GP2X Yeti3d (re)port

Lineus

Website
gfo.owns.it
Hey everybody, I just uploaded my (re)port of the Yeti3D engine to the archive, and I'm extremely happy with the speed I've been able to squeeze out of it.

You can get the file (sources + binary)here.

From the "notes" file:

== Lineus' Notes ==

I am now, what, the 5th generation maintainer of this code?
Anyways, I took synkr0's port and pretty much just tweaked a couple of things, like
the "keyboard" structure, remapped the controls, got rid of that annoying SDL cursor,
and added some SERIOUS optimizations -- It runs just fine at over full speed with the
2x underclocked to 130 MHz on my setup at least. I even managed to shrink the
executable - I'm a whole 10kb under synkr0's file! The makefile I used is Makefile -
synkr0's has been renamed to Makefile-synkr0.

Controls are now:
Joystick - move
Start - exit
Y - look up
X - look down
A - fire
B - jump

Enjoy.

NOTE: exit does not call the menu to start again, so you'll have to either write a script
or use the wonderful gmenu2x's wrapper feature.

Next step - fix minor bugs and do a complete re-haul. This is gonna be fun.

KNOWN BUG: The top line of the screen isn't refreshed with all the others, but I havn't really spent too much time looking into it - it's on my to do list.

Any feedback/feature requests/bug reports/what-have-you are welcome.

CRITIQUE ME! j/k ;)

Yeah, so... shoot!

~Lineus

craigix said:
Is this the later version, ie the one with supports for curves etc. or the cube based one?

This is the older Cube type engine - the same one that synkr0 ported - I was unaware that there was a newer one that supported curves - do you have a link to the source?

Last edited by a moderator:
ThunderZ has it, it's on the GP32. However the person who made it vanished off the face of the earth never to be seen again, thus the status of the code is somewhat unknown, ie does the original author mind it being ported to the gp2x or not? etc.

See the GP32 demo of the full version, it's a very impressive quake2 like engine, weapons, health, even some monsters to shoot.

Unfortunately Yeti Pro was a commercial engine, but the creator, as previously mentioned, dropped off the face of the earth. Maybe try and get ahold of ThunderZ, see what he can tell ya

It's a shame. I might try to contact ThunderZ, but for the moment I'm gonna weed out the source of the "Yeti3D v2006" that I just found from fenixpack - Yeti and Fenix? This is madness! Might be something worth patching in though - it says it has "fast collision detection code" or something like that updated from the original.

are there any plans to make content for this or maybe an editor? cause while its great that the actual port is being greatly enhanced it won't have much benefit for gp2x users until we get some content.

not to sound ungrateful. I'm glad you're updating this

Good to see, that this code is not dead yet. Nobody ever cleaned and structured the yeti code so that other coders could use it as renderer for a game etc. Some source files are just in the "WTF is he doing here?" state. I would love to see that this (simple?) version of yeti finally gets in a usable state. Keep us posted!

Whoohaha, great! :D Superb port. What a speed, even underclocked, amazing! This engine has potential I think. Nice light effects. With this speed, maybe bilinear texture filtering and Z-correted Textures could be possible?

Oh, I don't know if this is just because of the Example Level or an Engine Problem in general, the "Sky" has no good parallax effect in the vertical direction so it doesn't really look like sky actualy. (Compared to Doom or Quake etc )

But with a little bit tuning here and there AND with an Editor for GP2X, this thing will rock. :) (I love to spend hours and hours in Editors, especially when I can edit in my bed. ;) )

Oh,

Controls are now:
Joystick - move
Start - exit
Y - look up
X - look down
A - fire
B - jump

...and later maybe L+R for strafe? ;)

W00t! 163 downloads!

are there any plans to make content for this or maybe an editor? cause while its great that the actual port is being greatly enhanced it won't have much benefit for gp2x users until we get some content.

not to sound ungrateful. I'm glad you're updating this

I plan to make a full fledged game out of this engine after I get it worked on... and since it seems to be the topic of the day, an editor is possible...

Good to see, that this code is not dead yet. Nobody ever cleaned and structured the yeti code so that other coders could use it as renderer for a game etc. Some source files are just in the "WTF is he doing here?" state. I would love to see that this (simple?) version of yeti finally gets in a usable state. Keep us posted!

Yay! synkro isn't dead! Glad to take on the reins of your port and I will keep you posted.

With this speed, maybe bilinear texture filtering and Z-correted Textures could be possible?

Not in this lifetime, at least not from me...

the "Sky" has no good parallax effect in the vertical direction so it doesn't really look like sky actualy. (Compared to Doom or Quake etc )

Ths sky is actually just another texture, but the movement can be changed...

...and later maybe L+R for strafe? ;)

I was thinking the same thing myself. Actually, yesterday I was able to "re-enable" the crawl feature - update soon...

~Lineus

Nice. :) The Best would be a Button-Config per option Menu, sometime when things gets more matured. I would like to test a config, where you look around with the stick and walk with the X and Y Buttons. ^^

Oh, I don't know that much about this Version of Engine. What can it do? Slopes, 2D/3D Level Decorations, Elevators, Doors etc...?

fusion_power said:
Nice. :) The Best would be a Button-Config per option Menu, sometime when things gets more matured. I would like to test a config, where you look around with the stick and walk with the X and Y Buttons. ^^

Oh, I don't know that much about this Version of Engine. What can it do? Slopes, 2D/3D Level Decorations, Elevators, Doors etc...?
The first idea was also kicking around in my head (stop reading my mind, guys!) Also, before anyone mentions, touchscreen support for looking, kinda like in Metroid Prime Hunters for the DS would be cool, but I don't have an F-200... I can code it and have you guys test it though (not for a while though)

Turns out that the v2006 engine wasn't in the fenixpack I got... to be honest, I don't know if it ever existed or not... BUT, through google, I gound a VERY old thread on these forums by Blah... there were links to a newer version of the GPL'ed engine by rtb7/thor called ADIC2k4 which has some better texture support and support for MD2's as animations. Also, looking around the archive, I found a nice gp32 tech demo by Orion_ that uses Yeti3D (it's called Tech32... found here) that appearently has MD2 Render code... could be VERY useful...

With finds like these, who needs Yeti3D pro? Not to say I still wouldn't like to have the code... But that's on my to do list.

Yay! Time to experiment!

It runs great at 130MHz and it looks brilliant, very nice job!

I look forward to the game you plan to make with it :)

according to the cube engine page the relationship between cube and yeti3d is that yeti3d is: "a GBA engine inspired on cube engine algorithms". Meaning no real source code shared just inspired by cube's way of rendering.

hopefully we'll get that on gp2x level editor. One of the cool features of cube was always the on the fly level editing.

jbrodack said:
hopefully we'll get that on gp2x level editor. One of the cool features of cube was always the on the fly level editing.
Especially in "Sauerbraten" :D This editor really rocks. I'm sure, the Pandora will have no problems with a Sauerbraten Port, including the Edit-Function. ^^

Back