Xvid On The Gp32

Octavious

Programer Guru! ...in the making
Website
www.retroportables.4x2.net
ok, so it appears to me that Xvid is better than Divx if you know what your doing
well, obviously, I dont!
so, in order to see for myself and others, could people that use Xvid and feel they have better results than divx either upload your processor settings and state what codec
OR tell us what Xvid settings you use and state what codec
thx

~Octavious

This kind of topic has been discussed too many times. :)

And no Divx is better WHEN YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. ;)

But only a few people know encoding well, the others don't.

Believe that. :)

I feel that xvid is better and I've had quite a bit of experience with encoding (although I admit maybe Drumaster has more, I don't know).

The thing with xvid is you can get as close as you can to filling your memory card with as you can as you can select the file size. So cramming in as higha bitrate as you can. I can also manage to play higher fps at the same clock speed on xvid (I tried finding nemo and had to run the file at 150 for divx for smooth playback and 133 was fine for xvid).

Maybe I just don't have enough divx experience. But you can easily get excellent results with xvid. My divx stuff takes more guesswork for filesizing and ends up at a lower quality because of this.

I find for cartoon eps etc that it doesn't really make any difference tbh.

Edit: Oh, but 1 downer for xvid is the weird vertical sizing issue. I can get over that though :D.

where do I get the Xvid codec and how do I install?
is it like the the Divx 4.1 one where I just install or do I have to manually put things places
also, could you put the settings you used under the Xvid codec here?
thx dozer

~Octavious

You can get the required Xvid codec from the GP32 Euro site.
You can also donwload the mp3 codec from there if you don't have it.

GP32 Euro site - utils page

Also, I used the guide from Entware's site when I encoded a Xvid file. It's probably not the best settings to use (especially now that GPCcinema 2 is out) but it's a start.

The above guide requires VirtualDubMod though, so you'll need to get that too.

Alternatively, you can try this guide which uses two pass encoding. Try both. Personally, on the files I've encoded I found the difference between one pass and two pass negligible.

This is what I've found from searching this site in the past, but I'm sure other people have got their own preferred ways of doing things and what works/doesn't work too. Plese help out.

The thing with xvid is you can get as close as you can to filling your memory card with as you can as you can select the file size. So cramming in as higha bitrate as you can.
With my Divx 4.12 settings I know exactly how many Mb my movie will be (simply regarding his length and put the right bitrate). :)
It's experience that told me that. :)

^ so whats ur settings?

and , how do I install the codec? I tried installing to standard location on C , but it didnt work, where do I install to??
and ya, I did restart computer if that matters..

~Octavious

Back