Xgp Homepage Open

DaveC posted on Aug 1 2005 at 05:15 AM said:
Overall big BAH! The GPx2 one is looking better than this for emus and HB and has a better matching screen aspect and res. So my vote would go to the GPx2.

Actually, another Korean company called Raincom, famous for their Ireavers, are also planning for a handheld console, which is supposed to blow PSP out of their seats hardware-wise.

Might wanna keep an eye out for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but the problem with all these Korean underground systems is that they will inevitably be emulation/homebrew oriented - they will never get the sort of commericial support or public awareness of systems like PSP and DS.

Which sad to say, makes all these fancy and expensive components (like 3D chips and widescree) a bit irrelevent. While nice to have, how likely are they to get fully used? Might as well just have a PSP for fancy hardware - there will be tons of great games that makes use of it.

So far I think the GPX2 is the only one of these upcoming devices that makes sense in terms of features/price ratio. If only it had 300Mhz+ and 64MB RAM. Seems like we are forever waiting for the "perfect" emulation handheld. *sigh* Honestly the PSP emulators are pretty amazing, and it has great commercial games as well, so it's about the best system around at the moment IMO.

Unkown Korean companies trying to fight nintendo or sony in direct battle like that will get mulched. I couldnt care less if Raincom has a stronger system than PSP since they're not likely to have anything worth playing because no one outside of Korean would have heard of them. This means all their games will be untranslated and likely not be worth importing, and if it's not open source it's even worse.

The XGP is a poor attempt at a next gen GP32 because it focuses on the weekest part of what the last system did, commercial games.

This one's a wrap people.

Take one Gizmondo. Remove crap such as GPS, GPRS, WinCE. Replace LCD for a 3.5" 320x240. Make open source. Sorted :)

Hopefully, the Ninja will eventually be close to this (ie, minus the 3D accelerator, but we don't care about that anyway).

wifi, 64mb ddrm ram and 3d accel?
sounds interesting to me.

regarding openess and xgp vs gpx2, i'll wait till both are released.

specs wise this looks far more interesting.

bast525 posted on Aug 1 2005 at 07:33 AM said:
I'm so f'ing lost... so Gamepark are releasing TWO new systems soon? XGP and GPX2?? or what??? I haven't been around for a while and I"m completely lost... seems like something to get excited about but I'm not sure what?

Gamepark and Gamepark Holdings is now a different company.

Gamepark Holdings used to take care of sales, advertisement and service department, but they split up now.

Gamepark Holdings consists of core employees that made GP32 possible, thus people here see GPX2, which is by Gamepark Holdings a true succesor of GP32.

XGP will be a psp-alike portable.

Alpha2 posted on Aug 1 2005 at 06:45 AM said:
I couldnt care less if Raincom has a stronger system than PSP since they're not likely to have anything worth playing because no one outside of Korean would have heard of them.

Raincom's portable will be a world-wide release.

After their success of Ireaver (which supposely outsold Ipod in some parts of the world), they've gained firm ground on retail partnetship around the globe.

I've yet to see them gaining 3rd party support, though.

Reigncom are famous for the iriver, they are not a small company and if they did come out with a game machine some big developers will probably back it up. They are actually one of my favorite companies for their mp3 lineup. :)

Jr2swiss posted on Aug 1 2005 at 08:23 AM said:
iriver

I knew there was something wrong with the spelling when I wrote 'Ireaver'.

Rofl.

I think this looks pretty good. The ram is a big plus, nopt just 64mb but DDR as well. And just how useful is the 3d accelerator? Will devs be able to make use of it? WiFi is certainly cool, it opens up loads of possibilities, possibly even netplay. People have been moaning that nobody will use the second core of the gpx2, so surely a sigle core with an accelerator is a bonus for them?

I like it.

hando posted on Aug 1 2005 at 08:33 AM said:
Poloo2 at could you point me to links about this reigncom new console ?

http://www.gpzigi.com/zboard/zboard.php?id...sc=asc&no=32711

I've taken the info from gpzigi forum.

Poster of this thread took the info from Ruliweb.com, Korea's largest games news & community website, and posted it at gpzigi.

Apparently, original poster from Ruliweb phoned Raincom and interviewed them.

