Xgp Homepage Open

Rockin posted on Aug 3 2005 at 01:27 PM said:
Why you people start bashing the XGP?

It is in my eyes absolutely clear that 3D is a must for new handheld systems, there is no way around it. Though it has been (I say, HAS been) very popular, emulation is NOT what a handheld videogame is all about, as it leaves all new features and improvements of the last years unused.

As you say homebrew devvers are not able to create good (3D) games, It's clear that we need commercial games!

What comes to my mind is that the amount of homebrew opensource games is limited and very much exausted.
This means you find ports of the same emus, the same games and the same stuff for a variety of videogame systems (GP32, DC, XBox).

What most of us agree on though is that if you do want 3D games that market is already occupied by Sony and Nintendo machines. Some little known Korean hole-in-the-wall company is unlikely to survive against those juggernauts in the same market. Zodiac tried it, Gizmondo is trying, but will end in defeat. The Zodiac is the first to fall, Giz is next. So this is why there is a place for the GPx2. It fills a niche that those other systems aren't as strong in. Those other machines have 3D gaming covered, the GPx2 can have 2D homebrew and emulation covered. The GPx2 has better matching screen aspect/sizes better digital controls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyclops posted on Aug 3 2005 at 04:51 AM said:
No. I compared the GPX2 to a Cheap Linux PC, and I was wrong. Gamepark Holdings is right its a media player. I should have compared it to a DVD Player

I'm not sceptical about them being incompatable. I'm certain of it. Regardless of purpose, which I have gone into at length. They have different SDK's, and chips, and screens, and god knows what else.

No! neither does what I want.

You make assumptions, about developing for both. I really if anything hope they don't and concentrate on making the best emu on that platform. Closed source will become an issue for you if Full Snes only apprears on GPX2. Its already an issue to those wanting backward compabilty with the GP32. Again I don't care if they do or don't. Its not what I want.

OpenGL ES is a subset of OpenGL (stuff missing). Doing any porting of anything has started to sound tricky, and then you have the propriatry SDK to deal with, And other showstoppers. Suddenly its time and effort, spent on a limited skill, on a limited platform, its a black art. I'm sure it will be fun for XGP homebrewer, not as much fun being a user.

Nope, I don't think that GPX2 should be compared to a cheap DVD player. Their usage is different but it can be compared to the Reigncom's iriver U10 which can play mp3's, movies images and flash games. GPX2 beats their ass in the price aspect. And I haven't said all the linux and opengl games ported to the systems it is impossible, you're right because of the limitations but I meant some of them will be all right.

In a dream world i wouldn't buy either and instead buy the rights to the orginal GP32 hardware design, tweak the CPU and its clock speed to around 250/300mhz, up it to 64mb of ram,upgrade to SD and add an external USB 2.0....Then release it! lol

Wouldn't that suite everyone better?

mattyrb posted on Aug 3 2005 at 09:11 PM said:
In a dream world i wouldn't buy either and instead buy the rights to the orginal GP32 hardware design, tweak the CPU and its clock speed to around 250/300mhz, up it to 64mb of ram,upgrade to SD and add an external USB 2.0....Then release it! lol

Yes! But in a dream world only as you say. The reality is that probably even the two Gameparks doesn't know who own the rights of the console.

Rob posted on Aug 3 2005 at 08:34 PM said:
mattyrb posted on Aug 3 2005 at 09:11 PM said:

Yes! But in a dream world only as you say. The reality is that probably even the two Gameparks doesn't know who own the rights of the console.

they do! gamepark own the rights to the original gp32, hence the most likely reason why we will not get any backwards compatibility.

It will be interesting to see if the gpx implements BC into it's specs.

Rob posted on Aug 3 2005 at 01:20 PM said:
GPX2 at least with the current specs is not that major step up. Everyone was dreaming about PS1, N64 and DC emulation.
Most people said PS1 and N64 were unlikely-impossible, and nobody was a big enough lunatic to suggest DC was ever going to happen.

LHC posted on Aug 4 2005 at 01:10 AM said:
Most people said PS1 and N64 were unlikely-impossible, and nobody was a big enough lunatic to suggest DC was ever going to happen.
About the DC you are not right. There were a few lunatics on the old GPX2 topics but you are not right big enough lunatic means suggesting that X-Box 360 will be emulated on GPX2, the people suggesting DC emu were just mad. But LHC wait a minute oh! you must have forgotten this tread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=17183&st=15
But even you have given your opinion on the next page so your memory lies you about the expectation of the people. They were even PS2 emulation which is funny, silly and only prooves that it is fruitless to make plans and comments for something unknown. Yes! And your comment fits the situation now. PS2, heh!

