Yamagi Quake 2 ..pak

Never tried that port of GLQuake before this, it's very impressive, had some good old school fragging sessions for myself this afternoon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Never tried that port of GLQuake before this, it's very impressive, had some good old school fragging sessions for myself this afternoon!
Glad I could recommend it to you and I am glad you enjoyed it ;)

I had tried Darkplaces before, but never managed to get it running properly, so this had been a good day indeed (am glad I went topic gravedigging now!) :)

glquake and quake2 pnds are updated. Give them a go and consider it a beta version. From my testing q2 mouse look didnt lock, it was slow and not on the correct side.

I could force a swap of the nubs and revert on shutdown. Opinions?

I've only tried the update of Quake 2 so far, it's fine back to bring very dark and I can't get it to brighten up. I remember there were issues around this before, can't recall what the workaround for it was though?

Oh and on playing using just the nubs, moving and aiming on the left nub is very awkward and aiming sensitivity is definitely a bit low. How do I find out what CPU speed it's running at? I've still a low of slowdown around explosions and hectic action(I'm using a 1 gig model Pandora)

glquake and quake2 pnds are updated. Give them a go and consider it a beta version. From my testing q2 mouse look didnt lock, it was slow and not on the correct side.

I could force a swap of the nubs and revert on shutdown. Opinions?
I am using the d-pad to navigate and A button to fire and I am as pleased as a tick on an old dog.

Definite improvement all around for me. I  just played this for about 20mins with no problems.

My opinion is leave it be. I had no hiccups whatsoever with this update...1gig @900mhz op4. 

Changing my repo score now  ;)

Last edited:
just tried the update again on my cc.  I had very little issue before except with the expansions, since I didn't have them but it tried to run  them and instead crashed in original quake 2 so I tried not to run the expansions again.  

Its great to see no more menu items in for expansions, (i would rather see them in pickle launcher anyway).

As for brightness I had to adjust LCD gamma to 'very bright' before going into game to make it playable (fo me at least.).

Thanks again pickle

Edit: Noticed nubs don't work well but I really only play with d-pad and buttons so I'm good.  I like look / aim now since its good for fine tuning shots but would be good for regular movement or shooting.  right nub is still set to joy buttons like fire should probably better being movement like d-pad.

I thought gamma worked in the previous versions, I took a look at the source and there are 2 options. One is X11 or SDL_SetGamma, currently SDL_SetGamma is used. I rememberd this version adds Eglport with raw frambuffer, so SDL_SetGamma would have no effect. I turned EGL/SDL mode back on and thought this would work again, but I didnt notice a change.

Maybe SDL_SetGamma is broke with the notaz SDL?

The other option i think may work is drawing a quad at the end to act like a gamma.

In the previous version (which I was playing again just recently for testing purposes), there was definitely some way of increasing the brightness in game, as I had definitely done so before, it may have only been changing the gamma values somehow? I tried several approaches today, but all i managed to do was somehow cause the game to load at 320*200 resolution (which I then changed). Game still seems to run a bit sluggishly, that's why I was wondering what CPU speed does it default to?

thought on cpu speed, I have an option in the launcher to set the clock speed, which I think was 700 Mhz for CC units. You can change this in the profile.txt and see you get better results.

I've already tried adding in another speed into that, then selecting that as default with the launcher, but it doesn't seem to change anything in game? I'll try again tomorrow when I get more time :)

I feel like I own a different device. :unsure: ..I thought it played much better than before.

and I started the thread......hmmm.  Well at least I am happy as a pig in slop.

No I don't own a solar powered Pandora. B)

Last edited:
FYI, bug

I tried setting this up new on SD and when I ran the screen is only showing in bottom left corner.  I then tried my other card to confirm it ran fine when I had the previous version first then overwrote with newer version first.

Then tested on my new SD by running old version first then copying new version overtop and running new version and it went fullscreen fine.

Edit:  Just noticed new version released.  Tested this one as new install and it is better at least it goes full screen (not small corner of XFCE desktop) just it only goes to 640 x 480.  Went in and changed in game then my screen went black and I had hard time exiting (didn't freeze as I could hear it running).  Once I got out and went back in it worked fine.

Quickly installed this before work this morning (cleared all previous settings first), and had the same issue as above with the game starting at 640x480 resolution, managed to change that to 800x480, then after restarting the game it seems to have fixed that issue. Game definitely seems to run a lot faster, so thanks for the hard work! Still would like to be able to make it a little brighter if that was possible? (apologies for being a pest!! :wacko:  )

I'm having a problem with both Quake ES and Yamagi... for some reason they no longer likes my PAK files. I'm going to try and copy them again from Steam and see if that fixes it.

Also does support the framebuffer-only drivers?

It runs for me, but with this most recent version it's gone from being dark (but playable) to pitch black.  I can hear the gun fire but I can't see the flash - I can't see anything.  There doesn't appear to be an option for gamma settings.

Do I need to erase a .cfg file or something?

Back