Xbak An Engine For Betrayal At Krondor

Wow progress seems to be fairly rapid. So if you're working on the controls, how far aware are we from seeing a beta then? I wish I could help really...

So weird though, this is one of the games I thought 'would be amazing to see this on the 2X...' and within a month of me finding out about the 2X (and buying one not long after) its on its way. Amazing. Next someone will do an Elder Scrolls: Arena port...*looking around hopefully*

InsertFaveGameNameHere said:
Wow progress seems to be fairly rapid. So if you're working on the controls, how far aware are we from seeing a beta then? I wish I could help really...

So weird though, this is one of the games I thought 'would be amazing to see this on the 2X...' and within a month of me finding out about the 2X (and buying one not long after) its on its way. Amazing. Next someone will do an Elder Scrolls: Arena port...*looking around hopefully*
um, i think you and some others have the wrong impression of what I have done so far and what the original developer has done.

The xBak engine itself is in a early stages and is not a playable game. I have not done any development on the xBak engine. My goal is to port what is done and have it running on the GP2X, so that when the engine progress's it can be quickly recompiled for the GP2X.
My post a couple days ago was to tell everyone that I had a version that running. Before I had a version that was crashing in loading stages.
There still some problems, right now im stuck at the main menu, but it is displaying.
1. I havnt hooked up a working mouse or fixed the GP2X controls (so i cant select any menu options)
2. Some gfx buttons are missing
3. Sound doesnt work on either (not sure why, i think ive compiled the sound libs correctly)

If the current version of xBak runs as expected, one should be able to watch the startup screen and credits. Go to the main menu and click some of the buttons into other screens. If one clicks start game it shows the intro movie slideshow and then loads up the 3d view, which only show a few objects around the starting point. You can go into the inventory screen, but nothing is really functional.

In summary if we can add the GP2X stuff now, then when the engine is ready it can be used right away on the GP2X. I dont think its beneficial to put up a beta, you cant do anything with it.
Please go to the XBak page for more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for clearing that up Pickle! It's still exciting just to know someone's working on it. Many thanks!

Ah ok, I was under the impression the XBak for Linux was finished, I should have realised as I did wonder why the page on it seemed to be a bit work in progress-ish.

Well, not to worry. It's a good idea you have and you'd think more people would be working on the Linux PC crossover, so hopefully progress should be a tad swifter.

Maybe one day eh? Keep it up though - and update us as to the progress! :)

Cruel said:
Uh, oh.. well okay, we will wait :)

But all this sounds so exiting..
Keep it up, please.
Well I personally dont have any influence on how fast the engine is completed, but I can make sure it will work on the GP2X when it is finished.

Update for the day, sound is working FINALLY! (only for win32 so far, havnt tried on GP2X yet.)

Pickle said:
Cruel said:
Uh, oh.. well okay, we will wait :)

But all this sounds so exiting..
Keep it up, please.
Well I personally dont have any influence on how fast the engine is completed, but I can make sure it will work on the GP2X when it is finished.

Update for the day, sound is working FINALLY! (only for win32 so far, havnt tried on GP2X yet.)

Second Update: GP2X controls added and they work!, isnt continous motion yet though. Some other bugs are popping up in the main menu. Also SDL_sound isnt linking in right, so no sound on GP2X yet.

NEW UPDATE:

xBak demo is working without any problems without sound
joystick control works perfectly
only problem is sound, i cant for the life of me get it to work on the GP2X. It works with the windows port compiled from the same code. There are no linker problems. It just segfaults when it trys call a function read_midi_file.

Im almost ready to go ahead an release it without it.

Simple reply. Awesome :).

BaK is great and getting it running on the 2X is a very good thing™

As for sound, xBaK uses a MIDI engine if I remember and SDL_Sound (been a long time since I glanced at the code, I was looking at a 2X port myself). Have you got the necessary libs setup in your tool chain?

DJWillis said:
Simple reply. Awesome :).

BaK is great and getting it running on the 2X is a very good thing™

As for sound, xBaK uses a MIDI engine if I remember and SDL_Sound (been a long time since I glanced at the code, I was looking at a 2X port myself). Have you got the necessary libs setup in your tool chain?
I started with the setup put together by Yaustar, RC4. Which has the devkit and open2x tool chains. Im using the devkit chain at the moment.

I dont think im doing anything wrong in making the SDL_sound lib. The dynamic DLL for windows works, compiled from the same code. I put printf statements in the static lib for GP2X and traced to the function that seg faults. That proves that the lib is being compiled in, and some of the code runs.
I almost wonder if im running out of memory or something. SDL_sound does use malloc's, i was almost tempted to try some upper 32mb functions from the WIKI. Really as I think about it I should try just playing a small MIDI file in a very small app and see if it works then.

As always Ive been getting very good feedback from Guido the guy who's actually writing xBak. He also doesnt like SDL_sound and is looking for a replacement. I believe its only used to decode the MIDI clips and the clips are then fed back into SDL_mixer. If anyone has a better method, im sure he would be interested.

Ok, i put together a release package with the windows and GP2X versions. Im sure it made into the archieves, I was getting license error, i guess we will see.
Its evildragon that approves the files correct?

Back