Yet Another Cradle Question

erich

Still Fresh
OK, I've been reading through the forum looking at Q/A regarding the cradle/tv/usb/power stuff.

Maybe someone can help me with a concise answer once and for all...

From what I gather, the Cradle seems to be powered by the GP2X (which I have the F-200, not sure if it matters gp32_console ). You only need to add power to the cradle for HDD. Right?

Ok, so I would obviously want to get a power cable for my GP2X since the batteries don't last a super long time. Right?

Also, there is a USB port on the GP2X, but it's not a port which I can plug a joystick or two into. So this is a reason to get the Cradle, for a USB hub, right? Then I'll be able to run a pair of game pads off of it? And hard drives, etc.

There is an EXT to TV/audio cable, but this is used exclusive of the Cradle, right? I am going to want a normal A/V cable to run to my TV. Right?

So, if I want to be able to play my GP2X like a console system with gamepads and tv/stereo out, I would do well to get the cradle, a power supply for the GP2X itself, and some A/V cables. If I want to hook up a disk drive, I need another - second, but reverse polarity - power pack for the console.

Is this correct? Help me understand please, if not.

Thanks!

Yes it is powered by the gp2x, so a power cable is a good idea.
Not sure about the power for the gp2x is power for the HDD one, but you can buy some HDD's that have power cords for external power.
There is no USB port on the GP2X, so you need a cradle for any joysticks. So yes, the cradle has four USB ports to plug the listed in.
There is a cable to connect only your GP2X to the TV, but you need an S-video cord for the cradle. Which you need to buy seperately.
Seems you have the right idea in what to buy.

I e-mailed GP2XSTORE.COM and they told me that there was still a compatibility issue with the F200. I would wait until that's resolved to buy the cradle.

I got the cradle with the F200 but haven't' tested it yet.

To give you more info about your questions:

GP2X doesn't exactly "power" the craddle. Let's see:

-You have a USB "out" port on the side of the GP2X. On the F200, this is only to access the card reader.

-You have a USB "in" chip inside the GP2X. From the outside, it needs to be accessed through the GP2X's bottom connector.
(There are mods that let you build your own USB cable, or even affix a USB "in" port to the GP2X with some serious moding.)

- The USB "in" is what you use to plug in external devices such as joysticks. Given this, consider the craddle as a clunky "wire"... the cradle does not need power nor is it powered by the 2X, it's simply connectors for hardware that exists within the 2X (which is TV out and USB in).

- If you are plugging in a usb device that requires extra power (such as an unpowered ext HDD) you will need to buy a DIFFERENT PSU for the cradle itself. I *think* this would power the 2X itself (though the cradle) as well, but I haven't tested it.

- One word of caution: just because you can plug a joystick in doesn't mean the software you intent to use it with has joystick support! Someone correct me if I'm wrong but a USB joystick will NOT replace the onboard controls and some applications will not react to joystick events at all.

awarner said:
I e-mailed GP2XSTORE.COM and they told me that there was still a compatibility issue with the F200. I would wait until that's resolved to buy the cradle.
*grumble.

xcen, if you have an opportunity to test the cradle, would you post back? Somewhere someone emphatically stated that the power to the cradle doesn't power the gp2x. It would be great if the collective knowledge could be compiled in one place for we n00bs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back