Yet Another Joystick Mod - Part 2

Shane posted on Dec 28 2005 at 03:39 AM said:
I've heard the deadzone problem can be fixed by loosening the screws to the GP2X motherboard and shifting the mobo ever so slightly.

Someone in this forum said it.

Not really. All that will do is help if you are having trouble hitting a certain direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does that mod help reduce the diagonal problem by any chance?

I mean, if it's easier to move the thumbstick, it may be easier to hit the direction you're trying to hit, instead of accidently hitting a diagonal.

woah thats cool. I was thinking of doing a more radical/stupid mod, making the joystick a small usb storage thing.

Michael posted on Dec 29 2005 at 09:56 AM said:
woah thats cool. I was thinking of doing a more radical/stupid mod, making the joystick a small usb storage thing.

Nerd joke alert

Just use a Thumb drive.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

btw, is there already a fix for the problem of the color-changing area, if you push the stick too hard?
is it enough to just loosen the screws a bit?

btt: very nice stick. i'm so looking for a (reproducable) solution for my stick.

0-bake posted on Dec 29 2005 at 02:54 PM said:
btw, is there already a fix for the problem of the color-changing area, if you push the stick too hard?
is it enough to just loosen the screws a bit?

btt: very nice stick. i'm so looking for a (reproducable) solution for my stick.

Yes, do a forum search, the main CPU has *THREE* rubber pads on it, removing the top one cures it from pressing into the back of the screen and making a spot.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 30 2005 at 02:29 AM said:
ok DaveC it's Unanimous. I say make like 20 of em, and make a thread. First 20 get one for whatever price you name :0

It will take some time to do. Also it doesn't solve all of the joystick problems. It helps some. I don't want to make it sound like it is some kind of magic bullet. I was thinking if I have time I could make a few and they would probably be around $10 USD. I was also thinking that I would give some out for free to the L337 devs that want them. Devs that have made some of the top emus that I use such as Reesy, Franxis, Rlyeh, Skeezix etc could get one. Kind of a small donation. But it all depends on having the time to do it so we will see.

I have experimented with making different types. I tried convex with rings, flat with rings, and this slightly dished with rings. The dished seems to work best for grip.

The stick still needs work with dead zones. You can only put so much perfume on a pig. I have ordered the actual joystick assembly used in the GP2X from a parts supplier. It is taking FOREVER because everyone seems to be out. When I get it I will see if there is a way to mod the actual switches to narrow the dead zone some. I will post how if modding is possible. Then with the smaller dead zone and my cap, the joystick should be fine.

TelcoLou posted on Dec 28 2005 at 03:05 AM said:
"durable Nylatron GS"

Sounds like an advert ;)

Very nice mod.

Yes an advert. Durable nylatron GS, low sodium, no cholesterol, less filling, buy it now :p

DJWillis posted on Dec 30 2005 at 05:56 AM said:
DaveC,

Looks like a good mod, add a few coats of the liquid rubber stuff to improve grip and I think you have a very good replacement on your hands :D.
I just ordered some. Cant wait to try it out :D

It looks like the edges are really sharp.

And I personally have no problem with the original joystick. I dont see how anyones thumb can slup unless uou have strangely sweaty thumbs

chris_r posted on Dec 30 2005 at 12:14 PM said:
It looks like the edges are really sharp.

And I personally have no problem with the original joystick.  I dont see how anyones thumb can slup unless uou have strangely sweaty thumbs
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On the subject of the original joystick:

You are right on one thing, once I dig the sharp corner opposite the direction I want to go into my thumb, grip is not an issue.

But I still have to slide my thumb all the way from the left side sharp edge to the right side sharp edge to change direction.

Some people have a little thing called a callous from doing manual labor with their hands, I personally am taking an automotive technology course and have quite a callous built-up, nothing like the one I had working in the automotive field, but still.

A callous makes your thumb harder and more slippery, if you have a gooey hand (like people who still bite their fingernails or suck their thumb, getting saliva all over it like some members of my family) then I guess your hand might be able to grip the stick, the rest of us, however, still have trouble.

DaveC posted on Dec 30 2005 at 09:09 AM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 30 2005 at 02:29 AM said:
ok DaveC it's Unanimous. I say make like 20 of em, and make a thread. First 20 get one for whatever price you name :0

It will take some time to do. Also it doesn't solve all of the joystick problems. It helps some. I don't want to make it sound like it is some kind of magic bullet. I was thinking if I have time I could make a few and they would probably be around $10 USD. I was also thinking that I would give some out for free to the L337 devs that want them. Devs that have made some of the top emus that I use such as Reesy, Franxis, Rlyeh, Skeezix etc could get one. Kind of a small donation. But it all depends on having the time to do it so we will see.

I have experimented with making different types. I tried convex with rings, flat with rings, and this slightly dished with rings. The dished seems to work best for grip.

The stick still needs work with dead zones. You can only put so much perfume on a pig. I have ordered the actual joystick assembly used in the GP2X from a parts supplier. It is taking FOREVER because everyone seems to be out. When I get it I will see if there is a way to mod the actual switches to narrow the dead zone some. I will post how if modding is possible. Then with the smaller dead zone and my cap, the joystick should be fine.
Any luck in getting the joystick assembly yet? I'm really curious to know how the stick looks like inside its metal casing. The dead zone/long throw of the stick is driving me crazy!

I was looking at the stick specifications and the throw angle seem to be 12 degrees in any direction. If you could lower that to say 8 degrees I think it would be much better.

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to modify the stick shaft rather than moving the switches? Maybe if you could make the shaft thicker around the place where it hits the switches then the angle would decrease.
stick5kx.jpg

I also noticed that the joystick only has a life time of 100 000 cycles so we better use it carefully :(

I was looking at the stick specifications and the throw angle seem to be 12 degrees in any direction. If you could lower that to say 8 degrees I think it would be much better.

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to modify the stick shaft rather than moving the switches? Maybe if you could make the shaft thicker around the place where it hits the switches then the angle would decrease.
stick5kx.jpg

I believe I mentioned this a couple months ago, I was planning on using some kind of shrink tubing or something.

Thanx for the cool picture though :D

Back