The Q & A interview reads:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Q. How far are you guys at?
A. We've just started and we're planning for release early next year. We're going to be officially releasing development tool starting this fall. ( They were not clear on either if it is a development 'tool' or 'SDK')

Q. I've been hearing rumors about a game phone?
A. It is a rumor. We're going to support wibro

Q. There are alot of competitions. Are you confident?
A. We're looking at a different direction on this. We're going to be converting Online games and allow players to play them wirelessly.

Q. Online game? Elaborate.
A. Games like Kart Rider (popular korean on-line racing game) and such, we want people to be able to play them on the go, wirelessly, on places like public transit. We want the users to be able to play those games on the same server as PC users do.

Q. Without wibro network ready, is it not a little early?
A. There are no infrastructure yet, but we're planning ahead.

Q. Alright, then how many companies and developers do you have in contact? how good a game do you think you can publish on this platform?
A. It's too early to say. We're making some contacts at the moment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detailed info on it is pretty much vailed atm. I'll let you know if something comes up on it.

Edit: Here you go. http://www.reigncom.com/eng/investor/man/e...&cd_noti_host=5

Straight from Reigncom website.

btw, a news jus came up on at gpzigi website.

Just same old info but with both GPX2 and XGP specs side-by-side.

http://www.gpzigi.com/zboard/view.php?id=news&no=265

Interesting thing to take a note of is that on XGP's feature list, it says OpenSDK

GPX2 says OpenLicense, and XGP says OpenSDK... does that mean that both platforms allow homebrew?

Slight nuiance difference, but I'm not quite sure what they're implying.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

................................XGP.................................GPX2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer............Gamepark..................Gamepark Holdings......

CPU....................Type unknown................MMSP2..................
..................ARM920T Core200MHz........ARM920T Core200MHz - Host
.........................................................ARM920T Core200MHz - Video
..........................OpenGL-ES...................................................

RAM......DDR64MB + NAND Flash 64MB....DDR32MB + NAND Flash 64MB

LCD.......... 4 Inch (480X272, 16:10).........3.5 Inch (320X240, 4:3)....

Network.......WiFi(802.11b/g)...................Not applicable...............

Ext Memory..............SD....................................SD................

Battery........Internal Lithium Ion.................AA x 2...................

OS..................No info yet................................Linux..............

Feature...........OpenSDK..............................OpenLicense..........
......................3D games....................Music playback- MP3, OGG, WMA
................Music playback- MP3...........Movie playback- MP4, Xvid, Divx, WMV
................Movie playback- MP4, Xvid...............Text, Image viewer........
................Text, Image viewer......................Dictionary................
.................DMB player...................................Game...................
..................TV-Out...................................................................
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

done.

Wow, awesome specs!

3D accelerator and TV out, great!
And not to forget: more RAM, bigger screen resolution and BETTER SOUND

If it's true that it will be possible to dev for it, too............

I can't hear people screaming for emus and state "for what need is a 3D chip for emulation?".
Crazy, absolutely crazy. We played these old games on the original systems, then we pirated thousands of ROMs and played them on emus runnning on PC, then on Dreamcast, then on GP32, then on XBOX, Playstation 2, .... .
Haven't you played them much enough?

Me as a devver and much more as a gamer, I prefer making one good game which actually exploits the hardware and gives graphics and sounds of todays quality.
But nevertheless, emus gain the biggest publicity, maybe just for the piracy background.

Anyways, I'm curious how it will look like and what games it'll have.
Those of Gizmondo already look very good (all 3D).

loz_the_guru posted on Aug 1 2005 at 09:31 AM said:
And just how useful is the 3d accelerator? Will devs be able to make use of it?

OpenGL Es = YES! + easy porting. (at least i guess so, i don't know opengl es too well, but i guess it's pretty close to "normal" opengl)

no_skill posted on Aug 1 2005 at 10:07 AM said:
OpenGL Es = YES! + easy porting. (at least i guess so, i don't know opengl es too well, but i guess it's pretty close to "normal" opengl)

OpenGL ES is more of a sub-set of OpenGL (Think OpenGL for Mobiles as that is where te standard came from in the 1st place).
OGL/ES Ver. 2 gives you programable shaders support that you could use with say the PowerVR MPX or other modern mobile GFX engine, there are not that many people making OGL/ES Ver. 2 silicon for resale (Sony's PSP supports it I think, not 100% sure) AFAIK so I would be interested to know the GFX chip Gamepark plan to use in the xGP. More info on OGL/ES is here.

Some interesting info here, time will tell if any of the devices are actualy any good in the field so to speak.

Back