Xgp... Revealed In December?

Uh... Yes it is smooth, and if you'd look at the picture, you could clearly see that I have my thumb resting in the center like I would on any other controller's D-pad(like the NES one...). I'm not saying that you have to like it, and I'm not making long posts about nothing... I'm just trying to understand why the hell people don't like it because I can play with it the exact same way I can with any other d-pad. There's no difference. The fact that they're split up doesn't make it hard to hit anything. I've never had pain from playing with ANY controller for ANY amount of time.

How can that picture possibly give you the impression that it's hard to hit 2 directions at once? I rest my thumb in the center, touching all 4 buttons at once(but not pushing them in), and all I have to do is put a tiny bit of pressure and tilt my thumb in the direction of the button/s I want to hit. I don't pick up my thumb and move it every time I want a different direction. And I don't keep my thumb touching only the direction I want to use... Maybe if you try to do that, THEN it's hard to hit a diagonal... like if you try to have your thumb touch the buttons on the "outside" of the D-pad... and I have no idea why you'd do that.

Let me ask you something(those of you who don't like Sony's D-pad)... Do you use the tip of your thumbs when you play videogames? If you do, that's probably why... because I don't, and I have no problem hitting diagonals... but if you use the tip of your thumb, then I can see why you'd have trouble with it.

Why does everyone say that Magus (Not Magnus, learn how to read) makes long posts about nothing? Saying that seems pretty paradoxical if you ask me, and the only way he could possibly do that is if every sentence was arbitrarily changing the subject to something irrelevant, which they aren't.

It seems that when faced with the danger of the unknown (that's you not being able to read well enough to understand his posts), logic fails and quickly leads to textbook insults that are formable by a monkey randomly pointing at a few words on a page of insults.

I have played plenty of consoles, and I can say that no controller has ever made my hands hurt (I'm not fat or strangely shaped, either. I'm 5'11 and 158 lbs, I can send you a picture of me on a scale if you don't believe me). Anyway, the PS2 controller lacking a center makes no difference. Learn how to push buttons on a controller by using your whole thumb, not the tip; the center of the d-pad is easy to push when you actually know how to use a controller.

Well alright then... I didn't know that, and that's why I was asking... but people have complained about the regular PSX controller's D-pad too. And even though the space is a little bigger, I'm sure I could still use it. I don't know for sure though because I haven't had the chance to try a PSP yet.

Why does everyone say that Magus (Not Magnus, learn how to read) makes long posts about nothing? Saying that seems pretty paradoxical if you ask me, and the only way he could possibly do that is if every sentence was arbitrarily changing the subject to something irrelevant, which they aren't.

It seems that when faced with the danger of the unknown (that's you not being able to read well enough to understand his posts), logic fails and quickly leads to textbook insults that are formable by a monkey randomly pointing at a few words on a page of insults.

I have played plenty of consoles, and I can say that no controller has ever made my hands hurt (I'm not fat or strangely shaped, either. I'm 5'11 and 158 lbs, I can send you a picture of me on a scale if you don't believe me). Anyway, the PS2 controller lacking a center makes no difference. Learn how to push buttons on a controller by using your whole thumb, not the tip; the center of the d-pad is easy to push when you actually know how to use a controller.

what the fuck?? uknown? seriously, all that isn't hard to understand. it is pretty much a big post about nothing since he didn't have to write much to get his point across. plus this crap has been discussed to an end a while back.

and back to the damn ps/p dpad....it sucks for diagonals. play a shootemup with the ps2 pad, then play it with something that has an 8way dpad..you know which one will play better/smoother.
you just can't get good smooth motion easily from those 4 seperate buttons. it's basically not as good for 2d games. the no center makes a big difference, especially if you have to make a lot of different motions for something like a 2d fighter. not only hinders gameplay, but comfort.
for me, it just isn't as comfortable as an 8way dpad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does everyone say that Magus (Not Magnus, learn how to read) makes long posts about nothing?  Saying that seems pretty paradoxical if you ask me, and the only way he could possibly do that is if every sentence was arbitrarily changing the subject to something irrelevant, which they aren't.

I have played plenty of consoles, and I can say that no controller has ever made my hands hurt (I'm not fat or strangely shaped, either.  I'm 5'11 and 158 lbs, I can send you a picture of me on a scale if you don't believe me).  Anyway, the PS2 controller lacking a center makes no difference.  Learn how to push buttons on a controller by using your whole thumb, not the tip; the center of the d-pad is easy to push when you actually know how to use a controller.

what the fuck?? uknown? seriously, all that isn't hard to understand. it is pretty much a big post about nothing since he didn't have to write much to get his point across. plus this crap has been discussed to an end a while back.

and back to the damn ps/p dpad....it sucks for diagonals. play a shootemup with the ps2 pad, then play it with something that has an 8way dpad..you know which one will play better/smoother.
you just can't get good smooth motion easily from those 4 seperate buttons. it's basically not as good for 2d games. the no center makes a big difference, especially if you have to make a lot of different motions for something like a 2d fighter. not only hinders gameplay, but comfort.
for me, it just isn't as comfortable as an 8way dpad.

