Wow, Over A Year Late?

Awakening said:
There would be no warranty on the new board if you do the job yourself.

Personally, I wouldn't mind as long as the new boards are tested (no DOA boards thx).
I've actually never used any warranties...

Last edited by a moderator:
Willrandship said:
There is something worse about that thing than the pandora! (well two if you're like me)

1. It only has 6 hours battery life, pandora has 9-12 projected. Better!!
2. It runs Windows XP. Not just windows, but the now obsolete version. Microsoft has officially dropped all update support for it. it had better run linux, or I won't even consider one!
haha yeah, i agree. i was kinda thinking from a "well as windows things go" perspective. i bet you could install linux on it. XP isnt as touchscreen friendly is it? i wonder how much battery life they could get with the same linux distro. anyhoo, yeah, concur completely

Willrandship said:
2. It runs Windows XP. Not just windows, but the now obsolete version. Microsoft has officially dropped all update support for it. it had better run linux, or I won't even consider one!

to play to some ~3years old computer games (the one that will play nicely on this hardware) I'dd prefer quite much windows XP... seems like it's a plus if you buy that device to play games...

MDave said:
Now that I think about it, this sounds like how PC's work. It basically is a PC, but in a much smaller form factor :p

You'll be asking for picoPCI connectors and nanoDIMM Slots next! :p

I'm GLAD the Pandora isn't 'basically a PC'. I want to be able to download pnd files and be guaranteed that they'll work on my system without having to check if it's compatible with my hardware or if I need to have a specific upgrade first.

Even if Pandora 2 (and I hope it's not called 'Pandora 2', but that's a different story...) *does" use the same case as Pandora 1, and I think it would be a bad idea to make that decision at this point, I will be buying a whole new unit. I'm sure I or somebody else will still find plenty of use for my original system!

Pleng said:
I want to be able to download pnd files and be guaranteed that they'll work on my system without having to check if it's compatible with my hardware or if I need to have a specific upgrade first.

Yea. That is the Pandora 'killer app' - here is EVERYONES spec

I remember thinking '333Mhz? That's feckin crazy fast'
Then I needed more memory to run some app. Then a new graphics card for some other app. Then I needed a new PC to run both.

Getting the best out of the available hardware, rather than some arbitrary upgrades.

Willrandship said:
aesir911 said:
Sphinxter said:
Read this and quit asking for a damn camera.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8460899.stm

i still want my damn camera...

Then plug one into the USB, it's not that hard, and it will work. Plus, you get to choose camera quality, so no complaints about cheap parts and wasted components!

usb camera? heck no. i want my built in camera. does anyone know if usb keyboards and mice will work with the Pandora? or will we find that out through trial and error?

aesir911 said:
Willrandship said:
aesir911 said:
Sphinxter said:
Read this and quit asking for a damn camera.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8460899.stm

i still want my damn camera...

Then plug one into the USB, it's not that hard, and it will work. Plus, you get to choose camera quality, so no complaints about cheap parts and wasted components!

usb camera? heck no. i want my built in camera. does anyone know if usb keyboards and mice will work with the Pandora? or will we find that out through trial and error?

Read this and then go to the USB compatibility list.

Vlynndar said:

i've read both actually. doesn't really help when the compatibility list isn't for sure working on the Pandora. says all of them have been tested on linux, but not the Pandora. was just wondering if anyone knew for sure...

aesir911 said:
does anyone know if usb keyboards and mice will work with the Pandora? or will we find that out through trial and error?
HID compatible stuff works out of the box. You need a hub or mini USB adaptor though, I think.

aesir911 said:
Vlynndar said:

i've read both actually. doesn't really help when the compatibility list isn't for sure working on the Pandora. says all of them have been tested on linux, but not the Pandora. was just wondering if anyone knew for sure...

Yes, as it says in the first post of that thread,
Prometheus said:
At the time of writing, everything on the list has been tested on Linux. The reason this is relevant is because the chances are that if a device works on one Linux distribution it will likely work on another - including the Pandora's. This is because a lot of devices are supported in the kernel, meaning that they don't need additional drivers to be loaded.