You know I haven't even seen very good N64 emulation on PC at this point (Dammit why can't Sin and Punishment be emulated perfectly?!) I wouldnt expect to see it on a handheld with only one control stick.

While DC or even Saturn would be nice on a portable, closer to PERFECT versions of the stuff we have on GP32 (specifically TG16 SNES and MAME) would be nicer to have first.

Alpha2 posted on Aug 4 2005 at 12:38 AM said:
You know I haven't even seen very good N64 emulation on PC at this point (Dammit why can't Sin and Punishment be emulated perfectly?!) I wouldnt expect to see it on a handheld with only one control stick.

While DC or even Saturn would be nice on a portable, closer to PERFECT versions of the stuff we have on GP32 (specifically TG16 SNES and MAME) would be nicer to have first.

i guarantee that you will be playing emulated dreamcast on a handheld before you will be playing emulated saturn - that could be best part of another decade away!!

Lets concentrate on the basics such as megadrive, snes then elaborate to mega cd, neo, amiga and the rest of the 16 bit systems. most 32 bit systems for emulation may be at least 1 generation away yet.

Wow, some people are really stupid. Half of you guys say that 2D can't be done on a 3D system like the XGP! Well quite frankly I think that is complete bull. I mean we've seen it done ps2,gamecube, and even XBOX! How hard could it be to do it on an XGP? :rolleyes:

OMars posted on Aug 4 2005 at 10:40 PM said:
Wow, some people are really stupid. Half of you guys say that 2D can't be done on a 3D system like the XGP! Well quite frankly I think that is complete bull. I mean we've seen it done ps2,gamecube, and even XBOX! How hard could it be to do it on an XGP? :rolleyes:

I must have missed the post where people were saying it can't be done. I think most people just accept programs 2D common, 3D uncommon, and think the extra cost should stay in there pocket.

Is is 3D or 3D at the expence of a whole CPU running 200Mhz, Resized video without encoding, Slower 2D acceleration, etc, etc.

Obviously you are an expert, at the features available on the 3D chip and are able to weigh them against that of the 2D one. And do a proper analysis of the impact on various programs commonly wanted on the GPnextgen. Becuase I can't

If you are expecting a 3D chip of the magnitude of that of the Gamecube/X-box/PS-2 in a device that runs on AA batteries and is cheap. It could very well be that. I suspect the 3D chip will be the same as one used in a mobile phone.

You should be careful about calling others stupid, esp as your post is clearly uninformed.

OMars posted on Aug 4 2005 at 11:40 PM said:
what are you talking about??? nobody says that!!!

we have all said again and again that if you want emulation on a handheld that is mainly used for 3D , then get a PSP as it also has great commercial and homebrew game support. THE END.

If a company is talking up the 3D capabitlies of their system they don't particularly care about 2D anymore. So when people think about the XGP they automatically assume that they're planning nothing but 3D commercial games (assuming they get much commercial support at all) further established by there claims of going head to head with the PSP.

Very few Homebrew aps would take advantage of the 3D chip and thats why people are harsh on it, It might help for a N64 emu or something but that assumes the XGP is even straong enough to run a N64 emulator to begin with something that still in question at this time.

no_skill posted on Aug 5 2005 at 06:16 AM said:
but you can port 3d games with more horsepower in the machine.

you can also port more games with a dual core CPU running 400Mhz+ than One running 200Mhz. but serously what games. having a look at the more established PSP Games that has a very similar libary to OPENGL ES...Doom,Quake,Hexen,Heretic nothiing we haven't seen or expect to see on a 2D device.

Of interest is that the quake needs to overclock the CPU to 333Mhz to get decent framerates. You see what I mean.

Remember your not only looking at whats possible, but also whats practical.

Rockin posted on Aug 3 2005 at 01:27 PM said:
Why you people start bashing the XGP?

It is in my eyes absolutely clear that 3D is a must for new handheld systems, there is no way around it. Though it has been (I say, HAS been) very popular, emulation is NOT what a handheld videogame is all about, as it leaves all new features and improvements of the last years unused.

As you say homebrew devvers are not able to create good (3D) games, It's clear that we need commercial games!

What comes to my mind is that the amount of homebrew opensource games is limited and very much exausted.
This means you find ports of the same emus, the same games and the same stuff for a variety of videogame systems (GP32, DC, XBox).

the words "Gamepark" and "Commercial Games" dont mix... I mean look at the Commercial GP32 Games!!! Theirs about 10 and its been out for about 4 years! :D

Now compair the Number of GP32 games to say GBA games :)

Also I wouldnt trust Game Park, they said the GP32 would have net access etc and lots of commercial games but where are they ;) ;) B)

Back