1. He didn't have to write that much to get his point across, eh? That's your opinion, and it wouldn't be about nothing anyway, it'd just be elaborating on a subject.

2. It doesn't matter what you say, I CAN use the buttons properly, you can't tell me I can't, you know why? Because i've fucking done it, retard. Maybe if you knew how to hold a controller and/or you weren't a fanboy, you would say the same.

In other words, they will still be using the 200mhz cpu to run Quake3 and UT2003.

200 MHz PLUS a 3D GPU. With a 3D GPU you don't need gobs of CPU clock to get good results. Look what the DS can do with 3D with it's paltry 66 MHz CPU. If they go mental with a fast CPU you will get shitty battery life.

1. He didn't have to write that much to get his point across, eh? That's your opinion, and it wouldn't be about nothing anyway, it'd just be elaborating on a subject.

2. It doesn't matter what you say, I CAN use the buttons properly, you can't tell me I can't, you know why? Because i've fucking done it, retard. Maybe if you knew how to hold a controller and/or you weren't a fanboy, you would say the same.

did i say you couldn't or that it's not possible?! my whole point is that an 8way dpad is better for diagonal motion than the ps's stiff 4 button piece of shit, which is universally hated for 2d games. you can of course use it, but there are better designed dpads than this shit. pulling off supers or playing shumps on ps pad sucks! only thing it's suited for is resident evil style movement, rpgs, most ps2 3d games...imo.

and what exactly makes me a fanboy, eh? if you think that criticizing the playstation dpad makes me a fanboy, then you are the retard. and there's only one way to hold a fucking controller, moron.

universally hated means everybody hates it, yet I don't hate it, and neither do any of my non-retarded, non-GP32X friends who actually know how the hell to use a controller... It's not 4 separate buttons if they're connected, which they sure as fuck are. They're not connected on the top, but they are underneath... Bottom line: they're still connected and therefore not 4 separate buttons... And you can still get 8 directions with them too, so calling something other than a PSX d-pad an 8-way pad and therefore implying that the psx d-pad is incapable of hitting diagonals is fuckin stupid. Basically all you're saying is that you're too retarded to know how to use a psx controller, so it's bad. By the way... if it's so bad for playing 2D games, then tell me please why I have no trouble using it with my Megaman Anniversary Collection for PS2.

universally hated means everybody hates it, yet I don't hate it, and neither do any of my non-retarded, non-GP32X friends who actually know how the hell to use a controller... It's not 4 separate buttons if they're connected, which they sure as fuck are. They're not connected on the top, but they are underneath... Bottom line: they're still connected and therefore not 4 separate buttons... And you can still get 8 directions with them too, so calling something other than a PSX d-pad an 8-way pad and therefore implying that the psx d-pad is incapable of hitting diagonals is fuckin stupid. Basically all you're saying is that you're too retarded to know how to use a psx controller, so it's bad. By the way... if it's so bad for playing 2D games, then tell me please why I have no trouble using it with my Megaman Anniversary Collection for PS2.
I personally like the Playstation 1 D pad, just the psp one hurts my thumb when hitting up, but thats just me (Ive got a completely 90 degree, hitchikers thumb, thats probably why).

1. He didn't have to write that much to get his point across, eh?  That's your opinion, and it wouldn't be about nothing anyway, it'd just be elaborating on a subject.

2. It doesn't matter what you say, I CAN use the buttons properly, you can't tell me I can't, you know why?  Because i've fucking done it, retard.  Maybe if you knew how to hold a controller and/or you weren't a fanboy, you would say the same.

did i say you couldn't or that it's not possible?! my whole point is that an 8way dpad is better for diagonal motion than the ps's stiff 4 button piece of shit, which is universally hated for 2d games. you can of course use it, but there are better designed dpads than this shit. pulling off supers or playing shumps on ps pad sucks! only thing it's suited for is resident evil style movement, rpgs, most ps2 3d games...imo.

and what exactly makes me a fanboy, eh? if you think that criticizing the playstation dpad makes me a fanboy, then you are the retard. and there's only one way to hold a fucking controller, moron.

Wow, apparently you've never heard of sentence structure... Let's try to respond to this...

1. An "8 way dpad" is better? Firstly, the PS controller is 8 ways too. Secondly they both only have four individual buttons underneath the d-pad to recognize a diagonal. Nintendo's controller does it the same exact way, by having two buttons next to each other pressed, it makes a diagonal.

2. It isn't universally hated because you and a few other people can't use it properly.

3. I called you a fanboy? Apparently you are incapable of understanding an and/or statement. I said that the reason you are dissing Sony could possibly be influenced by being a fanboy, not that you actually are one. So no, i'm not retarded, you are, because you once again prove your inability to read and/or understand a post (uh oh, I used it again).

