Would Love A D-Pad

kingbuzzo

Still Fresh
The hardware looks decent in this device. I was very hopeful when I first got the original GP2X, but the D-Stick was horrible and pretty much ruined the device for me. The D-pad on the Wiz is an upgrade, but still seems rather half assed, and lets not forget the screen tearing.

Pandora has a great D-pad and powerful hardware, but the screen is so underwhelming for those who are really bothered by the ghosting (especially at that price!)

Granted, I assume the Caanoo will have a fair amount of ghosting, but it's forgivable at that price I think. However, yes I am one of those who are bothered by the analog controls. For most it's fine. But when you've been playing some of these title for years on a genesis/saturn dpad, it's hard to justify putting up cash for anything else.

I know it must be possible, but would be quite a task to implement. Does the board even have solder points for absolute directionals?

kingbuzzo said:
The hardware looks decent in this device. I was very hopeful when I first got the original GP2X, but the D-Stick was horrible and pretty much ruined the device for me. The D-pad on the Wiz is an upgrade, but still seems rather half assed, and lets not forget the screen tearing.

Pandora has a great D-pad and powerful hardware, but the screen is so underwhelming for those who are really bothered by the ghosting (especially at that price!)

Granted, I assume the Caanoo will have a fair amount of ghosting, but it's forgivable at that price I think. However, yes I am one of those who are bothered by the analog controls. For most it's fine. But when you've been playing some of these title for years on a genesis/saturn dpad, it's hard to justify putting up cash for anything else.

I know it must be possible, but would be quite a task to implement. Does the board even have solder points for absolute directionals?
I don't think it's worth it, but if you want to mod your Caanoo, go ahead. It may be possible. I think some emulators support USB gamepads... maybe you could make one into a custom grip controller for the Caanoo.
I've had problems playing Link to the Past, Streets of Rage 2, and Shinobi 3 with the analog stick. It's a lot harder to double-tap for the latter two games, and my thumbs hurt after a while while playing Link to the Past. It's a LOT better than the Nintendo DS' D-Pad (that think was really uncomfortable) and a bit better than the PSP's slide stick. I use my PSP for games that really need a D-Pad. Even the PSP's slide stick will work for those games better.

I don't have any decent gamepads, one has an analog D-Pad, and the other is really cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the screen has any ghosting, which may be surprising to some. The analog controls are fine for the most part. You could attempt to mod it.

SolarLune said:
I don't think the screen has any ghosting, which may be surprising to some. The analog controls are fine for the most part. You could attempt to mod it.
The analog control is best for games like Outrun or Quake, for example. It's a pretty good analog stick; I like how it has a concave surface. I haven't noticed any ghosting on my screen so far. It would be pretty cool to see a mod. The biggest problem would probably be getting it open. My fingers are sore because I just tried to pry mine open to fix a button.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back