Yahtzee Gp2x V2.0

Guyfawkes

Certified Idiot :)
Website
www.emuholic.com
As mentioned last week I was planning to update one of my first GP2X games from when the GP2X was first released. It was originally a port of my GP32 game Yahtzee and due to the early development kit for the GP2X the port wasn't that great. So now the F-200 is out, touch screen is perfect for the game and although I do not own a F-200 I wanted an up to date version for myself and others to enjoy.
yahtzee-v2.png

The game has the following changes:

- Brand new layout and design for the game. Menus and in game look totally different and are much nicer and easier to read.
- F-200 Touch Screen and USB Mouse are now fully supported.
- Media player from Squares is now used so you can play your favourite MP3, OGG and (I think) MOD format music.
- Added SFX for the dice roll. I didnt put much SFX as you should be bangin' out your tunes :)
- Added animation for the dice roll.
- High Score table added.
- PDF user guide.
- Minor bug fixes.

Please read the user guide on how to set up the media player, by default it searches the /audio/ subfolder on your SD Card.

Donations are appreciated so if you like the game don't forget! This is my last software release for the GP2X as I will be probably moving onto something else in the new year, so thanks for playing my software and long live the GP2X! I hope you enjoy the new version, you can download it from the GP2X Archive here.

Guyfawkes said:
... This is my last software release for the GP2X as I will be probably moving onto something else in the new year, so thanks for playing my software and long live the GP2X!
Thanks for all your work and many thanks for your cool games. :)
Will you be developing for the Craiginator?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this port! I spent many hours playing with Yahtzee in my Linux box, so I'm realy pleased with this port.

Thanks!

MisterBrisby said:
Thanks for all your work and many thanks for your cool games. :)
Will you be developing for the Craiginator?
Not sure yet to be honest. At the moment probably not, as I do not have as much time as I used to and to be honest the majority of people here only care about emulators which is kinda proven with two replies for this release. I would rather spend my free coding time writing for a machine where emulators are not the priority, maybe something like the DS where there is a larger gaming audience, the JXD 301 may be an alternative but homebrew is not possible on it at the moment.

I will think about it more in the New Year when I start thinking up ideas for my next game. The craiginator does have some nice features which I cant talk about so it is tempting, but it depends on if there will be an interested gaming community and not just emulators as it has been with the GP2X.

Guyfawkes said:
which is kinda proven with two replies for this release.
Maybe it's because people don't know what Yahtzee is, I know I didn't until I looked it up on Wikipedia.

Hi Guyfawkes,

The low number of replies may be because not many people are into this game genre. I played it, and while it is very polished and looks great, I just can't get into it because I'm not into traditional games translated to video games. Consider the nice feedback you've got with Squares, Roundemup, and Deal or not Deal - there are a lot of people who care and enjoy your games, me included :) I'd like to see more of your games on the GP2X, but of course this is your decision.

It'd be nice though if all the people who complain about the lack of touchscreen games took some time to at least give you a shout <_<

PS: would a touchscreen Squares be out of the question? I imagine that would kick some serious ass :)

Great port.

I like the media player addition. being able to rock my own tunes whie playing is something I wish more devs would impliment in their software.

I definately apreciate the touch screen support too.. great job.

Guyfawkes said:
the majority of people here only care about emulators which is kinda proven with two replies for this release
Guyfawkes, you got more replies in Gp2xSpain, and I'm sure in the other communities out there as well. But Yahtzee is not a popular game for the kind of people that show up here: it is a board game to play in family, much worse, it is a dice game without bets from the fifties. These are the kind of games that this community is not used to and the lack of documentation does not help. Yes, there is a 15-pages manual, but it doesn't include the rules of the game.

Yahtzee is a wonderful and simple game to play with family, friends, twelve-years-old nephews and nieces and so. A port to the Gp2x means that you can play Yahtzee while traveling by bus or train, and that's wonderful. Although you can play alone, you really need a partner to beat.

Yahtzee is wonderful as a game. And a version for the Gp2x is really welcome.

Many thanks, Guyfawkes.

juanvvc - The manual has rules for the game on page 10 which were mostly copied from the wikipedia entry so it covers the game rules and how to play.

Alex. - Unfortunately no update to Squares. The game wasn't exactly designed for touch screen in mind, its not as simple as recompiling. Although mouse is already supported, with the touchscreen you can touch anywhere on the screen and the players square will jump to that position instead of moving there. It would involve some work implementing a dragging system instead of normal movement which I don't really have the time or motivation to do.

Guyfawkes said:
As mentioned last week I was planning to update one of my first GP2X games from when the GP2X was first released. It was originally a port of my GP32 game Yahtzee and due to the early development kit for the GP2X the port wasn't that great. So now the F-200 is out, touch screen is perfect for the game and although I do not own a F-200 I wanted an up to date version for myself and others to enjoy.
yahtzee-v2.png
I cannot wait to get this on my 2X card!! Unfortunately I left my GP2X at work in my locker so I will have to wait until tomorrow morning to try it out! Thanks a ton for working on this update and letting me test it early. You're the best! :D

Count me among those that *love* yahtzee. And relish handheld yahtzee as a nice simple game for plane trips and before bed - and this is a great example of the form. Of course I would get really excited by a little AI competition. I don't know why because it doesn't really affect your moves (except if may force a conservative/risky choice).

Just tossing it out there. Nice work as usual!

ETA: I love the homebrew! since most of my gp2x time is short bursts, the homebrew is perfect for that. Though I've had powermanga games that lasted like 40 minutes.

I'm liking this new version. You do quality homebrew releases just try not to get discouraged when a million people don't respond about your games. The audience for a lot of homebrew is just fairly small compared to emulators. Still there are definitely those that appreciate quality homebrew and I'm definitely one of them. I wish you would continue to make gp2x games but its your choice and I appreciate all your past games including this one.

Although I am supposed to be 'retired' from coding on GP2X I have itchy fingers to code something so I will make a small update for Yahtzee sometime this week. I got some feedback on the comments on GP2X Archive and they were too good to leave out.

First update is the D-Pad controls, you no longer have to keep pressing up or down to move, you can keep pressing the direction and it will move with a short delay. The second is that when changing between the score sheet and dice it will remember the previous position the cursor was at, it should speed up the navigation a bit.

If you have any minor suggestions please reply here and I will try and add them. CPU AI would be nice but would probably take a while to add so it wont make it in the game but any other small changes will be added to the list of possibilities.

I have an F100-M2, Firmware 2.1.0 and the standard SDL mouse cursor always stays in top-left corner for duration of the game (despite the pointer finger cursor working fine simultaneously).

I was enjoying the game the other day despite this.

Back