Vlynndar said:
aesir911 said:
Vlynndar said:

Yes, as it says in the first post of that thread,
Prometheus said:
At the time of writing, everything on the list has been tested on Linux. The reason this is relevant is because the chances are that if a device works on one Linux distribution it will likely work on another - including the Pandora's. This is because a lot of devices are supported in the kernel, meaning that they don't need additional drivers to be loaded.

i just rather not spend any money before it's confirmed. i thought that one of the lucky with the pandoras would test a few usb devices.

aesir911 said:
i just rather not spend any money before it's confirmed. i thought that one of the lucky with the pandoras would test a few usb devices.

As long as it's standard stuff and works with linux on your PC without extra drivers, it'll work.

aesir911> You're worrying too much... pretty much all keyboard and mice are HID device and will work with the Pandora. The developers of the Pandora have use them with the Pandora board since pretty much forever.

The only thing to remember is that Keyboard and mice are USB1 device so you will need either a OTG adapter or a USB2 hub to connect it to the Pandora.

Now, I don't want to upset anyone here, but when the Pandora was originally announced, the iPhone was just taking off, and nobody had really heard of Android.

Back then the thought of having a portable computer in your pocket was exciting. Now many of us have just that.

I fail to see what the Pandora offers over, say the Motorola Droid. The Droid has thousands of apps (vast majority free) available and tailored specifically for working on the move. Plus, it has 3g.

Now, you will all say that the Pandora has gaming capabilities, but what we'll probably see is yet another version of Snes9x and ports of the same old games. Android has many really good quality games available cheaply or free. It really is the saviour of the bedroom coder. Furthermore, the iPhone is emerging as a serious challenger to the DS/PSP.

It is clear to me that the future is about convergence. Phones will eventually take over as the primary device for internet browsing and playing games.

declaration said:
Now, I don't want to upset anyone here, but when the Pandora was originally announced, the iPhone was just taking off, and nobody had really heard of Android.

Back then the thought of having a portable computer in your pocket was exciting. Now many of us have just that.

I fail to see what the Pandora offers over, say the Motorola Droid. The Droid has thousands of apps (vast majority free) available and tailored specifically for working on the move. Plus, it has 3g.

Now, you will all say that the Pandora has gaming capabilities, but what we'll probably see is yet another version of Snes9x and ports of the same old games. Android has many really good quality games available cheaply or free. It really is the saviour of the bedroom coder. Furthermore, the iPhone is emerging as a serious challenger to the DS/PSP.

It is clear to me that the future is about convergence. Phones will eventually take over as the primary device for internet browsing and playing games.
I use Android every day. Gaming on that is nothing compared to the potential of the Pandora, I really don't think Abduction, as much fun as it is, is going to threaten a N64 emu, or w/e. Gaming on the iPhone/Pod. Nice Button.

The Pandora is designed to game. Those phones were not.

(naw)mcx said:
declaration said:

I use Android every day. Gaming on that is nothing compared to the potential of the Pandora, I really don't think Abduction, as much fun as it is, is going to threaten a N64 emu, or w/e. Gaming on the iPhone/Pod. Nice Button.

The Pandora is designed to game. Those phones were not.
Maybe they weren't, but they have become gaming systems, and there are lots of exciting and original ideas out there.

I'd rather support that than playing the same old N64 games over and over again.

marshal said:
aesir911> You're worrying too much... pretty much all keyboard and mice are HID device and will work with the Pandora. The developers of the Pandora have use them with the Pandora board since pretty much forever.

The only thing to remember is that Keyboard and mice are USB1 device so you will need either a OTG adapter or a USB2 hub to connect it to the Pandora.

good to know. still a little cautious though! :D i was looking at using an xbox 360 controller. what would i need to buy to get that to work with the emulators? would i need a usb2 hub? would it work properly with the pandora? (that's why i'm a little hesitant.)

Have you actually used a Droid or iphone for internet browsing?
If so, then imagine firing up the Pandora and running Chrome or Firefox, for a normal browsing experience.
Miles apart.
The iphone has too low a screen resolution, so you are continually pinching and scrolling to see anything.
The Droid has higher resolution than the iphone, but a much smaller screen than the Pandora, you have to zoom in and out all the time.

The Pandora will be like a normal desktop experience.
I have a Nokia 770 with similar screen size to the Pandora, and can attest to the fact that it is very readable at 800 by 480 by 4.3" diagonal.

Back