Wtf? Ok Who Listed This One....

Perky_Goth said:
Mr Loon said:
@ all those complaining :

This is free market capitalism in action, get used to it.

So is selling Credit Default Swaps. Doesn't mean it doesn't have a negative impact in the world.
I'm not going to insult him because it's not worth it. But it is not a good thing.

:blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Perky_Goth said:
Mr Loon said:

So is selling Credit Default Swaps. Doesn't mean it doesn't have a negative impact in the world.
I'm not going to insult him because it's not worth it. But it is not a good thing.

Now you're being extremely silly, bordering on flat-out stupid. In what way does Jumpman selling pandoras on eBay hav a "negative impact in the world"? As has been said above - He has ordered at the same time as everybody else, he has supported OP with money, he has not somehow forced anybody else out of the queue (up until at least quite recently, there was no problem getting in on the first batch), and at the moment he is actually doing rather good PR for OP by demonstrating the rather high demand for the units (which leads to people noticing and ordering for themselves). It will also be a help for OP in motivating a somewhat higher price for the next batch, thus enabling them to recoup some of their losses.

So, what is the negative impact on the world? That you, personally, hasn't gotten your pandora yet? Who's the selfish git, then?

(No, I haven't got mine either. I still cheer Jumpman)

I'm sure everyone knows my views, but I'll say it anyway. Good luck on your sales mate!
You took a massive risk and it's paying off.
You never jumped in a week ago and jumped the queue, you've had all that money invested in the project from the get go.
There was Pandora's available up until when they started to ship them so, you actually helped, not hindered the project.

I have know idea how long they will be able to sell at such a high price, so hope it all works out for ya.

Perky_Goth said:
Mr Loon said:

Credit Default swaps only exist due to fractional banking; which is certainly not free-market capitalism.

hedwards said:
ledow said:
I don't understand the hate. If someone wants to sell something they own and someone else is willing to give them what they think is a fair price, there's not much there to comment on. Supply and demand.
Capitalism is the reason why America remains a savage place to live. And I say that as a life long American. This pisses me off for largely the same reason that it pisses me off when the rich get unearned, undeserved tax breaks for having screwed the rest of us over.

Beautifully said.

This situation can be surmised be the great Lebowski....

"You're not wrong Walter, you're just an asshole"

Everything is about the almighty dollar now-a-days. I understand that. It just felt like this project had a more pure purpose, at least for now. I realize how trite and naive that sounds, but in my mind everyone in the first batch was my brother, people who shared a bond over something that transcended a "sound business investment".

authoreyes said:
Beautifully said.

Everything is about the almighty dollar now-a-days. I understand that. It just felt like this project had a more pure purpose, at least for now. I realize how trite and naive that sounds, but in my mind everyone in the first batch was my brother, people who shared a bond over something that transcended a "sound business investment".
So what's changed?
The fact that he invested, took that risk because he believed in OPT more than other, he was willing to put his money where his mouth was. He had a lot more to loose than people who just bought one!

I'm sure he didn't expect them to go for as much as they have, I doubt anyone did.

Na-Noo said:
authoreyes said:
Beautifully said.

So what's changed?
The fact that he invested, took that risk because he believed in OPT more than other, he was willing to put his money where his mouth was. He had a lot more to loose than people who just bought one!

I'm sure he didn't expect them to go for as much as they have, I doubt anyone did.

I guess there is a difference to me in "believe in OPT, so I will purchase as a monetary investment" versus something that you've hoped/dreamt/spend personal time developing software for as a personal device. Really, why not just invest in stock then? I guess regardless of the amount of money it may make, I wouldn't sell it. Hell, I have some old collectors items that I could make a profit on, but I am not gonna hock everything that means something to me for a quick buck.

Again, I don't begrudge people, it's just not what I though first batchers were about. Again, naive on my part.

hedwards said:
Capitalism is the reason why America remains a savage place to live. And I say that as a life long American.

Jumpman said:
Yeah, I stopped caring what others thought a few years out of highschool when I realized that no would was taking care of me, but "ME"!

Aaaand that pretty much says it all.

But "it all" being said, I prefer to be uncapitalist and admit that the project doesn't suffer greatly just because someone besides me gets a Pandora. And anyway, these auctions help my argument that the second batch should have a higher price. :D

authoreyes said:
I guess there is a difference to me in "believe in OPT, so I will purchase as a monetary investment" versus something that you've hoped/dreamt/spend personal time developing software for as a personal device. Really, why not just invest in stock then? I guess regardless of the amount of money it may make, I wouldn't sell it. Hell, I have some old collectors items that I could make a profit on, but I am not gonna hock everything that means something to me for a quick buck.

