Wow, Over A Year Late?

Vitel said:
Pleng said:
Vitel said:
It's definitely not my future, because I prefer the UNIX way: when a single device provides one particular feature, but does it well. That's why I have three separate devices: Nokia 1202 (a cellphone), Panasonic TZ5 (a photo camera) and Zaurus C1000 (PDA, which is gonna be replaced with Pandora).
Is it too heavy for you? Maybe. But I'm not a weak chick and carry 0.5 kg with ease.

It's not a question of strength; I can carry a 2Kg laptop with reasonable ease. Still isn't practical. I only have so many pockets and I don't want them bulging with 3 or 4 devices - not to mention the hassle of trying to remember which device is in pocket.

Aside from my wallet and keys I can only hack carrying 2 devices on my person at once, and even that is 1 less than ideal.
There's a thing called backpack. You may find it interesting.

Actually, If you're wearing normal pants, there are these things called pockets.
Let's see...
Keys in the fifth pocket thing
Wallet in the back pocket...
cell phone in one front pocket, along with my sansa clip and headphones
N810 in the other front pocket

and if you've got carpenter pants, your cell phone fits nicely in the little pocket down the leg - leaving plenty of space.

Honestly, this is what I really want:
A phone the size of my clip.
No screen, no buttons (on and off, I guess). A 3/4g radio + bluetooth radio is quite sufficient.

So I use a bluetooth headset, and can control it over a bluetooth as serial link - i.e. with ANY DEVICE I WANT.
I use the little button on my bluetooth headset to get a call.
So I use the N810 with an serial console and type ATDT XXX5552345 and make a call. I type atms read and it spits out my SMS messages. It bridges whatever device I have to the internet, safely and securely (which is ONE of the reasons a mifi is out).

An iPod touch App can control it, making it nice and shiny, and making it so that I don't have to upgrade all the radios and expensive fcc crap because I want the 3gs instead of the 3g, and I don't need to redo my contract to make it possible.
When my touchscreen is all scratched, I could just get a new iPod instead of dealing with all the hassle of a new contract.

I can even use my netbook to make calls, send sms messages, read my messages, and get mms photos, etc.

Making it without a screen, without buttons, without an overpriced and underpowered app thing attached means it can run off a small battery for the whole day.

And if it's nice a small, you can fit it in any pocket you want.
I would buy one of those in a heartbeat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vitel said:

Wow thanks I'd never seen one of those before.

There is one slight flaw to that plan however. I'm buying my Pandora as a portable gaming device/computer. A backpack makes the Pandora no more portable than a Laptop. If I was going to carry a backpack around with me everywhere I go I'd have no need for a Pandora. I'd stick a netbook and a couple of usb gamepads in my bag.

Pleng said:
Vitel said:

There is one slight flaw to that plan however. I'm buying my Pandora as a portable gaming device/computer. A backpack makes the Pandora no more portable than a Laptop. If I was going to carry a backpack around with me everywhere I go I'd have no need for a Pandora. I'd stick a netbook and a couple of usb gamepads in my bag.

agreed, and to further that, i'm an american male. i can't carry around a purse like a british man. and a backpack is too lanky.

aesir911 said:
agreed, and to further that, i'm an american male. i can't carry around a purse like a british man. and a backpack is too lanky.
Fanny pack.

WizardStan said:
aesir911 said:
Fanny pack.

again, we don't get away with that sort of stuff over here without looking a little...

fannypack.jpg

WizardStan said:
aesir911 said:
Fanny pack.
Or even better, one of these.

aesir911 said:
Pleng said:
Vitel said:

:-|| i swear we don't carry around purses either. Well i don't know anybody who does. XD

Vlynndar said:
leather-messenger-bag-wbm-8.jpg
This isn't uncommon. But then you could carry an entire laptop =p

I do that. I carry my laptop bag with me everywhere, even though I usually don't have my laptop with me. It's just wrong that men can't have bags in some countries. They're so handy!

SONY said:
Those colours in the previous page look like, GAY PRIDE colours?

that's the point. any guy caught with one of those or a man purse (or whatever the brits call 'em) will be labeled as such... then shot.

aesir911 said:
SONY said:
Those colours in the previous page look like, GAY PRIDE colours?

that's the point. any guy caught with one of those or a man purse (or whatever the brits call 'em) will be labeled as such... then shot.

What a homophobic society you've got there. Ok, enough of this, let's get back on the subject.... where were we?

last thing we were talking about was how many devices we carried at a time. so either way you look at it, we are off topic...

can't carry 3 measly phones? check out this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nuj4IvVbvhI

and this is his vest:

http://www.scottevest.com/

:)

Back