4. There isn't only one way to hold a controller, if you pick it up upside down, does the Controller God come down and smack it out of your hand? I didn't say that you held it wrong anyway; I said that you pushed the button wrong (use your whole thumb instead of the tip for the thousandth time).

Ya, and if you see the new "Rub Rabbits" (US, Japan called Where do babies come from) game for the DS, they make you hold the system sideways, upside down, etc... So your very wrong.

Back to the original point.... THE PSP pad sucks... even if you do hit both directions at the same time with your whole thumb it does not guarantee a diagonal... and you cannot hit the PSP dir pad from the same angles as the psx pad (which by the way I have no problems with) because part of your hand would be covering part of the screen.

besides this point... carry on with your flamewars :p

Wow, apparently you've never heard of sentence structure... Let's try to respond to this...

1. An "8 way dpad" is better? Firstly, the PS controller is 8 ways too. Secondly they both only have four individual buttons underneath the d-pad to recognize a diagonal. Nintendo's controller does it the same exact way, by having two buttons next to each other pressed, it makes a diagonal.

2. It isn't universally hated because you and a few other people can't use it properly.

3. I called you a fanboy? Apparently you are incapable of understanding an and/or statement. I said that the reason you are dissing Sony could possibly be influenced by being a fanboy, not that you actually are one. So no, i'm not retarded, you are, because you once again prove your inability to read and/or understand a post (uh oh, I used it again).

4. There isn't only one way to hold a controller, if you pick it up upside down, does the Controller God come down and smack it out of your hand? I didn't say that you held it wrong anyway; I said that you pushed the button wrong (use your whole thumb instead of the tip for the thousandth time).

when i say 8waydpad, you know the type i'm talking about
381815lx.jpg
since they are usually called 8way dpads.
we're not talking about the the 4 contacts on the board or range of movements, but about the damn dpad itself and its performance. my whole argument is that the ps pad sucks for hitting diagonals in terms of fluidity, and is better suited for 3d movement. you say that i think that's so, because i don't know how to use it? there's only one way to use it, idiot, and no one plays with the tip of their thumb, either.

2-universally hated? close enough. you idiots don't count.

3-or from your and/or shit applied, moron.

4-you did say that i hold the thing wrong, ya piece of shit.

You people are all argueing over PREFERANCE. a totally subjective variable. if the Dpad sucks it's because YOU feel it sucks, and Vice versa for it to not suck simply means you've learned to adjust to it compared to other Dpads.

I have a controller for my laptop, same general design as the Dualshock the only differance is that it has a nice big "iron cross" style 8way pad, and you know what? it fucking sucks for extended periods of gaming, This of course is my opinion. I also have very little problem playing fighting games on PS2 but I can understand that the lack of surface area between the directions can cause some people difficulty because they cling to the format Nintendo pioneered. PSP on the other hand can cause a little more distress over time than the Dualshock but I attribute that more to the fact that it's not as ergonomically shaped as the dualshock.

Again this is my opinion just as are all these "facts" you guys are flinging around about what you think of the Dpad and it's level of acceptance. Honestly if the thing sucked as much as the vocal minority is claiming you dont think Sony would have used it for a second and thrid generation do you? Hell it too M$ like 2 months after the release of the Xbox to realize they pissed people off with their controller and change it.

You people are all argueing over PREFERANCE. a totally subjective variable. if the Dpad sucks it's because YOU feel it sucks, and Vice versa for it to not suck simply means you've learned to adjust to it compared to other Dpads.

I have a controller for my laptop, same general design as the Dualshock the only differance is that it has a nice big "iron cross" style 8way pad, and you know what? it fucking sucks for extended periods of gaming, This of course is my opinion. I also have very little problem playing fighting games on PS2 but I can understand that the lack of surface area between the directions can cause some people difficulty because they cling to the format Nintendo pioneered. PSP on the other hand can cause a little more distress over time than the Dualshock but I attribute that more to the fact that it's not as ergonomically shaped as the dualshock.

Again this is my opinion just as are all these "facts" you guys are flinging around about what you think of the Dpad and it's level of acceptance. Honestly if the thing sucked as much as the vocal minority is claiming you dont think Sony would have used it for a second and thrid generation do you? Hell it too M$ like 2 months after the release of the Xbox to realize they pissed people off with their controller and change it.

Nah dude... the PSP dir pad really does suck :D

yeah, true. preferance in the end. i just feel that most times it's better to play games on the controls they were designed for..like retro\emulated stuff on traditional dpads, or arcade stick for arcade/fighters, etc..

To all the peeps that aren't interested in XGP, you have a right to your own opinion, but as for me I can't wait to see the final product.
And for the peeps talking about the SONY style and Nintendo D-pads, we are way off topic, but I think the PSP D-pad is just fine for all emulated games. gp32_console

hey i liked the "duke" controller for xbox, i like it more than the S .it had substance and immense bulk to it, i want one to mod for USB use

Back