Xbox Jostick Mod

Michael

Still Fresh
I've never modded anything before but the joystick on the gp2x is just tooo crap to work with. If it was rubber insted of plastic then at least you could get a better grip on it. Using it to play games like micro machines and zero wing is just unnessarily difficult so I decided to nick the anologe stick from my xbox controller. :)

First I thought it may be too big but as along as you let it have enough room to breath (stick out) then it works great.

Heres a pic:
xboxmod.jpg

And Heres a Crappy Guide (You Will Need a hacksaw):
xboxmodguide.png

As far as I'm aware this hasn't been done before but if it has sorry for posting it twice :ph34r:

its not too chunky. its about 3 a,b,x or y buttons high off the unit.

[edit] hmm maybe 4..[/edit]

Absolutely Amazingly Funkly Incrediblely Well. Your thumb fits wonderfully in it and theres no chance of it sliping off. If you playing a game that demands you to make sharp turns with the jostick then this is the mod for you.

Thats the sort of thing which would make me get a 2x. I take it the original one just pulls off the machine and you push that one on? What size hole do you need to drill. Any problems with dead spots etc?

Looks great but how does it work for fighting games?

BTW, looking at your pictures gave me an idea on how to add thickness to the Dreamcast analog stick. I have one already cut up but it's to thin. What I could do is cut up another one and glue them together bottom side touching. This would add enough thickness to drill a hole long enough for it to stay in place. I'll give it a go later on in the day. Hopefully it works. I hate cutting up another controller though but luckily I have 15 Dreamcast controllers stored away.

I don't no the hole size I just used a drill bit that looked that it would be about rite. Now and again it will stick but a slight wiggle back into place it will work.

I hate cutting up another controller though but luckily I have 15 Dreamcast controllers stored away.

Don't cut it up, give one to me instead. :>

Nice work. This helped motivate me to do my own stick mod, except using the D-pad from an imitation XBox controller. Plays pretty good, doesn't feel quite like a D-pad obviously but it's a lot better IMHO than the old stick.

As you can see I ended up drilling right through the thing! Durrrr... fortunately the drill bit I was using was a fair bit smaller than the metal arm on the GP2X, so it doesn't seem to make much difference.

707469241.jpg

91627340.jpg

ewwww screen smudges....

Jarska333 posted on Dec 30 2005 at 04:04 PM said:
It's not a touchscreen, y'know... :)

I was thinking about making similar from broken NES-controller... But I don't have a drill. :(
Hahaha.. really I didn't even notice the smudges before, it's just the flash from the camera that makes it look that bad.
Anyhow an NES controller would look cool, I don't know if it would work great because it's a cross shape and you're really using it as the top of a stick, not an actual pad. But if you can find a friend with a drill it might be worth a shot...

Lettuce Dude posted on Dec 30 2005 at 04:22 PM said:
All my Xbox joysticks wear down and Im left with the plastic and a sore thumb. Do you think It will happen to your mod after a wile?
How hard do you push on your sticks? Anyhow it might happen after a little while, but no big deal, just pop off the plastic bit and put the original back on, or make a new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice mod dude. Do you mind if I post about it on my site?

Jarska333 posted on Dec 30 2005 at 04:04 PM said:
It's not a touchscreen, y'know... :)
Everybodys looks like that I just gave mine one hell of a cleaning before taking a photo :ph34r:

Lettuce Dude posted on Dec 30 2005 at 04:22 PM said:
All my Xbox joysticks wear down and Im left with the plastic and a sore thumb
I've only ever seen that happen on a unofficial game contoller

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey gxx, your mod looks really neat. If i have problems with the stick when i get my unit, I'll definitely try that one out. I have two Madcatz Xbox controllers and basically, all they're good for is scrapping. Your mod looks really close to the casing, does it touch the case when you're pressing the directions? I'd imagine it'd have some contact issues, but other than that, that should keep everyone wandint a D-pad quiet for a while :>

But it doesn't work like a D-pad, does it? it still moves like a stick. I wonder if you can take that ring off the case and set the D-pad right on the switches. (I haven't seen the inside of a GP2X, so I don't know if it's possible.)

So the shaft of the stick hits the switches rather than how I'd assume a Nintendo D-pad works, right? If that's the case, then it's probably impossible. `_`;

Here is my Dreamcast joystick mod. I tried that idea I mentioned earlier about putting 2 together but it kept hitting the GP2X case when moving left and right. So what I did was just stick one Dreamcast joystick onto the GP2X joystick using double stick tape. Works great. I can finally play fighting games on DrMD and do dragon punches and fireballs with ease in either direction.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Back