World News Thread (Politics,whatever)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are five named storms in the Atlantic right now. Paulette, Rene, Sally, Teddy, and Vicky.

No doubt warmer waters contributed to this. Please, for the love of God, people, stop peeing in the ocean.

Yup, for real. Ye be warned you naughty One Plus buyers...

The gloves were off on Tuesday as the US Government explicitly argued that all journalists are liable to prosecution under the Espionage Act (1917) for publishing classified information, citing the Rosen case. Counsel for the US government also argued that the famous Pentagon Papers supreme court judgement on the New York Times only referred to pre-publication injunction and specifically did not preclude prosecution under the Espionage Act. The US Government even surmised in court that such an Espionage Act prosecution of the New York Times may have been successful.

Your Man in the Public Gallery: Assange Hearing Day 10

all journalists are liable to prosecution
So... that's it, no more Journaling File System for me... I rather NOT be prosecco-cuted.
pity JFS2 is the default file system in AIX.

Reactions: rSl
Hey guys, a US Supreme Court vacancy just opened up.

Fortunately, it looks like enough Republicans in the Senate are willing to postpone filling the position until after the election. On the other hand, that could help rally the Republican base for the election.

A volcano that erupted, but not only through the throat (the hole on top), it actually erupted through many dikes in the flank (extra fissures) of the... ah, just watch the first minute of this:

Could not find one from the Galapagos, but there there were lava rivers. Also very beautiful to watch (from afar, very very afar)

Here is a bit of that:

We all know what this means! The PYRA is near!

Dissecting the BLM lie (English - with Dutch accent ;) ):

About that Supreme Court vacancy I mentioned... Two Republican senators have tested positive for COVID-19 today. Looking more likely the seat will be filled after the election.

It's been two days since the anouncement that USA president Trump has been tested positive for covid. So I thought I watch some CNN... it was the ONLY topic. After CNN there is Amanpour... it was the ONLY topic... man. If it was CNN USA, ok, but this is CNN international...

Sounds like the news is the same boring propaganda on loop that it usually is. The only thing about it that's interesting to me is why they want us to focus on Trump's supposed COVID-19 so badly.

If the platform doesn't serve up extreme opinions, unlike the way that western social media platforms apparently do, trolls aren't going to get the same degree of views. There's a problem of detecting those extreme views programatically then, but perhaps you could serve it to a few people and if they respond with quickly posted long posts containing swearing then perhaps you could detect that it's not a post for that audience before you share it more widely there. The only problem this platform seems susceptible to me is the tragedy of the commons, but in reality this seems to be more about influencing politicians than declaring direct laws, so they could help to avoid such depletions of resources.

As I read it, it is both a platform for citizens to complain/describe a better way of doing things, like a forum. And then this data is mined. The politician has a GUI with data from the dataminer to focus on threads and "consensus", ignoring the complaints and trolls.

The forum is special, you can not create new threads, but maybe there is a thread where you can propose new threads, or the moderator just creates threads around topics the government needs feedback. Not unlike the reactions forum of a newspaper, where you can only comment on an article.
So how do I see such a forum? Likes that tag things as:
  • "(s)he's go a point" (well phrased and explained ideas, neutral standing; the hmmm smiley or the star), not in the article, as a "significant" post would have many thumbs (up/down), so we do not need this one, we infer it.
  • the thumb up. Like (important-to-me ideas, positive standing)
  • the thumb down. I disagree (ignored tag, negative standing)

As for abuse of the system

So if I was a dictator, they would find consensus in the colour of the background drapes where I give my speeches (a topic I created on the forum).
And then I'd select the one colour they, "the people", chose (democracy!), and ignore posts that are off-topic (For example that talk about removing me from office... totally off topic).
Then, I'd give members the power to self-police (by using the thumb down). This way, people that are off-topic a lot will get CON points, and people that are on-topic and "harmonious" get PRO points. With every post you make, these numbers are visible (as badges; no need for them to test WHICH post of them changed their rating).
If you like a post that has CON points, you lower in ranking yourself, and viceversa. This promotes that posts of people with high PRO points float up due to suck-ups wanting their PRO rating to go up. The benefit of this is that these posts are highly favorable to me, and due to the high "like" rate, I can say that "the people" chose it... And posts from people with a too high CON rate get shadow banned (i.e. if they log in, their posts are visible to them, but nobody else sees their posts); however, they can still thumb up/down other's posts. And I'd give my internal affairs intelligence agency a GUI with the CON ratings.

interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back