GP Cinema - xViD - DivX - File Sizes - Problems..

shah

Hi all,

I wanted start this thread to see other people expirience with the new GP cinema and also have a few Q's answered....!

I have manged to get GP cinema to load.

1) What codec does it support.. Just x-VID and DivX 4.12 or others as well...?

2) xVid - I cannot get movies to load if converted to xvid. anyone care to send me there settings. I can get the 4.12 to load and plays well.

3) xVid - File sizes: When i code into xvid, sure the file size is smaller BUT the quality is much poorer, anyway to get round this situation... without creating mega file sizes..?

4) Virtual Dub.. can you decimate by 1.6 to get 15fps... i think you can because i have done it.. anycare to coraborate..?

5) Please answer these questions if you know what you are talking about... and also leave questions that you need answerin.

Thanks

Shah

1) both codecs
2) hmm.. got no settings yet
3) i think xvid produces better quality movies
4) DOH!!!!!
Why?
just SET the constant FPS... i.e. 16
don't use decimate... 8)) it isn't flexible

5) ^^^^^^^^^^^

actually using v-dub 1.4 you can specify 1.6, but it ignores it and preocesses it a full frame rate.

...!!

Don Miguel posted on Jul 27 2003 said:
1) both codecs
2) hmm.. got no settings yet
3) i think xvid produces better quality movies
4) DOH!!!!!
Why?
just SET the constant FPS... i.e. 16
don't use decimate... 8)) it isn't flexible

5) ^^^^^^^^^^^
But won´t the audio get messed up if you just set the framerate?

Last edited by a moderator:
1) What codec does it support.. Just x-VID and DivX 4.12 or others as well.

A: Have only tried Divx 4.12 and XviD.I imagine they will be the only choices that are supported.If you wish to encode using XviD, then use the version of the codec available from the GP Cinema page at JoyGP.I've tried a couple of other versions of XviD and they didn't work.

2) xVid - I cannot get movies to load if converted to xvid. anyone care to send me there settings. I can get the 4.12 to load and plays well.

A: Try that version of XviD from JoyGP.

3) xVid - File sizes: When i code into xvid, sure the file size is smaller BUT the quality is much poorer, anyway to get round this situation... without creating mega file sizes..?

A: Well I'm an advocate of 2-pass encoding.This could be an answer for you.It takes about twice as long to encode using this approach, but it allows for improved quality and a controllable final file size when using XviD.

4) Virtual Dub.. can you decimate by 1.6 to get 15fps... i think you can because i have done it.. anycare to coraborate..?

If you encode with XviD you can use the latest versions of Virtualdub and convert the framerate to 15fps or whatever directly by enabling the 'convert to fps' option.

I'm having really wierd problems with Vdub at the moment, using 4.12 I'm getting huge file sizes, The other day I ripped spiderman from DVD and it's in four VOBS, after flasking them and then encoding them for (was then movie park) one quarter of the whole movie took up 150mb and I did it twice just to make sure.

I've also noticed now that I can't actually play movies on my PC anymore, they just freeze up in media player or winamp, I've got divxpack installed I wonder if its a conflict of codecs.....is that possible?

GPcinema only supports one particular build of xvid - the one linked to off the GPcinema page on joygp. I haven't tried it myself yet though.

:ph34r: i used a guide i found on http://www.waystation.mcmail.com/...
i encoded about 10 films and even more tv shows useing the method before i had
my gp32 and got gp cinema the day it came out....
all my video's work fine....
no av sync problems....
no freezing as some have complaned of....
check it out for those who are confused....
peace...out

I absolutely second that,
Jim diGriz did a great tutorial (again).

The downloadable processing settings didnt work for me, though.

Thanks.It's nice to get some feedback- either positive or negative.Any news of how the guides are working out for people is welcome.
I'm sorry there was a problem with the processing settings.What exactly was the problem you encountered? I'd like to put it straight as soon as possible.

Back