Yafl 0.2 Released

woogal

Certified Guru
Website
gp32.sector808.org
YAFL 0.2 is now available from http://gp32.sector808.org/yafl.php

New to this version is an interface change, theme support, SMC swapping (don't change cards while loading themes/graphics, launching files, or saving setting, but any other time should be fine), and something else ;). Pclink support should be coming soon (got bored rebooting to windoze just to test it), and maybe gxe launching (but don't get your hopes up, and please don't start asking when/if it will be done). I'll probably add font support to the themes too as people seem to like that kind of thing.

Backgrounds should be 8bit gif's using the standard gp32 palette, which means you can use all the wind-ups backgrounds available from http://www.gp32world.co.uk

this is sweeeet, really like what u've done here

one thing that would be pucker is a smc space meter on the info bar.

cheers woogal

next update... how about changing the font.... with the new easy converter its done a chore... preferably arial or tahoma

Yay... This is my file-laucher of choice... Can't wait to se whats been done.
Someone should really ad this to a bios

Well done :p
I haven't tried it yet but it looks like a really good WindUps replacement.
Any Change we might get GPDrive in the next version?

0.2.1 released

A slight bug crept into 0.2 where some .fxe's either wouldn't launch or did strange things once they were running (Tie Break Tennis was the one I was informed about, but I believe there were others). After a bit of a test I realised that this has something to do with messing with the clock speed before launching, and YAFL does a lot of messing :). I've replaced the zip with a new version containing the bugfix, so if you were having any problems try out the new version and hopefully things will be working as they were before.

Dolfhin: including GPDrive is something I thought about when I heard that Squidge was working on it. Once he gets it working with Linux I'll contact him and see if he's interested :)

Not sure if it works with linux now or not, but there is a new version available with more debugging info if you wish to test it :)

As for Yafl - nice job! New version seems to be mucho improved over the old one. I use it as my default boot-up application now - the "Unsorted" menu is specially useful as it means I can just throw new fxe's into gpmm and let Yafl tell me whats new on the next bootup.

Suggestion however - I now have a lot of files in my gpmm, and it can take several seconds for Yafl to show the first screen after loading - is there anyway of reducing this time (or at least providing some kind of progress indicator?)

Also, what compiler do you use for Yafl? I have GCC (DevKitAdv) and access to IAR & ARM ADS via work, so if you use any of those, it should be quite easy to integrate.

DemonStar55: I've made a slight modification to the .fxe. Try downloading the zip again and let me know if it solves your problem (same goes for anyone else who's had problems with themes).

Squidge: I'm looking into a way of speeding up the initial screen display, but I've got a feeling there's not much more I can do :(. The delay is more than likely due to SMC access speed 'cos I open each .fxe to extract the icon and file details. Even changing the clock speed won't help as that section is already clocked to 133 :). Looks like I may just have to add the progress indicator.

The compiler I use is GCC (the debian package version).

Or perhaps have the option to only load the icons for the page currently viewed the first time around? So if your last page was "misc" with just 4 programs in it, next reboot would only examine and load the icons from the 4 programs. When the page was changed, it would then load the icons for that page if not done before.

You could even multitask it :) Display everything with default icons to start of with, and then populate them whilst idle.

It seems that the themes have been screwed up in the new bug-fixed version (a lot colors are suddently black). My guess is that the color that is supposed to be transparent has now become black.

Anyway my greatest wish for future releases, are configurable categories.
- Actually its mostly because I really want to get rid of the "all"-catagory, but I would probably also remove a catagory like "demos" if that particulary SMC did'nt have any of those either.

I think the SMC-switching support kicks ass. Really never considered it as something that could be done.

Again... Great work

Ringo, try downloading the zip again. The version I uploaded earlier today should hopefully have fixed that problem (but you may have to load a new theme again for the fix to fully work). Configurable categories is on the todo list - maybe this weekend.

A few other apps support SMC swapping too. Try pacrom to see a nice picture of pacman, or either of the two mp3 players (I only have the new mp3 beta on one card, but often swap to my second card to play mp3's), but don't try gpcinema otherwise strange things start happening! There may well be others, but they're the only ones I've tried.

I'm messing around with the theme's (i'm trying to create my own Super Mario Theme :D) right now and it's really easy to do :D

Is the're any change we might see a todo list? I'm really looking forward to the new version of this :D

Currently on the todo list is this (in no particular order) -

Configurable categories
Add fonts to theme support
Quicklaunch
Theme designer
PC-Link support
GpDrive support
Search SMC for .fxe's (for people that prefer not to have them all in gpmm)
GXE launching (don't be suprised if this never happens)
.fpk installing (I've not looked into this yet so I don't know how feasable it is)

Feel free to suggest anything else you'd like to see :)

I'm really looking forward to the next version :D Keep up the good work someone should put this in a (multi)Firmware :D
The GPDrive support would be something that put this firmware miles above the other firmwares :p

How about a 'text only' display option? It would allow more files to be on the screen at once and should load faster. Maybe use L&R (together) to change display options. And bring back to ability to use L and R to skip forward/backward through pages, it was really useful! Stops you from having to go through other icons to get to another page.

Back