the wii/xbox/etc firmware...

...your pandora will cost a fortune, weigh a tone, and draw a kilowatt

Would help if any FPGA in the world were close to big enough or fast enough to emulate such systems..

That's why it would cost a fortune - you have to pay for development of the chip too - which will take many years, even on a large budget ;)

I've already said the Pandora2, if it happens, will retain the exact same functionality of the P1, ie Keyboard, nubs, dpad etc.
You're on a good roll there - a few more to validate?

Dual full size SDXC card slots? Capable of 100MB/sec reads and 20MB/sec writes?

Audiophile headphone audio output?

Four (2 each side) shoulder buttons? (Please do as gel cap style buttons like on the main keypad.)

Updated Wifi? (802.11bgn)

GPS? (If we're going to have Android as an OS, this would be a +++.)

tilt/accel sensors? (again - to use Android fully)

Of course. If multiple OSes run mostly flawlessly, I'd see no reason to NOT let anyone know they can do that.

I also want to add Debian, Slackware, ArchLinux, etc. onto the official Pandora homepage as easy-to-use images :)
All good things - if someone wants to build all of the flavors and maintain the repositories, please throw Linux Mint KDE on the stack too? It has recently become my favorite distribution. I rabidly dislike Gnome 3 and Unity interfaces.

That depends on the size of the NAND and the status of the OS.
Suggestion: Skip the NAND and include a cheap 4GB SDHC card as the OS boot in a 3rd SDXC card slot behind the battery. Depending on NAND prices and card/slot prices, it may be cheaper than the NAND.

Make alll 3 slots capable of 100MB/sec reads and 20MB/sec writes - i.e. a bit faster than the fastest current cards. The end user can then upgrade the internal 'hard drive' in both size and speed, have a swap partition, update the OS directly, etc... The flexibility is huge - and user replaceable/upgrade capable to boot.

please throw Linux Mint KDE on the stack too? It has recently become my favorite distribution.

You do know KDE works on distros other than Mint KDE, right? ;)

GNU/Linux Mint used to be my favorite distro, but then it switched to Trisquel a couple days ago. I like that it's completely free, nothing proprietary at all, and yet I don't get the sense that I'm missing much (i.e. the OS itself is very great, the only downside is I don't get certain features depending on nonfree drivers and such, in my case WiFi and hardware acceleration). To make this post relevant to the discussion, I'm going to say that Trisquel should be available for the Pandora 2, too. :p

I rabidly dislike Gnome 3 and Unity interfaces.

You should try Cinnamon. :) A welcome upgrade to GNOME Shell, in my opinion. It's one of the main options for GNU/Linux Mint 13.

please throw Linux Mint KDE on the stack too? It has recently become my favorite distribution.

You do know KDE works on distros other than Mint KDE, right? ;)

You should try Cinnamon. :) A welcome upgrade to GNOME Shell, in my opinion. It's one of the main options for GNU/Linux Mint 13.

This is a bit of a hijack/side course for the thread - sorry.

I did try Cinnamon. It has the exact same downfall as Gnome 3 and Unity - though Unity is way worse.

My rule for Operating systems:

The OS should never ever take user interface (keyboard/mouse) priority over the foreground running application.

I.e. the F1-F12 keys and alt/ctrl/shift permutations of them belong to the running foreground application.

The only exceptions should be ctrl-esc and alt-ctrl-del.

Ubuntu 9.04 was perfect with this regard - the OS front end stayed out of the way. No conflicts - it let the application have control over function keys and combinations on the keyboard.

Unity - who dreamed this up? Not being able to find an application without knowing it's name beforehand or going through 6 layers of menus? Keyboard shortcuts that prevent the foreground application from functioning? No thanks.

Gnome 3 &/or Cinnamon. Good - until you try to run an application on it that uses function keys or alt/ctrl/shift permutations of function or normal keys. Hit your application's magic key combination and suddenly you're opening a browser, rebooting or writing a letter to Mom. Changing them? Many of the distros that use Gnome 3 and Cinnamon restrict even Root from getting to those functions, require downloading an additional configuration utility, hours of hassle - just to get the OS to let go of the keyboard shortcuts.

Mint KDE violates the F1-F12 and alt/ctrl/del combinations rule out of the box, but I could at least change it's behavior using tools present in the menus.

Finding Mint KDE was a breath of fresh air for me. It works right, customization (decustomization?) is easy. It handled my three monitors in portrait mode desktop. All's well.

The point is, we're all going to have our pet favorite distro. There is doubts around having -one- work perfect out of the box. To expect all of them to do so? Mmm.... aren't we getting a bit 'out there' on our requirements?

It -is- a dreamer's thread though - so go for it.

Ah, I see your point.

Well, considering Cinnamon is a fork of GNOME Shell (I think), it seems not surprising that it inherits some of GNOME Shell's problems. Hopefully that'll be fixed in the future. In any case, though desktop environments (DEs) like Cinnamon and KDE are not "distros", I agree, you should use whatever one you like best. :)

All of this android talk I just read through some 12/13 pages gave me a little headache. All I know is, what makes android so popular is google's millions of dollars supporting it. That's where it gets all its appeal from and everyone jumped on its bandwagon as they do for every other thing google acquires. Is that what we becoming now, bandwagon users? Anyway, whatever! I'll just wait and see the choices that are made to the OP2 and determine if they justify my needs. Remember the Nokia N810, the 4.13 inch internet tablet before there was any 4 inch plus smartphones? All it needed was updated specs with better data capabilities. Instead of continuing with their innovations that had made with the device, they jump on the 3.5" smartphone bandwagon with the n900 and lost a lot of customers. Now 4 inch plus tablet/smartphones are all the rage, everyone and their grand mothers got one but, all Samsung's products.

^ The Android bubble will probably burst soon though.

I don't know, maybe the fan following might diminish... I remember when I used to get excited about new windows releases... not fake excited, but saving my money waiting in line before the store opened for windows 98 and agian with xp ... waiting at our local computer shop money in hand. (Just to find out I needed to upgrade my memory) that I needed to go home and beg for money

But after a while it just became more of the same... but it still is useful and in my mind never superceded by anything other than a newer windows (queue Linux fan boys) but it became a standard and a tool rather than a new shiney thing to play with.

Me and all my android fanism is starting to fade... i dont feel the need to have the latest and greatest phone or version of android like i used to... I however don't expect to ever convert from android as a main mobile os... its just a tool though... it is the windows of mobile handhelds... you can disagree.. but look around... its everywhere its useful and it allows users to use their device as they see fit.

As I stuck it out with windows xp for over a decade, im not 100% sold on ics and I still run gingerbread on a couple of devices I own by choice

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Back