Your Holy gaming Grail for Pandora 2..?

Ultimately, direction is probably more up to ED; Craig is a reseller/partmer of Pandora now, not the manufacturer, right? Craig dictating things doesn't have the same weight as it did in the past...

jeff

Ultimately, direction is probably more up to ED; Craig is a reseller/partmer of Pandora now, not the manufacturer, right? Craig dictating things doesn't have the same weight as it did in the past...
That's what I thought as well, but---given the comments by Craig lately---I'm not entirely sure that Craig and ED agree on this.

jeff
I imagine that that arrangement is only in relation to the Current pandora and that craig will still be manufacturing the P2 though i presume ed will be more involved in the manufacturing process than previously.But who can say whats up their sleeves really.

I for one look forward to seeing Craig's vision. He usually has great ideas and he's crazy enough to see things through, and I salute this. My only fear is that he gets so focused on one ideal that the blinders go up and he lets many things pass him by without consideration, such as Linux support. Thankfully, if ED has even the slightest say in the marketing and construction of any future handheld, my fears are somewhat alleviated.

ED, can you comment on if you envision Pandora 2 coming pre-loaded with Android and Linux with dual boot capability? Possibly with a first-time-boot options informing the user and letting him/her choose a default?

That depends on the size of the NAND and the status of the OS.

As mentioned, I'm supporting Linux her (and I don't see how we could compete with an Android-Only device).

If anyone has a working Android port and the NAND is big enough, we might have Dualboot.

Otherwise, I'd like to offer two flashable images. It always depends on if we have devs for these OS though. I think it will be easier for me to find Linux devs ;)

Gaming controls out the box + Android = WIN!!!

Absolutely.

These new Socs come with Android fully working as standard, from opening the EVM, to plugging it in to 5 minutes later running Chrome, Angry birds and thousands of other apps it's all WIN.

Good luck even getting alternative drivers for obscure Linux builds these days, I can't see the SoC manufacturers even answering your emails - we barely got what we needed for the Pandora1 back when Android didn't even exist.
May i suggest modifing the version of android to fit the pandora as you please and then ship with 2 sd's one with the old angstrom/gamer ui and one with the android os?

I think an android compatibility layer would be good

The standard Android interface is completely unsuitable for the pandora in its current for.

(did I suggest putting a capacitive touchpad on the bottom of the P2 for operation with you middle fingers...?)

By the time I'm guessing a pandora 2 comes out the android kernel should have already been mainlined with the standard Linux one. They are pretty close as it is now. (3.3) And making significant progress from the last time I checked. They are phasing out stuff and dedicating maintainers for stuff they are leaving in.

If all goes according to plan I think porting and building drivers for either os will build upon each other and if one is built the other shouldn't be too far behind.

Forecasting about a year or two down the road.

http://elinux.org/An...nlining_Project

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:
I see no problem with a dualboot OS. Android would be a nice fit of the "mass market" side, opening us to larger market.

The linux desktop would offer us all the benefits.

Obviously, this requires people to actually work on the base OS/android OS.

I don't see a problem...

On (the old, forgotten) topic:

Noctis running at > 20fps under QEMU. And Half Life running at > 10FPS on the same. Oh, and why do all the topics about Pandora 2 suggest a 5" screen? There's 6" of space in that lid.

Too late ..?

It's a cheaper size to acquire. And, no it's never too late, because the Pandora 2 spam forums were designed or made purely for a bit of creativity and harmless fun. Anything goes, really.

It's a cheaper size to acquire. And, no it's never too late, because the Pandora 2 spam forums were designed or made purely for a bit of creativity and harmless fun. Anything goes, really.
Only with a tiny bevel...my money is still on a 5" 720pHD screen

By the way, has anyone here played Noctis before? Its here if not: http://anynowhere.com

Currently I'm getting about 1.5FPS @ 800MHz on QEMU so I'm not sure how likely my 'holy grail' is.

Only with a tiny bevel...my money is still on a 5" 720pHD screen

Coolios~ But...what I want (now) and I know it'll never...is a 6" OLED 1080p screen.

Feast your eyes on these beauties:

http://www.gosugadge...technology.html

The 6.1 inch 2560x1600 pixel resolution panels are crazy!

351.gif

Android would totally ruin the audio output of pandora.

This along puts me down. :unsure:

Full speed diablo 2 and starcraft would be sufficient, though wouldn't mind to have so decent saturn emulation.

None, really, other than the possibility of QEMU + user-mode WINE, for portable Jazz Jackrabbit 2 goodness. :p

Everything else I wanted, the first one can already do.

With you on that. My pandora does every retro game I've ever played and is introducing me to possibly thousands more. The only reason I would even be interested in a pandora II is the prospect of portable playstation2 emulation. not to mention the added processing power required to do that which would be very useful.

To contribute to the thread, The Incredible Hulk, Ultimate Destruction.

Back