Again, I don't begrudge people, it's just not what I though first batchers were about. Again, naive on my part.
I think your personal view depends on how much you are involved in economics in general. If you knew how much small companies suffer from not getting capital when they need it, you'd think differently. Many ordinary employed people do not understand the needs of companies. There are new systems invented to overcome these problems. One way is founding organisations of private investors who loan money to smll companies which have ideas the investors believe in and thus give the money to start a project. In real life these people(like jumpman as a single investor in this case) are considered to be almost charitable persons. It's a matter of fairness that these people earn money when the project is successful.

All you people who think those persons are greedy should educate yourself in economics, as you don't know what you are talking about.

First things first. I have no problem with him or anyone else selling the Ps.
I am, as the rest of us, really REALLY surprised over the price and that's all.

Where I have a slight problem with is that we, at least in ED's shop, were told that we only can buy 2 Ps max.
Now I wonder how Jumpmann has bought more then 2. I remember there was a guy from the US offering to order 5 or so and sell them in the US as there was no official distributor and there were those problems with the credit cards, which Americans seem to prefer (no offence, just stating). Now I wonder, if he was that guy and if so, I like his style of being the "in-official distributor in the US" ;)

And to all those who are still waiting like I am: We will NEVER be able to get over $500 for them. At least that is what I think.

mali said:
authoreyes said:

I think your personal view depends on how much you are involved in economics in general. If you knew how much small companies suffer from not getting capital when they need it, you'd think differently. Many ordinary employed people do not understand the needs of companies. There are new systems invented to overcome these problems. One way is founding organisations of private investors who loan money to smll companies which have ideas the investors believe in and thus give the money to start a project. In real life these people(like jumpman as a single investor in this case) are considered to be almost charitable persons. It's a matter of fairness that these people earn money when the project is successful.

All you people who think those persons are greedy should educate yourself in economics, as you don't know what you are talking about.

Ugh...

Ok, yes, I understand all that...I work for a 10 person startup right now....

There is a difference between investors and consumers reselling your product...These were, in reality, consumers, yes? OP may have used them as funding, but that doesn't change the fact that they purchased the product, not invested money for shares in the company....

EDIT:

Sorry - I realized I left out my other part....While you may see the symbiotic relationship, I still reserve the right to judge the ebay scavenger...

But, actually, Mali, you bring up a good point...

What is the drive behind the OPT team? I guess I assumed it was hobbyists who wanted to build something they wanted to own/use, and potentially make a bit of money... But, realistically, going forward, do they see themselves becoming a full-on, full time company? Do they want that?

^ His shares are the actual units. He believed in the project and invested. He didn't take away places in the queue from other people, he filled up cancelled preorder spots. You can turn around things at will, but after all he supported the project and can do with his units what he wants.

edit:
To answer your edit, the answer to this question is the most unclear in the whole project. It's like a quantum mechanical observation, we will know it when things stop moving ;)

mali said:
^ His shares are the actual units. He believed in the project and invested. He didn't take away places in the queue from other people, he filled up cancelled preorder spots. You can turn around things at will, but after all he supported the project and can do with his units what he wants.

edit:
To answer your edit, the answer to this question is the most unclear in the whole project. It's like a quantum mechanical observation, we will know it when things stop moving ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset he got his or took away spots. It's really not about that. I think I just somehow managed to romanticize this project and it's community and believe that everyone was in this for the betterment of open source development. Which, again is stupid. I think in daily life there is so much greed and corporate scandal and middle management doing things for personal gain that at times it kills my passion for coding. Discovering OP and it's community was justification for still thinking emulation and homebrew is cool :) So yes, I attach an unfair standard to this and want it to be purely tech-altruistic...which, again, is absurd...

So, when I see an ebay listing treating this wonderful machine like a set of Ginsu knives, it conflicts with my romantic visions. I think that speaks to the wonderful people involved with everything pandora....It feels like someone is offloading a friend :)

Ugh....too much work is making me crazy....

mali said:

edit:

But to measure it would be to disrupt it! We have to accept they are and aren't a company at the same time!

^ You are ok, authoreyes :) Keep this spirit. I might take multiple standpoints, but your's is definitely admirable :)

authoreyes said:
But to measure it would be to disrupt it! We have to accept they are and aren't a company at the same time!
:lol: Well, the proper quantum analogy would be to say that we have to accept that "company" and "not company" are abstractions which don't fully apply to what they are, and instead they are in some third state which exhibits some properties of each nature.

Kicker said:
authoreyes said:
:lol: Well, the proper quantum analogy would be to say that we have to accept that "company" and "not company" are abstractions which don't fully apply to what they are, and instead they are in some third state which exhibits some properties of each nature.

:) - well said...

Back