Would It Be Worth It To Sell My Mki Rev B. For An Mkii?

djgamer

Still Fresh
I got mine way back in November '05, and used it for about a week until problems started cropping up left & right.. the joystick was bugging out, it wouldn't recognize my SD card, the firmware still had a bunch of problems and so on, so I decided to put it away in storage and wait until the software matured.

Fast foward 9-months later when I moved into a different house and I stumbled back onto this, having completely forgotten about it. I find out they released a newer version made at a different factory that solves a bunch of problems I had, but the distributor I ordered it from closed shop in July. :(

Now, my question is, would it be worth it to sell my GP2X on eBay for ~$140 or so and copping an MKII?

djgamer posted on Aug 31 2006 at 07:43 AM said:
I got mine way back in November '05, and used it for about a week until problems started cropping up left & right.. the joystick was bugging out, it wouldn't recognize my SD card, the firmware still had a bunch of problems and so on, so I decided to put it away in storage and wait until the software matured.

Fast foward 9-months later when I moved into a different house and I stumbled back onto this, having completely forgotten about it. I find out they released a newer version made at a different factory that solves a bunch of problems I had, but the distributor I ordered it from closed shop in July. :(

Now, my question is, would it be worth it to sell my GP2X on eBay for ~$140 or so and copping an MKII?
I am sure a buyer would be eternally grateful to you for having been sold a duff machine. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's not broken in any shape or form, and it'll still boot up and run games/apps, but..

I don't know, I'd prefer a MKII. This joystick is really ruining it for me.

As long as you are honest in your ebay description, I can't see a problem with selling the mkI on ebay. I'm sure someone would be able to fix it.

Be aware, the screen on the new ones are garbage compared to the old ones in my opinion.

The screen is a mixed bag. The old one blurs the image more like an analog TV so those who enjoy the 'poor man's antialiasing' this provides, to make a scene look like it has more colors or is smoother, will like the MK1 screens more in all likelihood. However the MK2 screens remove the scanlining issue on MK1 screens .. while looking sharper, but more pixellated and digitized, which some people may or may not be fond of. Apparently viewing angle is also not as good on the MK2.

If I had to break it down simply ..
MK1 Screen: Superior for multiple viewers at once, low-color games.
MK2 Screen: Inferior for multiple viewers, but superior for high-color games and multimedia.

Overall the MK2 part is the one better suited for the '2x. You just don't put an interlaced display in a handheld if you can avoid it, especially if you can't get it to play nice with the MMSP2's LCD controller.

I bought my first edition in November 05 aswell, and had the same problems as you, but with updating the firmware (twice - once upto 1.2.1 and then to 2.0 ofcourse) its been fine, most issues ironed out.

I have got use to the stick now, but thats probably only because I play the thing everyday, but there are alternatives for you to replace it at very low prices around £2.00 I think.

If it were me, I would keep the mk1, upgrade the firmware and buy a new stick. B)

Hm, thanks for the advice. I guess for now I'll make do with what I have, but I've run into an entirely different problem: I grabbed the 2.0 firmware here, and I followed it step by step for my 256mb PNY SD card, but then it hangs at "firmware updating." I tried a SanDisk SD card with no avail.

I guess tommorow I'll stop at Staples and pick up another cheapo SD card on the 'working list' and see if that makes a difference. :huh:

but there are alternatives for you to replace it at very low prices around £2.00 I think.

If it were me, I would keep the mk1, upgrade the firmware and buy a new stick. cool.gif

Sounds good, you got any links? If I do keep the MK1, I'd be willing to send my GP2X in to get the stick replaced, or hell, I'd even be up for doing it myself. (granted it was easy enough)

The screen is a mixed bag. The old one blurs the image more like an analog TV so those who enjoy the 'poor man's antialiasing' this provides, to make a scene look like it has more colors or is smoother, will like the MK1 screens more in all likelihood. However the MK2 screens remove the scanlining issue on MK1 screens .. while looking sharper, but more pixellated and digitized, which some people may or may not be fond of. Apparently viewing angle is also not as good on the MK2.

If I had to break it down simply ..
MK1 Screen: Superior for multiple viewers at once, low-color games.
MK2 Screen: Inferior for multiple viewers, but superior for high-color games and multimedia.

Thanks, that'll be helpful in deciding what to do.

djgamer,

In a lot of ways I find the MK1 with a new cap and a recent F/W to be a tidy little machine.

Not so keen on the MK2 screens personally, a properly setup MK1 TopSun screen is a lovely display and after some cap tweaks the diagonal bias on the MK1 stick does not overly bother me in use.

The build of the very 1st runs of the MK1 where a bit dodgy *cough* with headphone sockets and the like falling off but I understand that the later revs and MK2’s are just fine.
If you don't have those sorts of problems then why not try a £2 new stick cap with F/W 2 and see how it goes. If you’re still not keen on it ask yourself if it's the physical unit or something else then consider MK2's, do you really want a GP2X etc. etc.

Note: I also replied to your mail RE: bricking.

djgamer posted on Aug 31 2006 at 05:57 AM said:
Sounds good, you got any links? If I do keep the MK1, I'd be willing to send my GP2X in to get the stick replaced, or hell, I'd even be up for doing it myself. (granted it was easy enough)

It's not that bad to install a D-Pad kit like Radek's, and I imagine DaveC's will be pretty easy to put in, but you do need good mechanical skills and to be able to solder; it's a bit of a hassle and more complicated than it looks on paper, I'll tell you that.

ATM, I'm not sure I'll buy a new GP2X. I have some inside info about a new open-source gaming-oriented PMP coming out of a startup company in Europe. I've seen a screenshot, and frankly, it blows the GP2X away. There's more than that that's better too, but I've probably already said too much, as I'm not sure if the info's supposed to be completely out yet, so I'll shut up now.

jmetal88 posted on Sep 1 2006 at 10:43 PM said:
Alex. posted on Aug 31 2006 at 09:54 PM said:
PM me a link to an imageshack upload if you may :)

- Alex

Sorry, man. I just got more word, two weeks before full details are released.

Mind telling us where we can see these details when they are released? Sounds interesting.

Epicenter posted on Sep 1 2006 at 11:35 PM said:
jmetal88 posted on Sep 1 2006 at 10:43 PM said:
Alex. posted on Aug 31 2006 at 09:54 PM said:
PM me a link to an imageshack upload if you may :)

- Alex

Sorry, man. I just got more word, two weeks before full details are released.

Mind telling us where we can see these details when they are released? Sounds interesting.

There's a website being put together. I'll post a link whenever it's ready.

Back