Xbak An Engine For Betrayal At Krondor

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
FYI for all,
Im trying to port this over to the GP2X, it does compile and does start, but it crashes near the beginning. I do have the win32 versino working, so I think its just a matter of workng with the original developer to figure out whats going wrong on the GP2X side.
The game engine isnt completed yet, but once I make the minor changes neeeded (controls) it should be able to run on the GP2X nicely when it is finished.

Right now the engine plays some images from the intro and does a little bit of the 3d view.

xBak

(if any mods read this, I initialy posted this in the news section but didnt really want it on the main page, but im not sure if that was possible. So I think my original post is stuck in the bit bucket, if you can find it please just delete it)

virusx said:
That game looks nice. Never played the original.
I wish you good luck for this :)
you can find the original in certain places where it is considered abandoned. I do have the original CD.
The game is an RPG and has a square based tactical battle system. You also move about the world in pseudo 3d. As you move you can see objects, such as people, buildings, tress, monsters, chests...so on. It was quite an amazing game at the time.
Betrayal in Antara was a sequel that improved on graphics, different world though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh! Now this is something to look forward to! I also have the original stashed somewhere. I can't remember when I last had a PC that ran it though.

Anyway, good luck Pickle, I'll definitely be putting this on my Gp2x.

Zeladin said:
Oh! Now this is something to look forward to! I also have the original stashed somewhere. I can't remember when I last had a PC that ran it though.

Just remember that the engine itself isnt finished, so its not a playable game yet.

Pickle said:
Zeladin said:

Just remember that the engine itself isnt finished, so its not a playable game yet.
...Once its done :)

I gotta watch those ambiguous sentences. If you need play testing etc, I'll probably be kicking around - but I can see this isn't quite at that stage yet.

Zeladin said:
Pickle said:
Zeladin said:

...Once its done :)

I gotta watch those ambiguous sentences. If you need play testing etc, I'll probably be kicking around - but I can see this isn't quite at that stage yet.

You can always gave the source from the link I gave and run on a x86 linux/win32 machine

Oh wow oh wow. Please keep going with this one! :) I still have BaK, it was released as freeware so can be legally downloaded if you find it online, they released it to promote the sequel I think. I wonder if it would look good on the handheld, hopefully we'll find out one day!

So is this open source or do you have permission of the original developer you mention?

Its great you're doing it either way, I wish you best of luck!

InsertFaveGameNameHere said:
Oh wow oh wow. Please keep going with this one! :) I still have BaK, it was released as freeware so can be legally downloaded if you find it online, they released it to promote the sequel I think. I wonder if it would look good on the handheld, hopefully we'll find out one day!

So is this open source or do you have permission of the original developer you mention?

Its great you're doing it either way, I wish you best of luck!
Thanks, im trying....

Im not sure if its freeware, I suppose it could be abandoned since dynamix no longer exists. If you have a source on this post it.

The original project is GPL, you can find it on sourceforge, just search xBak.

I have both version win32 and gp2x versions compiling as stated before.
Win32 works, Gp2x is crashing

The problem is boiling down to opening of the resource files. The file is being opened, I proved that, but when a read is done the FAILBIT of the ifstream is being set. If anyone has some ideas on this I open to ideas. Heres the code:

void
FileBuffer::Load(std::ifstream &ifs)
{
if (ifs.is_open()) {
current = buffer;
ifs.read((char *)buffer, size);
if (ifs.bad()) {
throw IOError("BADBIT " __FILE__, __LINE__);
}
else if (ifs.fail()) {
throw IOError("FAILBIT " __FILE__, __LINE__);
}
} else {
throw OpenError(__FILE__, __LINE__);
}
}

Betrayal At Krondor is one of the finest games ever made, I had this when originally released and I remember bunking of college for a few days to play the game :)

Guyfawkes said:
Betrayal At Krondor is one of the finest games ever made
Agree!

Im making some progress debugging the GP2X version. I added some debug statements and I was incorrect in suspecting the ifstream. The file is being opened and read. The problem is a certain point in reading a buffer the file data the wrong answers are coming back, actually shifted by one byte, which results in a EOF.
For example the data will be 00 E8 06 in the file, the win32 version will give 06E8, where the Gp2X version will give E800. This portion of the code is using byte swapping functions from SDL_endian.h. I need to dig into it more, Im not sure if its limited to 16 bit, since I did one test with 32 bit version and both win32 and GP2X give the correct data.

Pickle said:
IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE!
Congratulations, was one of my favourite games of all time. alonmg with StarControl 2 and Ultima7. (Which both exist on the gp2x)

However, I sold my GP2X a week ago for US$220. Hopefully I can use this on the F-200. :)

icurafu said:
Pickle said:
IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE!
Congratulations, was one of my favourite games of all time. alonmg with StarControl 2 and Ultima7. (Which both exist on the gp2x)

However, I sold my GP2X a week ago for US$220. Hopefully I can use this on the F-200. :)

You know it would be realy cool with the touch screen. (Adding controls next)

Pickle said:
icurafu said:
Pickle said:
IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE!

You know it would be realy cool with the touch screen. (Adding controls next)

Agreed. And so would Ultima 7. :D

Back