Word Disassociation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmesis is to break up a word and create a new word by placing a second in the middle as in "Abso-bloody-lutely" in doing so you disrupt the original word rendering it no longer "sturdy".

*edit* link and in no way is diahorrea sturdy.

Oh well... fair play on both of those (obscure even my standards lol). And lets not start some like tmesis thing... I don't believe you got that one from anywhere but the other thread I got the idea for the game from lol!

Oh, and skysnapper, I'm afraid I'm going to object to turnip re: caraway; they are both, after all, foods. I'd have thought that was obvious :p

Anyways, next word:

theme

EDIT: posts while I typed :p ; not accepting the crit of sturdy, though, I'm afraid - abso-bloody-lutely is if anything rendered MORE sturdy by the addition of the central word, although most, I think, would agree that a word's sturdiness is not really affected by tmesis, although certainly its meaningful content might be.

Tobriand posted on Dec 14 2005 at 04:38 PM said:
Oh well... fair play on both of those (obscure even my standards lol). And lets not start some like tmesis thing... I don't believe you got that one from anywhere but the other thread I got the idea for the game from lol!

Oh, and skysnapper, I'm afraid I'm going to object to turnip re: caraway; they are both, after all, foods. I'd have thought that was obvious :p

Anyways, next word:

theme

Whilst I do listen to "I'm sorry I haven't a clue" I take slight umbridge at your disbelief that I couldn't know a word like tmesis of my own back. I know it as it is the only word in the English language to begin "tm".

Anyway:

pipette

Last edited by a moderator:
It just strikes me as unlikely that the same insanely obscure word would come up in two almost identical threads. Although *perhaps* I was too hasty in judging you lol.

anyways... encyclopaedia

breeze

Edit: "encyclopedia" is a risky one. I submit that an entry on pipette is found in an encyclopedia.

Tobriand posted on Dec 14 2005 at 04:48 PM said:
It just strikes me as unlikely that the same insanely obscure word would come up in two almost identical threads. Although *perhaps* I was too hasty in judging you lol.

anyways... encyclopaedia

Thank you sir ;)

Laminator

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... not sure about the encyclopaedia one. It's a little contentious, principally because such an entry may not be found in every encyclopaedia (notably childrens' encyclopaedieas, or encyclopaedias in Greek). Thus I'd say it's a tenuous link. Still, you get points for trying.

In the mean time, a dead GP2x is often referred to as a brick, and a brick is a type of prism. Sorry (naw)mcx :p

squirrel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back